Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #21 
diablo13

Oooh, wild type betta section would be cool. But I think that would fall under the "Other Fish" idea, because while they are of the Betta Family, most memers here only know the care of Betta Splendens and not all of the others.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #22 
Banicks

Never the less, we do have some members here with a lot of Wild Betta knowledge. A dedicated section may bring more popularity to the species for members.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #23 
BettaMiah

I would love it if we could have a Other Pets, a chat box (Like IM) and an Other fish forum.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #24 
LittleBettas

A chat box would be AWESOME!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #25 
bahamut285

#1. I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the chatbox option. As nice as it would be, it would nearly be impossible to moderate unless a strong filter is installed. Even with that in mind, it is still possible to get non-kid friendly FAST. (especially with experienced MMO players who know how to get around a filter).

#2. Not "status updates" as somebody suggested (this isn't facebook for god's sake) but maybe both an official member title as well as a custom one. For example I would love to put mine as "The Chemist" so people will remember to ask me chemistry questions instead of asking members to google things for you. A lot of forums have official and custom titles

#3. I agree wholeheartedly about what Banicks said about removing post count and/or having member titles that actually mean something.

#4. I enjoy the idea of having a thank you button. You could upvote/like/thank posts that are relevant to what you are saying instead of having to post 100 responses that are the exact same thing. It will cut down on posts to both read and moderate

#5. Stickies should be bolded and be placed in a separate frame (HTML speaking frame) and made very obvious to read. Possibly being very picky for FUTURE stickies to have appropriate, easy to read titles depending on the content.

#6. Moderators and sub-moderators. A lot of websites will have sub-moderators, in which they have more functions than regular members, but less power than true moderators or administrators. Basically like "elves" for Santa. Sub-moderators, like moderators must be well versed in the rules of the forum. I can't say on how much power to give them because I don't know what kind of things moderators are technically allowed to do.

#7. Bettafish.com-specific moderators. I know that our mods have to moderate over both TFK and BF, which can get to be a big problem really quickly. Many forums have designated moderators for sections of the website to keep tighter control since you would only be responsible for moderating a certain section.

#8. Live policing. I know some mods already do this, but I feel more need to be present I suppose. For example when a thread goes severely off topic, or a member turns a disease thread into a chat thread (or bumping for no reason) then I would prefer to see a mod step in and SAY SOMETHING. Not a private message, but just a clear message to say: "Please stay on topic" "Please don't bump unnecessarily". I know I mentioned this before and mods have told me that they don't want to single out a member because it is "embarrassing". Embarrassing? REALLY? Teachers call out members all the time in class, and you're going to be more worried about embarrassment? Then the internet is not for you.

#I don't remember. More consistency with appropriate punishment of members. I remember that I think I was banned for a few days when I first joined and started a thread because people thought I was a troll. Now however, I see certain members CONSISTENTLY causing problems and yet nothing is done about them, regardless of my efforts to police (report button). Being a little more strict on members would whip everybody into shape REAL FAST.

Right now the "discipline" policy appears to me as this:
- People who never swear but sometimes give bad info -- no ban
- People who let up the one curse but consistently give amazing info -- FLOOD THEIR INBOX WITH PMs TELLING THEM NEVER TO SWEAR AGAIN OR FACE THE WRATH OF THE BANHAMMER.

I personally find that this forum has a lot of "school yard" politics and policies. Granted yes, we have young teenagers in this forum, but I don't see why we have to accommodate to the lowest denominator. We should strive to ban people who give bad information, not people who OMGYOUSAIDABADWORD.

This forum is about EDUCATION and LEARNING. Not some sort of online daycare in which we slap the hands of evildoers then let hem go on about however they please.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #26 
nochoramet

I wholeheartedly agree with Banicks and Bahamut. Especially what Bahamut said about #9. I said "wtf" before and got reprimanded, now I see people cursing all the time and nothing seems to get done about it.

I also think more emphasizing "thriving, not surviving." It seems as if a lot of members are telling others than can get away with the minimum amount of care because the betta is still alive. I can understand experienced members doing this (especially breeders) but to newcomers and novices, quality care should be highly stressed so they don't make mistakes.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #27 
Sweeda88

I have to second what Banicks and Bahamut have said, as well. I'm getting tired of the fact that people can give so much wrong information and not get reprimanded. This wrong information can lead to the death of the fish, and even when these people are told their info is wrong, they still stick by it. It makes it hard to teach new members what is okay and what is not because they tend to listen to what is the EASIEST route, not necessarily the best because the best usually means more work and more money shelled out.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #28 
diablo13

I third what bahamut said. Bans should be mote focused on bad info, not cussing. I can undestand no really bad things, but the occasional "s" wod o "c" wod. I'm a young teenage, but I'd love it if we could slightly cuss. Again, no eallu bad stuff. Excuse my bad spelling, one of my lettes isn't woking.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #29 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo13 View Post
I third what bahamut said. Bans should be mote focused on bad info, not cussing. I can undestand no really bad things, but the occasional "s" wod o "c" wod. I'm a young teenage, but I'd love it if we could slightly cuss. Again, no eallu bad stuff. Excuse my bad spelling, one of my lettes isn't woking.
I do NOT condone swearing. I'm just saying that it's a little ridiculous how, whenever I report somebody for both giving bad info AND swearing, only the swearing gets moderated.

I'm not saying to lift or lighten up the swearing policy, but just to shift a focus. Please do not misinterpret what I wanted to say.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #30 
diablo13

I'm going to agree with changing the Focus of it, that would be nice. I never meant to eradicate the ule, just lighten up a bit. I can't see how the occasional "s"/"c" wod is going to mess someone up. But it's not my forum, so whatever the Admin decides.
Closed Thread