Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #1 
Enbarr

Innactive Betta?

I am new to this forum. Even though I have had betta fish before, it has been a while since I had one and I seem to have forgotten a few things...
First of all, I bought a male Delta tailed betta. After acclimating him to the water, I put him in. He explored and seemed to be active at first, but now he just sits at the bottom of the tank. He's in a ten gallon tank with a few other schooling neon tetras, none of which have bothered him either. I have a filter and a heater and I even put a little bit of Epsom Salt in there. I am hoping to buy an aerator soon as all of my stores do not have them in stock at the moment. It's only the second day that I've had him, so maybe I'm being too impatient? Could he just be acclimating to the water and getting used to it? Or could it be possible that there's something that I need to worry about? Sorry about these are probably really dumb questions....its just been a while since I've had betta fish and I can't recall if they ever did this....
Enbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Bettas don't need any sort of air stones. In a 10 gallon, there is plenty of room for him to get away, so it isn't a problem, but in smaller tanks they do tend to be a problem since it prevents them from being able to build bubble nests. But that is beside the point...

Are you certain that the neons are bothering him? They tend to be fin nippers, unfortunately.

How many neons do you have? How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled? Have you tested the water parameters? If so, what are the readings? What are you using to test? What is the temperature of the tank? Did you quarantine the betta before adding him to your tank?

Of course some fish do come from the store sick and a little off, but answering the above questions to the best of your ability will help some of the more knowledgeable members get to the bottom of your problem.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #3 
Myates

Is the filter baffled? Did you use water conditioner? What is the temp of the water? Even with a heater- the heater can malfunction, or not be warm enough/too warm, etc. When was the last water change prior to you getting him? Is there live plants? How long has the tank been set up? Are you siphoning regularly? Is your other betta in it's own tank?

It just seems as if it's a water chemistry/quality issue if he is acting that way now- that or stress.. is he constantly on the bottom other then to surface for air? (They don't need the aeration, and the filter is enough for the neons.) Or is he on and off the floor.. they do "sleep", and some will do so on the floor of the tank. Does the tank have a lot of plants? (silk or real) As well as a cave of sorts for him? He may feel over exposed if it's pretty bare.

Epsom isn't needed if he's not tilting and falling to his side, just staying on the bottom is more of stress/shock.. plus with Epsom you would want to QT the infected fish and do daily 100% water changes with it.. just like AQ salt, you don't want to just toss in things used for medical treatments without the proper dosages and water changes- why QTing is always ideal.
A lot of bettas don't do well with small, fast schooling fish- they move too fast and stress them out.

Any chance for you to get a picture up so we can see his body to rule out some illnesses?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #4 
Enbarr

That leads up to another question: how do you baffle a filter? I got one that works for 10 gallons (Whisper 2-10 gallon Power filter) and sometimes the bottom part of the filter (the part that sucks in the water) seems a bit too strong for him...how can I fix that?
Enbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #5 
Myates

Aquarium sponge wrapped around the intake section, held on by a clean rubber band would work :) Or can put an AQ sponge in the outflow section held in by a rubber band, or next to the other sponge inside the filter.

Those are the easiest to do for me.. otherwise you can do the bottle baffle which works too.

Also... lol... you can tie the tip of a panty hose over the intake section on the bottom to avoid risk of sucking in a fin, and use a aq sponge/bottle on top :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote