Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #41 
bahamut285

**By "members who don't know anything" I mean the people who refuse to learn.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #42 
Rosso1011

I'm in slight disagreement with you, Miah. I think there should be a warning system. You get several warnings, then there should be disciplinary action. The only problem there is that things tend to get really sticky when it comes down to sorting out bad info because everyone has differing viewpoints.

I understand how hard this makes things but I am a huge advocate of fairness.

I think OFL makes a good point about running people off. We should be looking to find members and educate.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #43 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wouldn't it help to give a misguided person a link to some good info about something, to help them learn?
People complaining that things don't get taken are of makes me feel like I'm not doing my job.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #44 
cajunamy
Banned

Ethic Miah ;) Ethnic is different cultures :)

I do not agree about being more strict will run people off. It will bring in those that TRULY want to learn and not just the ones that will spout off after being told facts in a polite manner. I belong to another fishkeeping site, it does not have a .com for their bettas like TFK does, but the betta section is active. Rules are enforced there and it does not run people off at all. The site and the betta section is very active and gains new membership daily.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #45 
BettaMiah

You can't force someone to learn. It isn't law.

You can not make someone learn and give out good info. If they think AQ salt is good for swim bladder, then they do, Everyone is entiltled to their own opinion, correct? You can NOT force people to give out the right info. You just can't. And you most definelty can not punish them for that.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #46 
dramaqueen
Banned

The thing is, that if you give out wrong info, knowingly or unknowingly you could be putting someone's fish in danger.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #47 
BettaMiah

And isn't it the owners job to go on and so some extra research and listen to other opinions? Surely it would be dumb to just listen to one person. That is the owners fault, then.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #48 
cajunamy
Banned

Yes DQ, helping people learn is what it's all about. It's the ones that refuse to listen and are downright rude about it that is the problem. And for me, it's not about you not doing your job, it's that you can not be everywhere at once, and if you and Vaygirl are the biggest presence around here but we don't see you often (b/c there are only 2 of you) then some (not all, but some of the more immature crowd) tend to not take forum mods seriously at all. And there should be repercussions for that.

Banning a person after many offenses is I think, what Bahamut is trying to say. Not 1 or 2 instances, not even 3 or 4. More like consistently giving out advice that is shown to not work or harm a fish, or whatever the subject is. And this is only after giving repeated warnings.

I like the warning system idea - and I think that it should be shown under a members name if it got bad enough. For example, a person swears - you get pm'd or reprimanded in the offending thread. Don't just make it disappear, ppl need to know that it is NOT allowed. Same person swears again. This time you get pm'd about it and a 10% warning indicator. Same person is rude to a member - pm'd or reprimanded. (and I'm not saying go all OMG CALM THE FUDGE DOWN OR YOU'LL BE BANNED in public, but more along the lines of hey __ this person has a different viewpoint than you, please try to respect that) Same person does it again and the warning is uped to 20%, etc etc.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #49 
TheCrysCat

+1 to Bahamut.

I understand everyone's going to be wrong sometimes, but I see a real issue with members getting offended when they are corrected. I know members who do their best to contribute and get snapped at because it's not what the OP/other posters WANT to hear. It's one thing if they're being downright rude, but there *is* a difference between being blunt and and insinuating that someone is an idiot.

Although, I am of the persuasion that it should be people with experience helping out other people, not a "nice" member googling it for someone else. Everyone can use google; not everyone has the knowledge that comes from first-hand experience.

I also agree with the older members getting scared off. I joined... what, nine months ago? and I've seen a lot more childishness now than when I joined. Maybe I'm an evil person for saying this, but I prefer the company of people like MrVampire and PewPewPew to a random kid who most likely will lose interest in a few months anyway.

And Miah, that's not a very good example of an opinion. AQ salt being good for SBD is about as accurate as saying that 2+2=5. An opinion would be something like whether or not a breeder puts tannins in their water :)

Last edited by TheCrysCat; 12-08-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #50 
dramaqueen
Banned

We do have a lot of silliness going on by some of the younger members and it does scare older members off. I wish I could be everywhere at once but it dosn't work that way. lol I believe we do have a policy that if someone has been told several times to comply with the rules and they don't then they can be banned. And no Miah, we don't ban someone for giving wrong info but if they do it time after time and do it knowingly then they can be banned.
Closed Thread