betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can post pics on your profile page.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #12 
purplemuffin

True I guess, but that's not the only way I imagine it being used. But that's alright, I do have a blog I use on my other forums I suppose
Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've never done a blog before. what exactly do you use it for?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #14 
diablo13

Blogs are usually for things you're interested in, so there might be blogs about MMORPGs, or fish( check out Pitluvs signature, i believe she has a link to hers in it). I second the choosing wallpapers for the website, that would be awesome.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #15 
NflLover101

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
I'd like to have the ability to have a 'blog' or 'journal' that can be edited any time we please. Maybe it's a privilege that's earned after a few hundred posts or maybe you have to request permission so they aren't abused(though I don't see how they would be)

I can see a lot of possible uses:
-Regular off topic or on topic journal entries. Something longer than a post on the forum when something big is going on
-an organized list of projects that can be edited. Tank builds, planned purchases, check lists
-A list with links to all your major threads you've participated in (links to spawn logs and where babies are being sold)
-"all my bettas/pets" page with photos and info on each one. Since these could be later edited it's easy to add new friends, or move ones who have passed on to a journal about betta memories. Of course they would still post them in the memorial section, but it's a way to see all the bettas someone has, had, or is about to have(spawn logs and all)
-A longer "about me" page, or even an ongoing place to talk about non betta art.
-Anything that just doesn't fit in it's own thread. Maybe it doesn't contribute anything, or it's not something people can really reply to and make a thread with, but it's something you need off your chest. Things either too big that you don't want getting lost in the forum, or too little to really be important to post anywhere else. Maybe you just have a journal that you like dragon ball z or something and the fanart you have done.

People can comment on journals, or someone could make a journal locked so no one can post if they wish. Maybe an option to make it so only people on their friends list can see it. I would like it if journals are invisible unless you join the site. I love that people can google search and find this forum(people can search for problems, and this site can come up and therefore they can fix their problems) but a journal would be more private!
OMG ! That would be AMAZING !!!!!!!!!
Please do this !!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #16 
Kytkattin

A fish section other than the lounge or compatibility section. I know we are part of a bigger forum, but we also have become our own community. When I come to the lounge I don't want to still be talking about fish, even though I love them.

So basically a place for people to talk about their goldfish, cichlids, etc.

I am not sure how to address the problem of members giving misinformation. It is very frustrating. So maybe more mods would help. Also, if there was some way to put the sticky that we have everyone fill out automatically show up as text when someone goes to post in the "Fish Diseases" section, that might help us help them faster.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #17 
Banicks

#1: Member titles that mean something. Instead of having a post count for Junior member, Senior member, Silver, Gold or whatever they are - change it so there is a clear line between those who know what they are posting about and have experience about, and those that do not.

#2: Removal of displayed post count.

I'm currently a Senior member with a thousand posts or so, and am nothing but a novice who has chatted a lot and read stickies. I've noticed people with Senior member status will post incorrect information or misleading information, and have new members take the advice basing their belief that they are experienced by number of posts and title.

There are members on here who rarely say anything but have decades of knowledge.

#3: More active moderators. This doesn't mean we need more, but we need more input and activity from moderators. I'm not sure if the moderators we have are moderators because of their technical knowledge with forums - or experience with Bettas. It may not even be necessary for the title moderator to be implemented, it could be a sub-moderator title, eg. "Betta Expert".

Perhaps it would be an idea to define the two if that is the case. For example, Forum Moderator and Betta Moderator. When Betta moderators advise on a topic, it can be widely accepted that their word is experienced.

Of course to ensure this succeeds the Betta mods will need to be experienced and active, and this can only be monitored by moderators and correct information and experience, not post counts. But what it definitely needs to not be, is a popularity contest.

#4: Sticky improvements

I think we need to make the stickies bigger and bolder. Perhaps more word publishing? Something easier to the eye.

One idea I had was to create a .pdf document with the A to Z of Bettas. Incorporating the majority of stickies already available on our site, but at one easy access point for members.

This could incorporate P3's beginner article, right through to diseases - with pictures where possible.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #18 
Rosso1011

I agree with the longer about me section. I could also see adding a gender box with an option as to whether or not to display gender being useful since I realized that some people don't realize that Rosso = Betta.

Chat would be amazing. Status updates would be cool. Blogs would be amazing, too.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #19 
RichardA

Add a section for wild type bettas
Old 12-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

A lot of great input and ideas...

I really like the idea of a new "Welcome or introduction" section for new members and the thank you button....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-07-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Closed Thread