Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #31 
BettaMiah

I agree with Bahamut, but I disagree with whacking people with the BanHammer if they give some bad info and accidentally prescribe MelaFix. Lots of members on here try to be helpful, and that should be appreciated. If they give out crap info, they should be EDJUCATED. Not be slammed with a BanHammer and scolded for not knowing everything in the world. I honestly don't even think mods should PM someone over crap info. Unless they want to help and inform the said member, then leave them alone. You can't expect everyone to give out info all the time.

I mean, if someone gets into an arguement over what info is right and what isn't, they need to be talked to, and hopefully informed.

But seriosuly. Mis-diagnosing someone's Betta shouldn't get someone kicked off the site. Sure sure, its about learning, so TEACH those who think they are the teachers. That isn't breaking a rule. Its just not ethnical to ban someone who thought they were totally correct and helping, but were really mis-informing someone else.

NUFF SAID.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #32 
Rosso1011

+100 Miah. I strongly agree with what you have just said. I understand there is a lot of misinformation being spread out there, but I do not think I have seen anyone deliberately sticking to their guns on advice that is not good. Maybe I just haven't been around long enough.

Honestly, I don't see a lot of people who stay on topic. I think something that needs to be done is moderate how many threads are out there. When I look in certain sections, it seems like there are just way too many threads out there. Maybe parts of this forum need a little cleaning up. Just one person's opinion though. I could be entirely wrong in my views.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #33 
BettaMiah

Thanks! I just felt that "controlling the bad info" was a terrible idea.

Thats also a good idea. But NO ONE touches the 'I have No Self Control' thread.

Thats what the lounge is for. Chat threads.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #34 
Rosso1011

I wasn't talking about active threads at all. Just ones that are collecting dust on the forum. Why would I want I want to see active chat threads banned? I'm just saying, I think some tidying up needs to be done.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #35 
cajunamy
Banned

I think that this forum should be treated as it's own forum, and not an extension of TFK. It definitely needs more moderation involvement. I get a vibe that mods are almost scared to speak up in threads that get way off topic, or there are people being rude, etc. So that when one of the couple of mods I see most regularly are around, it's very sparsely.

I would love to see more support behind those that give out good VALID advice, and not so many people taking stock in just anyone's willy nilly advice. Not sure how that one could be accomplished though :p

Rules enforced better, but this ties in with the more modding issue - you can definitely be too strict with rules, but I think things are a bit too lax here, and it has sort of gotten overrun with childishness.

eta: I saw mention of a 'thanks' system. I do like it, so long as there is no 'dislike' system. I have seen that gone downhill, FAST.

eta2: re: Miah and Rosso: it's not about immediately punishing someone who gives misguided info, it's about those that continually stick with their very very bad advice after many people have said otherwise. Being misguided and continually giving out bad advice are 2 separate things. However, my stance on that subject is, if you don't know what the heck you're talking about (ie. never researched anything about the subject until 2 mins ago/ no experience whatsoever) then you stay out of it, or try to point someone in the direction of someone with knowledge. Wether it be a website, forum member, betta expert you offhandedly know, etc

Last edited by cajunamy; 12-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #36 
bahamut285

I never said that we should ban somebody with bad information. I mean that we should ban somebody who, after given an education and have been informed as to what the correct information is, STILL CONSISTENTLY gives bad information, THEN they should be banned.

For example, the following hypothetical conversation:
OP #1: Hey my fish has fin rot what do I do.
Offending Person #1: ES and Melafix should fix him right up
Person #2: No, ES and Melafix will do more harm than good, I recommend AQ Salt and clean water

OP#2: Hey my fish has swim bladder disease what do I do.
Offending Person #1: I use AQ salt and some peas for that
Person #10: No, ES is better, peas are not recommended but etcetcetc.

OP#3: Hey my fish has fin rot what do I do
Offending Person #1: ES AND PEAS
Person #3: Um... we normally use AQ salt and clean water

In this circumstance I would personally PM the person after numerous offences with wrong information.

It's not such a big deal to swallow your pride and realize that you don't know how to solve a problem. Don't go off and look up something random on Google and say your word is correct. I'm not telling people to be scolded because they don't know how to answer something. If you don't know, don't post. Not only do you waste the OP's time, but you provide conflicting information within the thread when people who DO know hat they're talking about post information.

There is NO SHAME in being wrong, but going around bragging that you're an expert at typing into Google does not make you an expert.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #37 
Oldfishlady

Too much control could run more member off IMO......we are not all chemist or science majors...this is a family friendly forum for all ages and levels in the hobby to share information and learn....

Too much censorship and that could make some members look for a different site that is a bit more friendly.......

Just because another members opinion and experience differs from yours doesn't meant it wrong.....
Old 12-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #38 
Rosso1011

Sorry for the misunderstanding bahamut. Your reply to the thread came off a little strong.

I do agree with what you just said though. People who don't know much about a topic should keep their noses out of it. I do not post about betta diseases, I realize that I don't know enough about them yet to give anyone info on that subject matter.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #39 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Too much control could run more member off IMO......we are not all chemist or science majors...this is a family friendly forum for all ages and levels in the hobby to share information and learn....

Too much censorship and that could make some members look for a different site that is a bit more friendly.......

Just because another members opinion and experience differs from yours doesn't meant it wrong.....
This is exactly my point. It is BECAUSE not everybody is a science/chemistry major that we should strive to provide proper education. I'm not saying we should rule with an iron fist but to be honest, since I joined this forum last year, there has been a rise in anarchy.

I would rather chase off members who don't know anything rather than lose valuable and contributing members like Mr. Vampire and PewPewPew (briefly) due to the reasons I pointed out.

Opinion is different from facts. It is not "your opinion" that ammonia will kill your fish. It is not "your opinion" that Epsom salt DOES NOT cure Fin rot.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #40 
BettaMiah

Okay, I guess I misunderstood you then.

I still think the member shouldn't get the banhammer for this at all, even if they do exactly as you said and have been edjuctaed. Again, it isn't really breaking a rule, it's just not ethnic. They should just be ignored. Maybe if no one listens to them, they'll think about their info and might actually learn.
Closed Thread