Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Post El Dorado... and the Sorority...

NOOOO!!! >/ well... YAY! but... NOOO!!!

El Dorado had turned down three of my females so far, doesn't even care about them.

So I did a test, watching carefully. he was in the breeder's box in the sorority and he showed off a little then decided the empty four small corners of the box were sooo interesting..

So I put him in, and what does he do? swims right by all the girls who are more interested in me than him. ("food food food foooood!!!?? =D" ) And he explores around the tank, weaving in and out of plants. I fed them, and they all came up together including El Dorado, and ate without a problem.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH HIM? D: lol He was supposed to be a breeder male, but he doesn't give a rat's butt about the females. He acts as if they were just any other fish in his new domain...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #2 
Luimeril

:T not a good idea. wait till he gets comfortable. he'll fight and/or kill your girls. just because things seem peaceful, doesn't mean it'll stay that way.

he may not be interested in your girls RIGHT NOW. how long do you condition them? how do you condition them? i've never heard of a male, turning down females like you say he does. just about every breeding log i've read, the male has spawned with the female. :U
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

conditioning:He's been conditioned since I got him. D: Because when I got him, his color and everything made me want to breed him...
Marge, Tina and Zebra all conditioned for... I'd say 4 weeks now... Rose isn't because I feel she is too small and she doesn't really get plump with eggs as often.
foods: Frozen and freeze dried bloodworms (more frozen than freeze dried), pellets, and meat from mealworm - basically what I did for Maine and Madame. Fed three times a day. He made a bubble nest for the first girl (Marge) but then destroyed it and was more entertained swimming around the tank. passed her. looked at her, swam off without showing off, flaring, nipping, darting D:
I swear to god he is a male so no gender confusion here.
tank: cycled with sponge filter. 7 inches water, 2 B grade almond leaves (4" each), floating live and fake plants, hiding spots, fake and live plants sitting on bottom. temperature: 78-80
lighting: UV and blue light
ready foods for fry: microworms
girls reaction: The girls even went vertical with the submission stripes when I put them (individually) in the breeding tank.
his reaction: show off rarely, then swim around, sit in hiding spot, sit on leaf, swim around, swim right against them x.x

Time together for Marge and him: 2 days. Same with other girlies. Been doing this before I moved and even after still. He just... won't D: weirdo!! >.> He shows such a small amount of interest!

does brightness of female's color matter? I've put the bright purple Marge, lighter purple Tina and nothing-color (brown?) Zebra, and he doesn't have a change in interest. I did take him out for the night back into his own tank. I have tried conditioning then introduce female, and even the shock method. Both same results... And I know I have never ever encountered a male who refused any females... he's worrying me lol. he isn't sick either.

I was going to order in 2 yellow VT females for him, but now I'm worried he won't bother with them either. Any tips? I mean that water is sooo dark from the IALs... water is super clean, bare bottom, everything. better then I had done with Maine... I do have the butterfly VT I'd like to breed, but first El Dorado if he will.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-08-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #4 
Luimeril

he could not be a breeder. just because he's soft with the girls in the breeding tank, though, doesn't mean he will be in a normal tank. Ichi's a sweet heart, has only flared once, and i got him after the Tsunami hit Japan(he's named after a friend of mine from Japan. :U). lived happily beside Theo until Theo passed. don't mean i'll put him in a tank with other bettas. other fish, maybe. maybe i'll set him up in the 10 with some Pygmy Cories or a small school of neons, or something. but other bettas? never. x: i can guarantee you'll wake up to either destroyed fins, or someone dead. even OFL has nit-picking in her tanks.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

lol well I didn't put him in there as a permanent thing :) Just seeing what the HECK is with him. and sure enough he has zero interest ;( There goes wanting to breed yellow D: all well. I was really excited about it...

Well on that note (grrr) my butterfly is another I'd like to try. Less spunk than El Dorado, but shows off a lot to me, and Spartan his divided tank buddy. He's made more nests than El Dorado has too... Soft brown body with light purple overlay and that purple moves brighter into his cellophone fins :) Hopefully I can get him to breed I have a huge microworm culture (which soon I'll be changing the culture to another container to avoid mold) and would like to use them The three girls are even fatter with eggs now too... not with overfeeding, just eggs
Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #6 
Luimeril

if you wanna breed yellow, find some local breeders, see if they dabble in yellow. that way, you know they'll breed true yellow. El Dorado could have thrown you something strange, like all red fry.

i know when i breed, i wanna breed Sniper. such a pretty boy, and such unusual colors('round here, anyways. veils are hardly interesting). :U he builds MASSIVE nests, too.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Well he came from the city, brought in as a "bored of this fish" boy to this store. I wouldn't mind the "what the hey" fry that's the fun of it. Plus I know I'd have to carry on the F1 for F2, to get the desired color/traits. But it would've been fun. Plus already knowing how many people wanted my rescue bettas vs a dying pet store betta, is a good sign for around here I don't blame them...

Lol I always love your betta's's's colorings :p

If anything I wouldn't mind breeding the butterfly gene.... apparently it's a dominant trait :) These two boys are the only ones I'd breed. Ghengis has shown zero diseases, and is very active now o_O lol. Just all my females don't have coloring (or very little).

It's 50$ shipping from one breeder to me, not including the cost of the fish. If I get more than one fish it's the same shipping. The females I was going to get were all yellow, and not pet stores types.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #8 
Luimeril

it's that much, even if you buy from a local breeder? o.0 man... you guys up in Canada-land don't have it easy. with Chard, it was $10 for shipping. cost of packaging and heating pack weren't included, then it was price of the fish($8 for Heavy and Spy, $6 for Sniper).

butterfly is connected to marble, from what i've heard. always interesting to play with Marble.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't be keeping a male in a sorority. They may LOOK like they're getting along but things can go wrong in a hurry. This is not the best way to find out if your fish will breed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Yeah the only "local" breeder, is Ontario. I am in Alberta D: so it is costly. Well thanks to Indjo private messaging me, I've gotten some tips on how to get him closer to breeding (i.e. isolating, and making him more aggressive through flaring and such) so HOPEFULLY this silly fish'll get his head in the right place

and he isn't in the sorority. I removed him back to the IAL breedin tank. there isn't even a bubble nest either strange fishy...