Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #11 
EvilVOG

about 2 pounds per 1 gallon is what they say, depending on configuration tall tanks need less. I just put down like a 1/2 inch layer. You'll still pay less buying a giant bag of filter or play sand vs. a tiny bag of aquarium sand. Plus the tiny bags require tons of rinsing to clear, whereas my play sand bottom was crystal clear on my first fill without rinsing at all.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #12 
MarcusTheGreat

sik sikk i think im just gonna stick to white rocks lol
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #13 
PixelatedPaint

Be careful with playsand though. Depending on how fine it is it may be moved about by filtration. I have used playsand and pool filter sand and by far prefer the pool filter sand. Pool filter sand is simply silica sand #2. its a larger and less fine grain sand. It is completely inert so it wont affect your ph and so on. Make sure you rinse any sand heavily before use. Some bags are cleaner than others and I've had cases where one bag needed little rinsing while the other was packed with dust.

Pool filter sand usually comes in 20-40 kg bags...at least here. That will be more than enough for a 10gallon. I just bought another bag and filled a 20 gallon and I didnt even scratch the surface of my 40kg bag.

Last edited by PixelatedPaint; 12-09-2011 at 09:20 AM.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #14 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedPaint View Post
Be careful with playsand though. Depending on how fine it is it may be moved about by filtration. I have used playsand and pool filter sand and by far prefer the pool filter sand. Pool filter sand is simply silica sand #2. its a larger and less fine grain sand. It is completely inert so it wont affect your ph and so on. Make sure you rinse any sand heavily before use. Some bags are cleaner than others and I've had cases where one bag needed little rinsing while the other was packed with dust.

Pool filter sand usually comes in 20-40 kg bags...at least here. That will be more than enough for a 10gallon. I just bought another bag and filled a 20 gallon and I didnt even scratch the surface of my 40kg bag.
lol I bought mine as siica sand for a 100lb bag it was less then 6 bucks.. I have done a 12" x 30" aquarium 4 times (was actually 3 different tanks, but all the same footprint) & a smaller 6.6g twicw & I still have about 1/3rd of the bag left.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #15 
PixelatedPaint

I like to buy in bulk seeing its cheap. Very eye catching at that.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #16 
SnowySurface

I went with aquarium sand because I wanted the black color. Also, at 120-5 pounds (depending on the holiday ^_^;) and living in an apartment, 20lb, 40lb, and 100lb bags are a bit much to handle and store. I know I can lift 20-40lbs if I didn't care about color, but then the left over sand would take over one of my closets. Since 100lbs is roughly 80% of my weight, that wouldn't be an option no matter how much money I had to save. ^_^;

So far, I have no regrets about paying a little extra for the aquarium sand given my level of strength, small size/number of tanks, and pickiness over color. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #17 
PixelatedPaint

I love black as well but no one stocks it here. Pool filter sand is a great option when other things are not available. I just love the river bed look. Plus ordering sand would kill on shipping...might as well order eco complete.xD

I'm about the same size as you but i was raised on a farm. I carry logs twice my size. Thank god i dont look like a man.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #18 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedPaint View Post
I love black as well but no one stocks it here. Pool filter sand is a great option when other things are not available. I just love the river bed look. Plus ordering sand would kill on shipping...might as well order eco complete.xD

I'm about the same size as you but i was raised on a farm. I carry logs twice my size. Thank god i dont look like a man.
Cool. Since I live in the suburbs I've never carried a log in my life. So I don't have much in the way of muscle strenght. It took me a while but I found a store that did stock some black sand so I didn't have to worry about shipping. I don't want to know how much it cost to send about 2lbs through the mail. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #19 
PixelatedPaint

I would order in bulk so it would cost an arm and a leg on weight overages. I live in eastern Canada and the selection is non existant. We only have two small Pets unlimited and I dare say their fish section is deplorable. Fish wise there is a local aquarist who supplies for the area. (He has a small private shop). I had to have a construction company order the pool filter sand for me. (No pool stores here...apparently its too cold or something?not enough demand. I don't get that)

Luckily for me the store usually carries it so they ordered it free for me. YAY.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #20 
kfryman

I think I will check my homedepot for pool filter sand, wait do they have it? I would love to do a sand tank but the bblack sand I got from petco floats -_- so I had to buy these white rocks that sucked, so much dust. I think if I don't get pool filter sand I will have to go get the river rock stuff.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote