Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #21 
Sakura8

:D You're welcome. Hey, post pics when you get it all set up. I'd love to see.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #22 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
:D You're welcome. Hey, post pics when you get it all set up. I'd love to see.
will do i just posted a new thread i need help in check it out
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #23 
Dragonii

Do bettas really need to come up for air anyways? I mean, I know they do, or they will. But if the water is oxygenated enough is it necessary? I never see either of my bettas go up for air, food yes, but not for air.

Anyway, there is a third option. You could cut the top pain of glass off and make it a rimless tank. I've seen it done. Still makes a good looking tank.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #24 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii View Post
Do bettas really need to come up for air anyways? I mean, I know they do, or they will. But if the water is oxygenated enough is it necessary? I never see either of my bettas go up for air, food yes, but not for air.

Anyway, there is a third option. You could cut the top pain of glass off and make it a rimless tank. I've seen it done. Still makes a good looking tank.
yea i saw some people do that lol this question was a old one it was when i was first starting my tank i did buy the aquarium but i ended returning it and buying a normal 10g tank lol i saved money to so it was a plus lol
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #25 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii View Post
Just FYI, if the betta cannot physically go up to the surface and breathe, it will die. You could have fifty air stones in the tank and it would not work.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #26 
Sakura8

dragonii, bettafish is correct. A betta will literally drown if they can't surface for air. Same with other members of their family, the anabantid/anabantoid family, which includes gouramis and snakeheads. They all use a labyrinth organ to breathe air from the surface because they originate from waters that are low in oxygen (either shallow or very warm).

I kinda like the new Fluval 12 but I'd have to do as suggested and cut off the glass. I hate that thing, it makes working with the tank so hard.

Last edited by Sakura8; 01-27-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #27 
Dragonii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
dragonii, bettafish is correct. A betta will literally drown if they can't surface for air. Same with other members of their family, the anabantid/anabantoid family, which includes gouramis and wolf fish. They all use a labyrinth organ to breathe air from the surface because they originate from waters that are low in oxygen (either shallow or very warm).

I kinda like the new Fluval 12 but I'd have to do as suggested and cut off the glass. I hate that thing, it makes working with the tank so hard.
You would be surprised at how easy it actually is. Only issue is that you have to drain some water out before reaching into the tank.
Gallon Gatorade jug and a piece of hose takes care of that.
Other than that, use a magnet to clean the glass and it's all good.

I have had the 6 gallon for about 2 years and I bought the 12 as soon as it came out. I've never tried a betta in them but I have heard people say that it will work. They claim that the betta figures out where the opening is and has no problems getting to it. Don't know, like I said, never tried it. But I do know that my other fish all know where the opening is. As soon as they see the fish food bottle they all go to that opening in a second. Even the shrimp.

My 6 gallon, it currently has nothing in it. We are about to redo it as we moved everyone to the new 12 gallon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PooVzyRnK9c

The new 12 gallon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=929QzaGqxKI
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote