Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #1 
Super Sly

Need to know how to clean a tank.

Hi all I got this tank from my brother...Its a 55g and he was using it as a bait tank and all his bait died. I was wondering what the best way to clean this tank is. Ive boiled water and washed out the inside but i dont think that will be enough if it was some kind of infection that killed them.
Thanks in advance to everyone that helps.
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Vinegar and hot water, scrubbed down with a rag. All rocks and ornaments can also be rinsed or just tossed. Rinse very well, with warm then luke warm water, let tap water sit in it for a while too if you please.

Or, the bleach and water mix which I have zero experience with. good luck!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #3 
kfryman

I would say stay away from bleach just because if you miss a small trace of it it can be all bad. I would have water mixed with vinger or something like that sit for a while. Then empty it and refill it. Usually try and stay away from soap too.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Baking soda is also good. When made into a paste it can be excellent for cleaning off hard water stains. The key to cleaning fish tanks is to make sure you rinse very very well.

Also congrats on getting a 55 gal for free. I have one. They are a big step up from the normal betta setup but can be very rewarding to fill.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #5 
ManInBlack2010

i'm in the same situation, lol, i cleaned out my free 30g with bleech and hot water. after i cleaned it i rinsed it with hot water until i could no longer smell bleech and rinsed it for another 10 minutes just to be safe
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #6 
Super Sly

@ thekoimaiden
Yeah my brother just gave it to me. I cant wait to get it cycled and stocked. Atm I have 2 10g one is divided and the other is a mini community with 4 cories. Also i have a 5g which has a betta and an adf....when i got these two they were already in this tank and will be upgraded to one of the tens when the 55 is set up. I think its gonna be a pain to get it setup where i want it my room is so small and already brimming with furniture.

I'm hesitant about trying the bleach and water because knowing me I would screw something up. The baking soda sounds interesting but i think im going to go with the vinigear. Should the water be boiling or just hot? All the rocks and ornaments were tossed.
Edit: Also how much vinigear should I use?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

I've got my 55 in my room, too. Really commands attention. It's the largest thing in there aside from my bed.

I forgot to take into the account the amount of baking soda that would be needed to scrub down a 55. Even the amount of vinegar would be staggering. To clean with vinegar you want to make a mixture of 1/2 white vinegar (not the red stuff used in cooking) and 1/2 hot water. Whether you want to fill up your tank with that (really not recommended) or put the mixture in a bucket and use your hands to clean the sides is up to you.

Another hint: how long has it been since the tank held water? With something that large I would want to take it outside and make sure it holds water before I put it in my room. I will do that test on any tank that I have let sit idle for a time. Better to be safe than sorry!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #8 
Super Sly

Its only been about 3 months since its had water in it so I know it holds it...actually we rinsed it with boiling water about 3 weeks ago. Wow seems like itll be some work to clean this thing out. Do you know about any other methods besides the baking soda/vinegar/bleach.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I often use algae scrapers to scrub scum off the walls. Paper towels work great for wiping loose scum off. It took me about 4 hours to make sure my 10 gal was clean for my newest bettas. You might want to break up your task to a few days. Best of luck. Can't wait to see pictures!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #10 
Super Sly

Thanks for the kind wishes. It'll probably be a while before i have this particular tank up and running, but ill be happy to share when it is.