Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #11 
mardi

I only tried each brand for a few feedings.He would try biting the pellet three or four times, spit it out each time and then become disinterested. I think it was a combination of being sensitive to the hardness of the pellets and the pellets having a different base than the food he was used to. (I've been giving him flakes since I brought him home).I felt bad trying to force him to eat something he had that kind of reaction to.

I only just found out today that Krill is the base of the flakes he's been eating. (the flakes came in a package, which I stupidly threw away). I'm optimistic; NLS pellets have the same base as the flakes, look to be a good size and, hopefully, will be a lot easier for him to eat.

I'll post how he takes to them tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
How long did you try each brand? Other than pellets potentially being too big (not a problem with NLS!), most fish will take to just about anything in a week or so. Only one or two feedings isn't enough, especially because some fish don't understand it is food at first!

Last edited by mardi; 12-07-2011 at 06:10 PM.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #12 
mardi

Unhappy Update

So, I attempted to feed Bowie the NLS pellets this morning.

The first problem I had was the pellets not floating. Bowie couldn't even tell he was being fed, because they'd just fall to the bottom of his tank. Then, I was finally able to keep one on my finger; he put it in his mouth and spit it right now. -sigh-

How long do you think I should keep attempting this? I plan on trying again this evening, when I get home from work.

Also, I'm wondering how anyone else who uses these pellets, do to keep them from sinking.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #13 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardi View Post
So, I attempted to feed Bowie the NLS pellets this morning.

The first problem I had was the pellets not floating. Bowie couldn't even tell he was being fed, because they'd just fall to the bottom of his tank. Then, I was finally able to keep one on my finger; he put it in his mouth and spit it right now. -sigh-

How long do you think I should keep attempting this? I plan on trying again this evening, when I get home from work.

Also, I'm wondering how anyone else who uses these pellets, do to keep them from sinking.
Did you buy NLS Betta? or?

As long as the water current is calm, I never had a problem with NLS Betta pellet / NLS Small Fish pellet sinking. :/

Last edited by Roxy; 12-08-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #14 
mardi

Question

I do have the NLS Betta. And his water is extremely calm. I just recently put foam over the water outflow of his filter, which took care of that.

Also, do the NLS containers come with a barrier over the food when you buy it? you know, like one that is between the cap and food to keep it fresh? I didn't realize mine didn't have one until I went to open it this morning.

I feel pretty stupid for not checking that before leaving the store, but I wasn't sure if that was the way NLS packaged their food or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
Did you buy NLS Betta? or?

As long as the water current is calm, I never had a problem with NLS Betta pellet / NLS Small Fish pellet sinking. :/
Old 12-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #15 
mardi

Talking Progress has been made!! ^_^

Bowie ate 2 NLS Pellets when I fed him this evening!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #16 
Roxy

Quote:
I do have the NLS Betta. And his water is extremely calm. I just recently put foam over the water outflow of his filter, which took care of that.

Also, do the NLS containers come with a barrier over the food when you buy it? you know, like one that is between the cap and food to keep it fresh? I didn't realize mine didn't have one until I went to open it this morning.

I feel pretty stupid for not checking that before leaving the store, but I wasn't sure if that was the way NLS packaged their food or not.
Mine did come with a barrier. Wow, it means yours must have been a return or something.

Quote:
Bowie ate 2 NLS Pellets when I fed him this evening!!!
Yay congrats! Finally ^_^
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #17 
tpocicat

I'm so glad he ate! I hope your problem is over.
I've had similar problems, even when I fed my betta what his breeder fed him! I think maybe he was upset over being moved to a new home.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #18 
mardi

Thank you so much for your support! I do hope the problem is over as well. I'm quite optimistic since he ate two three pellet meals yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
I'm so glad he ate! I hope your problem is over.
I've had similar problems, even when I fed my betta what his breeder fed him! I think maybe he was upset over being moved to a new home.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #19 
mardi

I realized this morning that the seal was actually stuck to the top of the cap. I do remember it being extra hard to open the jar, so I'm pretty confident it was sealed before I opened it. I must have just un-sealed the seal while opening it.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm really excited, because these pellets seem to have a great variety of good ingredients to benefit his health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
Mine did come with a barrier. Wow, it means yours must have been a return or something.

Yay congrats! Finally ^_^
Old 12-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #20 
BasilBetta87

Having variety is great! I know my Artemis loves NLS and readily gobbles up those pellets at meal times. I also feed those same Nutrafin Max Betta flakes and he like that as well. Glad your little guy is enjoying the NLS pellets.
BasilBetta87 is offline   Reply With Quote