Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #1 
RillC

How to treat a split tail?

My perpetual motion machine veiltail has done it again. He was fine yesterday, but when I looked in the tank today something looked off about his tail. When he finally moved enough for me to get a good look, I saw there was a tear down the middle of his tail. Not sure how he managed that with only silk plant and a leaf hammock, but he did. Treatment options?

He lives in a divided 5.5 gallon as of Sunday with my crowntail on the other side. His side has a Whisper 10i filter and the heater. Temperature is steady at 80F. There is no aeration.

He is fed 5 pellets/ day (2 morning and 3 evening) with occasional frozen bloodworms. He gets a fast once a week. As they are new to the tank, I have been using a turkey baster to get rid of waste, and I have not yet done a water change. The first 50% water change was planned for either later today or tomorrow. I will be using Stress Coat as the water conditioner.

His behavior is unchanged. I have not started any treatment. He had a minor case of tail biting when he was in the 1/2 gallon, but that stopped when I took the plastic plant out. I got him from the pet store just over 2 months ago and he was a bit on the smaller size so he might be on the younger side of when they get shipped.

The first picture shows his side of the tank with him curled up on the hammock. The second shows how his tail is torn.
Attached Images

RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #2 
Myates

Handsome boy.. make sure the filter isn't too strong, as sometimes if they aren't baffled they can split the fins.

For a split fin such as that, there is nothing you can do- it should fuse back together within a day or two. Stress Coat will help regrowth, as well as plenty of protein in the diet.

I zoomed in, but it's still hard to see.. does he tail bite or had he been going through problems with fin rot?

If he is tail biting, I would add in some more plants and a cave, as too bare of a tank can cause them to become either stressed or bored with lack of mental stimulation and either of those can cause them to bite their fins.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #3 
RillC

He did one small bout of tail biting when he was in a 1/2 gallon, but he stopped that as soon as I took the plastic plant out. He just hasn't healed completely from it. It's strange, but he stopped when he had a completely bare tank, no gravel or anything.

Good to know it's the filter. I'll try to get the sponge on it to slow it down.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the sponge on the filter. Do you think that will slow the flow enough to help him? He does seem to like riding the current occasionally. I might give him some frozen bloodworms tonight for extra protein.
Attached Images

Last edited by RillC; 12-10-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #4 
Myates

It might work.. as long as it doesn't push him around and he is able to get to the surface easily it should be fine. If the surface water is always moving around then he may not make any bubble nests.. but as long as there are spots that are calm where he can breathe easier then it's good.

If he prefers a bare tank, then by all means, give it to him.. lol, you know your little one better then anyone else :)

He'll love the frozen bloodworm :) And he'll be just fine.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #5 
RillC

I just did their first water change in their new home and noticed that the veiltail must have felt strange with that rip in his tail because he's started biting again. I guess he doesn't want to have his usual Sunday fast. At least I used extra Stress Coat for the water change.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #6 
Myates

It may be the rip, or it may be from the new home- sometimes they get upset at new, larger spaces. Normally in time they adjust.. but not every time. Just keep an eye on him and hopefully he will calm down and enjoy his new digs.

I have a guy who when placed in a larger tank, even a 2 gallon one.. will get stressed, be lethargic and sleep too much. But when in a 1 gallon he's active, swims about and explores the plants and says hi to the neighboring fish in the next tank over. Silly fish..
Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #7 
Luimeril

clean, warm water. if you have access to Indian Almond Leaves or naturally dried oak leaves, add one to the tank. that's all you need. try giving him more plants, that may stop the tail biting. :U
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote