Housing
Q:What size is your tank?
A: 2.5 gal

Q:What temperature is your tank?
A: 78-80*F

Q:Does your tank have a filter?
A:
Yes

Q:Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
A:
Yes

Q:Is your tank heated?
A:
Yes

Q:What tank mates does your Betta fish live with?
A:
None

Food
Q:What type of food do you feed your Betta fish?
A:
A diet if mainly Betta pellets, with live brine shrimp and crushed tropical flakes on occasion.

Q:How often do you feed your Betta fish?
A:
1-2 times a day, with a 24hr fasting period once a week.

Maintenance

Q: How often do you perform a water change?
A:
2 times a week. For the 2.5 it would be 2.3 times a week though.

Q:What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
A:
50% usually and 100% every two weeks.

Q:What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
A:
Aqua Safe and Jungle Start zyme.

Water Parameters:
Q:Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
A:
No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
Q:How has your Betta fish's appearance changed?
A:
Two to three days ago I moved him from my divided 10 gallon to his 2.5 gallon. I noticed when I moved him that the back of his anal fin was missing a small chunk out of it and it looked like he scratched the crap out of his left side. When I introduced him to the 2.5 gallon I noticed that he was rarely using his left pectoral fin, even though I couldn't see any damage to it.
While taking down the 10 gallon I found the remnants of his anal fin under a large rock he used to hide behind. I'm thinking he got stuck and scratched the crap out of himself and ripped his anal fin getting out.

Today I noticed that it's all white were he got all scratched up on his left side. He also has two tiny white cottony patches under his mouth. It doesn't seem to be spreading. Half of his anal fin is almost gone now and the fin rot seems to be starting on the bottom of his caudal fin. His left pectoral fin seems to be reduced to almost a nub. It's weird because his pectoral fin seemed fine last night. O_o

Q:How has your Betta fish's behavior changed?
A:
He is normally very shy. At first he ran and hid in his tiny vase/cave when I introduced him to his tank. He's been kinda hanging out on the bottom, but this also may be due to just being re-homed in a new environment. He has stopped using his left pectoral fin since he was re-homed, even before it looked like he had any fin rot to it. Other than that he acts normal.

Q:When did you start noticing the symptoms?
A:
2-3 days ago and new symptoms today as I've been keeping an eye on him.

Q:Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
A:
Yes. When I first noticed symptoms a few days ago he had a 100% water change with a new aquarium and I added a tiny bit Aquarium salt to his tank as a preventative. At that time I though it may just be due to having gotten stuck behind a rock.

Today when I noticed new symptoms that made me sure he at least has fin rot and possibly a fungal infection, I took him out of his tank. I placed him in a 1 gallon jar with fresh treated water and added 1 teaspoon of Aquarium salt. He seems a lot more active now and interested in his surroundings.

Q:Does your fish have any history of being ill?
A:
Not really. He had one cause of fin rot in the past when a filter stopped working.

Q:How old is your fish (approximately)?
A:
I would say maybe a year and a half old.

Notes:
Even though it seems that his fin rot is becoming more advanced, I can't get him meds until this Thursday when I get my check as I just ran out last week. Long story short; I ran out of my meds because I was trying to make sure a different Betta of mine didn't have an infection, which he actually has swim bladder disorder and sinks. My question is if it still seems to advance more quickly would it be safe to up the salt to 2 teaspoons per gallon? Also, when looking for meds, is there a medication I can use that will treat both fungal infections and fin rot safely with a Plakat Betta? Also, is there anything else that I may be able to do for him aside from adding salt until I'm able to get medication if the salt doesn't seem to effect his condition?

When he was in the divided 10 gallon, it was also heated, filtered and had a type of aeration. The 2-times a week water change was for the ten gallon. 1-2 50% water changes once a week. A 100% one once a month as needed.

Last edited by Hisaki Yuki001; 11-15-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #2 
Hisaki Yuki001

Bump?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #3 
Hisaki Yuki001

Update: I got him meds on that Friday. They were out of Maracyn so the lady there gave me a bit of Nitrifuranzone from their private supply and instructed me on how to dose him for his 1 gallon quarantine tank.

