Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #1 
irbyma7297

Can my betta be kept with a plecostimos?

I spelled that wrong.
Okay,
It's room temp.
I think it may have a filter, it looks like an undergravel filter, it has that thing that goes under the gravel, which is connected to a tube, but the tube is not connected to anything else. Inside the tube is a smaller tube with an airstone attached, the smaller tube is attcahed to what i think is an airpump.
Actually, after writing it, I think it's just for decoration and the bubbles are inside the tube so it won't bother the fish, but it disturbs the water surface.
It's one gallon
I have fake plants in it.
I already put the plecostimus in with my fish,
I don;t think he's attacked it, even though i put the plecostimous in after prince. OOPS!
irbyma7297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

No, Plecos need HUGE tanks, he will outgrow that WAY to fast.... 1 gallon is barely big enough for 1 fish
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #3 
irbyma7297

uh oh...

okay, right now, my pleco is in a .75 gal with no filter with my betta 'cause our pipes froze and flooded my house, and the took our furniture last night while i was sleeping, and they moved my fish.

Someone pulled out the filter, and all my fake plants... I had forgotten to rinse out the gravel, so i put my betta and the pleco in a medium sized vase. If i take the pleco out, i won't have anywhere to put him... i wonder if anybody on this website would take him...
Awwwww.... but no one is gonna want to pay $10 for a pleco ( i would give him away for free) and i dont have any heater thingies. What should i do??!!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!?!?!!??!!?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

Hm... only thing I can think of is to take him to a petstore.... or see if any of your friends can take him.... I don't really have experiance with Plecos, I've aways stuck with smaller species of fish (other than oscars and cichlids) so I've always either had a snail or Siamese Algae Eaters in my 30 gallon... which is min. size for them....or mollies as they actually like to eat algae...lol....
You can see if anyone on the forum will take him, but it wont be likely since almost everyone has snow.... but maybe another member will come on and help out?
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

You could just return him to the pet/fish store that you purchased him from. If they provided you with inaccurate information as to the housing and care requirements of your, you may be able to convince them to take it back.

I would definitely look at finding a heater for your betta if it is cold enough for the pipes to have frozen. Most pet stores and fish stores sell them fairly cheaply so they shouldn't be that hard to find.

In a 1 gallon tank, I would remove both the gravel and filter as you will find the actual capacity of the tank will be much less because of water displacement caused by your substrate and decorations. While this wouldn't matter much in a larger aquarium, a 1 gallon tank doesn't offer much wriggle room.

My smaller tanks are all bare-bottom (don't have any gravel) with some PVC pipes/terracotta pots and java moss for my bettas to hide in. This set-up is much easier to clean and maximises the amount of water and swimming space available to my bettas.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #6 
irbyma7297

okay,
I dont know if they'll take it back...
I do have the reciept, but the bag i got him in is almost torn in half, but you can still see the item number.
They did not tell me anything about the size of the tank, excepth when i told them i wanted the smallest one there, they told me that you want to get the biggest one, and i told him that it was only a one gal. tank, and he said that the algae would just grow faster.
Is that helpful?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #7 
StarBetta

@Littlebettas- No! I have 2 plecos in my divided 10 gal. And they don't grow a bit! Some plecos don't grow ALOT. Depending on th type of pleco

EDIT: @irbyma7297- How big is your pleco?
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #8 
irbyma7297

i dont know... maybe about 3 to 4 inches
Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #9 
irbyma7297

well, at least half an inch more than prince.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #10 
Silverfang

common plecos can grow to well over a foot, I believe 16-18" is quite possible.
Even the smaller species of plecos (like bristlenose) will grow to at least 3-4".

I would definitely take the pleco back and tell them how you said you had a 1 gal and they wanted to give you a bigger one. Too many pet store employees don't know anything or next to nothing about fish.

There are other issues, but they aren't as important as returning the pleco. We of course would highly recommend a larger tank (2.5 gal is perfect!), and a heater and thermometer, they are happiest and healthiest at 78-80. Just a bit of food for thought should you ever decide to upgrade.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote