Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #121 
vaygirl

Regarding off topic: Yes, exactly Sakura. These are specific topics of conversation posted for answers regarding that topic. If all of us would just take a second and think, am I contributing to the OP's topic or question? And if someone isn't, we can ask them to start a new thread in a recommended section.

I've been just as guilty of it and probably never gave it a second thought before I became a mod. And honestly we are not that stringent about this. You guys have gone off topic and it's been left largely alone. Mostly we address what is reported on. But, it would help us if the users did a little self policing.

I'm thinking this is a good step in that direction.

Edit, the Face behind the Name thread is a great example of some off topic-ness that has been left untouched. But if you've ever tried to sift through that thread to see just pictures of people? It would take all day. :P

Last edited by vaygirl; 12-09-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #122 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
One more thing. I think this was asked before as well, but I was thinking that if you were to let us all be able to edit our posts at anytime after the (original) time given to fix mistakes, ect.
Or even being able to edit the first post in a topic, so the creator can update lists or add information to the first post that is important. This way someone doesn't have to skim through everything to get all the information.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #123 
Rosso1011

Bettalover, Pitluvs, I third that motion. I feel bad at times when I have to go in and post again instead of being able to edit an earlier post. It could make things easier to clear up if an error, miscommunication, or even an addition has been made.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #124 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Or even being able to edit the first post in a topic, so the creator can update lists or add information to the first post that is important. This way someone doesn't have to skim through everything to get all the information.
That and maybe even having the *Solution* to the issue be in a very broad way that really points out how the problem was solved, Again so the new members or other fellow members can actually see the answer without going through the entire thread, which could be around 5-20+ pages at times. Though with the confirmation and help of a SM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #125 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Regarding off topic: Yes, exactly Sakura. These are specific topics of conversation posted for answers regarding that topic. If all of us would just take a second and think, am I contributing to the OP's topic or question? And if someone isn't, we can ask them to start a new thread in a recommended section.

I've been just as guilty of it and probably never gave it a second thought before I became a mod. And honestly we are not that stringent about this. You guys have gone off topic and it's been left largely alone. Mostly we address what is reported on. But, it would help us if the users did a little self policing.

I'm thinking this is a good step in that direction.

Edit, the Face behind the Name thread is a great example of some off topic-ness that has been left untouched. But if you've ever tried to sift through that thread to see just pictures of people? It would take all day. :P
Speaking of reporting, I have heard from some people that the report button can be hard for them to find. That, and the "New Thread" button. It hasn't happened in a while, but we used to get a lot of new people on the Self-Control thread ask us how to start new threads because they couldn't find the button. I guess they came to the Self-Control thread out of desperation.

And I thought I had replied to your post earlier but I guess I didn't. So here is what I intended to say: Vaygirl, I guess all the extra stuff makes it that much harder for the mods to read through every thread. When I think about it this way (making your job easier), it makes it easier to stay on topic. And then I sent you a VM thinking I had posted this already, so if the VM didn't make sense before, hopefully it does now. >.>
Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #126 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe the report button needs to be in a more prominent place.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #127 
Sakura8

Or maybe even say "Report" instead of just the little exclamation mark. I think some people, especially maybe those for whom English isn't the first language, don't realize what the exclamation mark means.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #128 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's true. If you move your cursor over it it says report post.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #129 
vaygirl

I never realized the report button was hard to find but I've only reported things a couple times in my entire time here and I had previous experiences. That's a very good point.

Sorry Sakura! Your VM just appeared. Or I just looked. One or the other. :P Thanks!!!

About the edit thing, I'd love if you guys could edit your posts whenever. I've been driven bonkers by that when I was not a mod. Now I'm spoiled because I can do it whenever and I realize how limiting it was not to be able to edit.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #130 
Laki

So this evening I was playing tetris with my boyfriend and I got to level.....

Just kidding!! :D
Closed Thread