Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #1 
LoveMyBettas8885

Hello everyone!

I'm new to being a Betta owner so I want to learn as much as I can that way my little guys live for a long time. :) I purchased one of my Bettas a couple of months ago from Wal Mart, I saw him and felt so bad I had to bring him home. I'm not sure what kind of Betta he is?

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  64.7 KB

His name is Pearly and I love him so much! I'm going to start adding more decor to his tank so bare with me! :)

Last week I went to Wal Mart again and decided I'd take a little stroll by the Bettas... Next thing I knew I had already picked out another little guy and brought him home! He's a crown tail.

Name:  photo (1).jpg
Views: 95
Size:  28.4 KB

His name is Glow, I named him that because the beginning of his tail fin looks like it glows in the dark!

I have each one in a 2.5 gallon tank and I purchased water heaters for both of them because the water was getting way too cold and I was scared something would happen to them. I purchased a 7.5 watt heater that's for 2 to 5 gallons. I've had them in there basically all day today and the temperature has only gone up 2 degrees... I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if it just takes a while because the water was really cold?

I'm glad I found this forum, I'm ready to create new Betta friends and learn a lot on how to keep my Bettas happy and healthy! :D
LoveMyBettas8885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #2 
LittleBettas

Welcome!
Pearly is a vieltale (and a very handsome one at that!)

What kind of heater do you have?
When you gotit, did you follow the instructions when adding them (letting them sit in the water for 10-15 mins before plugging it in?)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #3 
LoveMyBettas8885

Thank you! I'm glad I know now what Pearly is! :D When I put the heaters in I let them sit for around 7 minutes and then put the Bettas in... The ones I bought are black and they look like small black tortillas... They're by the brand Hydor, they were $10.00.. I was told at Petco these were the only heaters that would work for the size tanks I have.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #4 
acadialover

Welcome LittleBetta,
I have a 25 watt heater in my 2.5 gallon. It keeps the tank at an even 80 degrees.
I got the Aqueon heater from PEtco.
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #5 
LittleBettas

The wattage is kind of small.... there is a 5 watts per gallon rule.... for a 2.5 gallon, it wold be better to have 15 watts (I have one in my 2.5 gallon)
whats the temp at now with the heaters in?
Sometimes just raising a couple degrees is enough, but it is extremelly hard to heat and maintain temps in smaller tanks....
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #6 
LoveMyBettas8885

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadialover View Post
Welcome LittleBetta,
I have a 25 watt heater in my 2.5 gallon. It keeps the tank at an even 80 degrees.
I got the Aqueon heater from PEtco.
Thank you, I think I'll have to go to Petco today then and exchange these to something with more watts. :)
Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #7 
LoveMyBettas8885

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
The wattage is kind of small.... there is a 5 watts per gallon rule.... for a 2.5 gallon, it wold be better to have 15 watts (I have one in my 2.5 gallon)
whats the temp at now with the heaters in?
Sometimes just raising a couple degrees is enough, but it is extremelly hard to heat and maintain temps in smaller tanks....
Oh wow.. I didn't know about that rule. I feel bad now. :( I'm new to all of this so as I learn these things I will be applying them to my Bettas. Are there any heaters that you reccommend? The other user uses Aqueon and I'm going to read up on it.

Okay... the reason I got the heater was because Glow started getting very very sluggish and I thought something was wrong, I came online to read up on what was going on and I read that if the water is too cold they don't to well. I went to Petco the next day and bought a thermometer and a heater. Came home, checked the temp and it was 68.. I felt SO SO bad because I knew that was wayyyy too cold for him. I took him our of the tank, did a water change, set up the heater, waited about 15 minutes till I finished cleaning Pearlys tank and put Glow in. I decided to add the water a little warmer this time so when the heater had a little help. The temp on Glows tank read 72, so I thought okay cool in a few hours it'll be at 74 maybe. I woke up the next morning and the temp dropped back down to 68 on both tanks. Sooo... I went back to Petco yesterday and exchanged both heaters for something they told me was "better" and the temp has gone up a few degreen but I wanted it to atleast get up to 76-78, that's the normal right?

Please don't judge me for having the water so cold.. I didn't know anything about keeping the tanks at certain temps. I feel terrible about letting them live in such cold water. I'm trying my best to fix this problem asap.

Thanks for reading this.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

Don't worry, they are relatively strong, and you fixed the heater situation. I'd Recommend getting submersible thermometers, they're like $2 each and they help accurately gauge the temp in the tank . Your fish are gorgeous and I'm sure they're going to be fine!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #9 
LoveMyBettas8885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
Don't worry, they are relatively strong, and you fixed the heater situation. I'd Recommend getting submersible thermometers, they're like $2 each and they help accurately gauge the temp in the tank . Your fish are gorgeous and I'm sure they're going to be fine!
Thank you! I got the heaters fixed and now i have the temp at 78, I feel a lot more relaxed :D But.... when I went to petco today I ventured off to check out the Bettas and ended up with yet another one... Lol. I'm bad! But... Hes so cool looking I couldn't resist! He's black but in the light he's got a little bit of light blue coloring on him. He's a delta tail. He's extremely cool! I'm thinking of a name for him though. I'll try to get good pictures of him tomorrow :)
Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #10 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Beautiful Bettas! My wal-mart doesn't sell fish anymore. . .
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote