Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #111 
Kytkattin

How about 2 categories then. One for 1-3 gallons, and another for 4 and up. It would address the need for members to see that smaller tanks can work, but they take more work. My 2 gallon probably looks better than my 5.5 gallon tank with all the plants it has.

Or maybe each month can have a theme, or every other month being planted or not planted. Idk, I know what you mean, and now I am seeing how a tank being planted or not can make the difference. IMO, planted tanks are at a whole different level from non-planted. On the other hand, a contest like this could help people take their tanks to the next level, which would be great to see. Maybe I am biased because I want to do animal exhibit design as a career...
Old 12-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #112 
Laki

That's a nice idea :) Yes, there are a couple of categories which could be open.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #113 
cajunamy
Banned

To all mods - it's not that you aren't appreciated. I know darn well you guys are understaffed and unpaid. You have lives outside of this forum.

But that's exactly the reason there needs to be more mods.

For me the health of bettas are not really first and foremost around here. It's all about tip-toeing around people's feelings. A domain reading bettafish.com should not be that way. It will be the first site someone looking to research with come across.

And re: Miah's post on it being up to the owner. Yes it is ultimately, I mean, not to be offensive, but DUH! :p The point being that misinformation given out by someone who doesn't know squat about whatever the topic is, but just googles it, isn't exactly helpful at all. As you said it's up to the owner to research. So if you don't have anything you know to be 100% true, stay out of it. It's just common sense.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #114 
bettalover2033

Just to say, I think the new topics added to the forum is great to help many new and former members that have been here a while will enjoy them as I will.

Anyway, I would like to say that one of the biggest problems on this forum is that many new members are giving incorrect information and are being very rude to others.

The incorrect information IMO, has gone too far. I've noticed that when someone has asked a question and the next person comes and says something not completely true or just irrelevant, some how there has been situations where some members will completely go against the person who has given the correct information because they feel that they are being "bashed."

In addition, IMO new members should really take things into consideration when a member that is well known and/or has good info. on the subject they need to learn about that was addressed in a kind and understanding way, the new members need to learn to take the advice and try not to get so high tempered with the advice/criticism given.

Though there has been various amounts of how this was taken care of. As 1fish2fish said, some *Members* do take their opinions and have been forcing it on others. In which this will only result in a new member never returning to the forum, being just as disrespectful and exchanging rude comments. Also IME, I've noticed discouragement when this has taken place. Especially in the *Betta Breeding* section, as many are always told they aren't prepared and should not breed.

I'm sure that the "rude" members DO mean well, but in the eyes of the new members, they just think that it is overwhelming or just go through with the wrong way to breed because they just wanted advice on how to determine a if a female is ready to breed.

If this is dealt with in a more civil way, there will be more positive feedback from the OP and the bettas will not have to suffer from the OP's and other members mistakes.

I just am concluding that it isn't only the new members fault. Those are some of the general pointers that should be worked on.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #115 
BettaMiah

Just wanted to say- i'm extatic over the new forums! Their awesome! <3 Thanks for listening! Thats a 1st. Most websites I play on are deserted by the owners!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #116 
Sakura8

I'm laughing and rolling my eyes at the same time because I had no idea my example with the cute cat pic would become an example for everything.

Okay, so it sounds like the problem people are having with these "off-topic" threads that aren't completely off-topic but are just a little diverted momentarily is that it is adding extra material for people to sift through if they are searching for a thread on a particular subject. Is this more or less the problem? I see and I understand. BUT I also want to say that it is easy to get caught up in the natural flow of conversation, hence the little topic sidetrips. It's just . . . natural to automatically comment on something in the spur of the moment. Perhaps this is because I am not social media savvy and I don't spend large amounts of time texting or other electronic forms of communication, so I treat these forum conversations as real-time conversations. Sorry, I will work on this but please bear with me in the while. Oh, and I also wanted to point out that some threads, particularly those in the Betta Chat section etc. are titled in such a way that in theory, they could encompass more than one topic on the same general theme. What is the best way to know what on-topic is then for some of those threads?

However, I don't think rules about on-topicness need to be so stringently applied to threads in the lounge. It's the Lounge. Asking people to stringently monitor their chat is like asking for someone to wear a tux just to relax in their family room. What a mental pic that is.

Last edited by Sakura8; 12-09-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #117 
CrowntailTwitchy57

Wow! I logged on today and saw, like, 3 new categories! I was like: "Wha-?"
Old 12-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #118 
Sakura8

Few more thoughts.

To help control the spread of misinformation. How about having new members be required to read a sticky with the information condoned by the forum before they are allowed to make their first reply to a thread not their own? Kind of like the User Agreement for computer software. True, there's no guarantee they actually read the info (like I read actually read the info for the User Agreeements *yes, sarcasm here*) but at least it holds the person liable if they suggest the wrong info.

Unfortunately, that brings up a new problem and I'm sorry if it's been hashed over previously. But who decides the appropriate information, the "official" information of the forum? My suggestions are these: the information is culled from several official books written on the subject, such as the betta book by David Boruchowitz. Citations will be needed, of course. OR, the information is decided by DarkMoon17. Why DarkMoon? Because she's a veterinary student. Her credentials as both veterinary student and breeder speak for themselves.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #119 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Unfortunately, that brings up a new problem and I'm sorry if it's been hashed over previously. But who decides the appropriate information, the "official" information of the forum? My suggestions are these: the information is culled from several official books written on the subject, such as the betta book by David Boruchowitz. Citations will be needed, of course. OR, the information is decided by DarkMoon17. Why DarkMoon? Because she's a veterinary student. Her credentials as both veterinary student and breeder speak for themselves.
On another forum I was on, you had to post a link every time you posted information about treating said animal. You couldn't just say "Treat with 3tsp of Epsom salts" and that be that. You had to actually provide a link at the end of your post supporting your recommendation. Not saying it should be done here, but I totally see what you're saying.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #120 
bettalover2033

One more thing. I think this was asked before as well, but I was thinking that if you were to let us all be able to edit our posts at anytime after the (original) time given to fix mistakes, ect.
Closed Thread