The first two days on the meds and AQ salt he seemed to be doing better and then his bottom started to disintegrate again slowly. The disintegration seems to have stopped on his pectoral and back fin, but is slowly still getting worse on his bottom fin. His side seems to have not changed at all. It cleared a bit at first and then went back to looking like it did and he now has a slight red open sore on his side as well. It's almost seems like some kind of flesh eating desease so I'm treating it like Columnaris.

The lady said the meds she gave me were more potent than the Maracyn I was looking for. I just don't understand why it's not getting better.

These are some pictures of him below. If you have any ideas on what I can try to do to save him, please post.

Rojo at first: This was when he was just getting over some slight finrot or scratches to his bottom fin a week or so before this happened. Sorry for the picture quality.

This is him now, a week of meds later. He's been showing his stess stripes the last two days. I wish I could get a better pic. The water's green from the meds.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #4 
inkrealm

I'm really sorry to hear this... :( it looks like he has some blue on him though? I saw you already read the Mystery Disease.... I'm not sure if they have to be all blue or just have some on them.... but I wouldn't rule it out... all the same yes, I would up the FW AQ Salt to two teaspoons.... also you might try using some of API's Stress Coat+ Conditioner.... just use it in addition to your regular conditioner... I'd also suggest Prime if you don't use it... I know for a fact it works and it lasts FOREVER, you get your money out of it for sure...
if it is fin rot, that might help some... my boy got a really bad case of it and the two teaspoons + Stress Coat seems to have fixed him right up... I hope your little guy will be okay....
here's also two links on Oldfishlay's tannin method,
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=86442
& http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=86672
it should be a big help too.... and has fungus-fighting properties.... best wishes for your buddy D: <3

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-26-2011 at 02:37 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #5 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrealm View Post
I'm really sorry to hear this... :( it looks like he has some blue on him though? I saw you already read the Mystery Disease.... I'm not sure if they have to be all blue or just have some on them.... but I wouldn't rule it out... all the same yes, I would up the FW AQ Salt to two teaspoons.... also you might try using some of API's Stress Coat+ Conditioner.... just use it in addition to your regular conditioner... I'd also suggest Prime if you don't use it... I know for a fact it works and it lasts FOREVER, you get your money out of it for sure...
if it is fin rot, that might help some... my boy got a really bad case of it and the two teaspoons + Stress Coat seems to have fixed him right up... I hope your little guy will be okay....
here's also two links on Oldfishlay's tannin method,
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=86442
& http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=86672
it should be a big help too.... and has fungus-fighting properties.... best wishes for your buddy D: <3
Thank-you so much for the tips. I think I will try the Stress coat thing next time I can get some from the store. Unfortunately, I don't have any tannis leaves. I didn't know of its anti-Bacterial/fungus fighting properties and I thought about getting some in the past. I don't think any of the pet stores around here sell it, but I'll definitely get some in the future. I'll ask the lady at Pruess's pets again if they carry it though. That would be my best bet. I know I could get it online, but the shipping may take too long for him.

I upped his salt treatments this morning to 2 1/2 teaspoons for each gallon. The half teaspoon was and accident, but I diceded to still go with it, as well as I doubled the medication mixture. I don't want to over-medicate him, but I'm not sure which is helping much, or if its both together. Tonight he seems to have perked up a bit and did eat two pellets as he refused to eat last night.

