Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #1 
OliverTheBetta

Please Help Identify: Disease or Not?

Hi,
This is Redmond below. He's had what I've thought was 'marbeling' all over his head since I got him and he acts just fine. But I'm worried about these spots on his face/head and am hoping the experts here can tell me if I have a real problem or if I'm just being paranoid. Of course, today, I thought he might be sluggish more than usual and laying at the bottom more than usual, but I can't really say for sure because I've got myself worked up about this. And the light spot in his lower eye, too.

Please share your expertise.
Thank you so much.

Name:  Redmond- close up face.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  48.8 KB
OliverTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #2 
OliverTheBetta

I just wanted to add, I thoroughly read the two stickies about diseases and treatments and the description(s) do not apply to Redmond. So I guess that's good news. As I said, only his head is affected and my initial thoughts were it's a marbling pattern.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #3 
Silverfang

He might be missing a scale or two on his head, but he doesn't look bad. I'd be more concerned that he looks kinda bloated. What is your feeding schedule and what do you feed him?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #4 
earthworm88

When I think about bloating, I usually think about the belly area by the ventral fins. But I agree with Silverfang, he looks kinda bloated, and that is to his entire body. I don't think this is a feeding issue though. The scales looks suspiciously not flat. And what is this fuzzy cloudy thingy near his head and top half of his body by this dorsal fin? Is that just something in the water, or is that fuzzy stuff on him?

Can you include other photos from different angle? especially from the top to see how his scales lay? Please also include the questionnaire to help us help you.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #5 
Brian10962001

He does look odd, might just be a really meaty betta. That mark on his gills looks like he's been in a fight before. If it's been there since you got him I don't think it's a concern. Please do provide some more pics though, if he's bloated that's not good.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #6 
OliverTheBetta

Housing
What size is your tank? one-half gallon or 1/2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 - 80 degrees Farenheit
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Flakes each morning, very small amount; in the evening, usually Betta Flakes again, but 1-2 times a week, I'll provide the freeze-dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually 2x a day, but very small portions. Only enough that they finish it within one minute.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly. On Sunday - 100% change, on Wednesday 30-50% change.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% on Sunday; 30-50% on Wednesday
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Betta Safe drops (bottle says 7 drops per gallon) and occassionally, I add Stress Coat + and/or Prime.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? NO If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The spot on the side of his head has always been there (well, since I got him about a month ago), but it seems like the color has gone from "matte" to "shiny".

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I might be paranoid, but he does seem like he has slowed down a bit and is laying on the bottom of his tank more than before. Not a drastic change, but slight.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's always had that spot on the side of his face since I got him about a month ago. The change from matte to shiny has been occurring the last week or two. Again, I thought I was being paranoid, so I took a wait and see approach.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yesterday, I added 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt and 1/2 teaspoon of Stress Coat +.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not since he's been with me - but I only got him about a month ago.

How old is your fish (approximately)? I really don't have the first clue to be honest.

Some of you have mentioned he might be bloated, so how do I know for sure? I have to admit, in that photo above, he looks like a stuffed sausage, but he's not really that "round" when you look down from the top. I'll try to add more photos this evening if I can get him to sit still for more than a half second!

I will double check the scales for flatness this evening, but I haven't noticed any "pine-coning" affect - but maybe I was so focused on the spot, I didn't notice it.

He's not really fuzzy, that is the picture. He has NO fuzz growing on him. I don't know how you guys get such good pictures of your fish because mine won't sit still for even a second! I felt really lucky to get the shot I got! He DOES have lighter color (almost white) spots on his face & head - like a marbling effect. And they have been there since I got him. No change to those, no increase or decrease in the number/size of them.

The mark on his gill has been there since I got him. It's not getting any bigger or changing in any way except it went from matte to shiny. And I'll try to get more pics this evening.

Last edited by OliverTheBetta; 12-07-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #7 
earthworm88

Actually that was a really good picture you took. If it weren't for the questionable spots or "fuzziness", he looks like a really good looking healthy betta. I laughed at your "sausage" comment lol He does look meaty, but I don't see anything wrong with that. One of mine has grown so much that he looks rather meaty himself, but I never described him as sausagey lol

Thank you for filling out the sticky. Couple things I could pick out immediately:

1) Water changing schedule. For a 1/2 gal tank, I would strongly recommend changing the water 100% every other day. If your betta gets stressed easily during water change, then I would suggest may be upgrade him to a larger tank so that you don't have to change the water as often.

2) 1/2 teaspoon of stress coat?! That's about 5 ml. I guess that's equivalent to about 50-100 drops? (depending on the dropper) for 1/2 gal of water. I think that might be overdosing? Someone correct me if I am wrong here. I don't use Stress Coat, so not sure of the actual dosage per gallon.

As for the spot, it might be an old injury as Brian suggested.

You are right, it is tough to take good photos of them as they are either too shy or just hate the camera lol I usually take mine when I am feeding him, so he is preoccupied and not paying attention to the camera
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #8 
Silverfang

That is larger than the recommended dosage, even for the medical dose. It shouldn't cause any harm, just try to give a smaller dose (.5ml would be sufficient).

Sausage, that is an interesting way of describing it. I'm wondering if it's flakes that's causing him to look like that, generally pellets are recommended, but that's not an overly important issue.

Aside from possibly changing his diet, a larger tank is the only thing I can think to recommend.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #9 
OliverTheBetta

Grrrr! I have taken at least 50 shots of him, most of which are so blurry you can't see squat! This one shot is the best to show you the spot(s) on his face. As you can see, it's SHINY. What is that?

Name:  Redmond- Day 2 Close Up.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  42.7 KB
Name:  Redmond- Day 2 Close Up (2).jpg
Views: 99
Size:  2.5 KB

I don't see any scales that look like pinecones or lifted in any way anywhere on his body. He might be too fat, so I'll cut back on the food for him, but now I'm wondering if he did indeed have some scales missing and now those places have turned shiny.

I just wish I knew what it was. I'm going to treat him with the AQ Salt and Stress Coat+ and change his water everyday. Maybe go gather some more Oak Leaves and steep them for his water.

And everybody, I DID put him in a larger tank. A 2.5 gallon and he HATED IT. He quit swimming around and stayed behind the filter in the corner (which had been first baffled and then turned off completely), and by the 3rd day, he refused to eat anything. Put him back in the 1/2 gallon and he perked right up. And yes, the spot on his face was there the whole time. So it didn't come from any of the tanks I had put him in.

I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but the spots are a shiny gold color if that helps with the identification of what's wrong with him.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate your input.

P.S. See? He doesn't look so fat in that pic, does he?

Last edited by OliverTheBetta; 12-07-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #10 
Silverfang

Ah, some just aren't happy in the larger tanks, a shame, but that's something you can't control. I was just making sure you had the best information, not trying to be mean. We both like happy healthy bettas :)