And yes, he does have some blue on him. I'm not sure as well if this is the same disease either. I'm thinking though that if that disease is a bacterial disease or virus, it could potentially effect other colored Bettas in different ways. I was looking at pictures online of nocrotic fins in freshwater fish and came across a furum about Columnaris with a picture of a goldfish that looked like the bettas in that furum. If it is a type of Columnaris, it would make since for the rapid deaths of the little guys. I know theres two different types of this disease, but even so, it's racking my brain at how fast this happened and why it's so hard to treat/ still trying to get worse.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #6 
inkrealm

I hope it can help a little... you have no Oak trees where you live?

hopefully they will have some... the stress coat may help a tad though... <3

the 1/2 extra should be fine :3 just don't go over the max three ^-^ I'm glad he seems to have perked up a little... all hopes at least :3 <3

yeah,, I don't know much about how the diseases function, but I suppose it is possible that it could show in different ways... I was wondering if it might be something genetic an irresponsible petstore betta breeder has triggered while not bothering to check genetics....

whatever it is the fact that it can't seem to be cured by anything seems pretty terrifying... and this sounds kindof scary too :( I've heard of highly aggressive fin to cases, but I dunno.... you'd think something would put at least a minor dent in it... is it turning black like the ones in that forum, or just eating away super fast?.....
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #7 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:
I hope it can help a little... you have no Oak trees where you live?

hopefully they will have some... the stress coat may help a tad though... <3

the 1/2 extra should be fine :3 just don't go over the max three ^-^ I'm glad he seems to have perked up a little... all hopes at least :3 <3

yeah,, I don't know much about how the diseases function, but I suppose it is possible that it could show in different ways... I was wondering if it might be something genetic an irresponsible petstore betta breeder has triggered while not bothering to check genetics....

whatever it is the fact that it can't seem to be cured by anything seems pretty terrifying... and this sounds kindof scary too :( I've heard of highly aggressive fin to cases, but I dunno.... you'd think something would put at least a minor dent in it... is it turning black like the ones in that forum, or just eating away super fast?.....
His bottom fin originally turned a complete dark bloody red and then grayish/reddish/black color. At that point I took him out and started him on 1 teaspoon of salt in a gallon container. The next day it just started to disintegrate rapidly. His left pectoral fin which has no pigment never changed color, but just completely disintegrated. His right one is now effected, but it's moving slower and is only half-way gone but it's red with black at the edges. One of his long slender fins in the front just turned grey/black and then dropped off.

I just looked with a flash light at the fin on the top that you noticed had blue. O_o The blue is gone.....it is grey. :( The red on there seems unaffected aside from his fins being slightly clamped? The edges of what are left of his bottom fins are grey and there's only a bit of the fin-bones sticking out from the rest of it. All the blue he had on him is gone now and it does look grey were the color had once been aside from his eye. His eye is half blue and half red. :(

Last edited by Hisaki Yuki001; 11-26-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #8 
inkrealm

ahh... I'm so sorry... :( I mentioned on the board a medication called Neomycin you might look into... but I dunno if it'd be any help or if you could even get it... I can't imagine having to deal with that,, I'm so sorry.... :( strange that the red part seems not too bad though you say?... what on earth if only the blue parts got it? 0.o I'm so sorry this is happening to you... I wish we could help... this is awful... I just can't even imagine.... :/ <3
Old 11-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #9 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:
ahh... I'm so sorry... :( I mentioned on the board a medication called Neomycin you might look into... but I dunno if it'd be any help or if you could even get it... I can't imagine having to deal with that,, I'm so sorry.... :( strange that the red part seems not too bad though you say?... what on earth if only the blue parts got it? 0.o I'm so sorry this is happening to you... I wish we could help... this is awful... I just can't even imagine.... :/ <3
It's okay. Thank-you so much though. I'm just going to wait and hope for the best. I think if it is the same disease I should be grateful that he lasted more than a day, let alone this past week. If he still keeps on progressing like this, I think I'll take him to preuss's with me and ask about Neomycin. The lady at Pruess's did tell me to bring him in if he continued to get worse because the medication he's on is a strong medication and should wipe it out. I just haven't wanted to stress him by taking him there. I don't know if they do testing though to see what it is.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #10 
inkrealm

yeah.. well at least you know it's not your fault and that you did everything you could.... if we ever do figure out that this disease is genetic I'm going to be furious... there's no excuse for something like this... if it does come down to that I would love to hear their take on it... I hope we can get to the bottom of this... best wishes for the little guy... he sounds like a fighter...^-^;