Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #21 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misakitty View Post
I"m surprised you say that; my cories love the camera. They come up to see what the 'shiny thing' is before hogging the view. It's a problem if I'm trying to photograph anyone else in the tank. :P
How many cories do you have and are they all the same coloration?
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #22 
BettaMiah

Yup! I also have a Cory Cat question- Can you house different color types together? Like Kia with a Panda and an albino and a spotted?
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #23 
BettaMiah

Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #24 
Super Sly

Heres some pics of my spotted cories. I couldn't get one of my ecudorian cory he just hides behind his favorite plant.
Attached Images

Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #25 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
Yup! I also have a Cory Cat question- Can you house different color types together? Like Kia with a Panda and an albino and a spotted?
Species matters over color type. Cories of the same species with school with each other over other species. They will only school with catfish of other species out of necessity like when kept in a tank when there is only one of each species. I have seen a large cory tank with peppereds, bronze and albino C. aeneus, and pandas. All the different species kept to themselves. C. aeneus of different colors will school together--I have 3 different colors in the tank that all school together and actually breed with each other.

Miah--since Kia is a green cory she can be housed with bronze and albinos and they will still school with each other.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #26 
BettaMiah

Cool- but no peppered or spotted or pandas? Always wanted those. Lol.

Why is that? Do you know? Aren't they all just cory cats?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #27 
Misakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
How many cories do you have and are they all the same coloration?
I currently have 1 albino and 1 spotted. Until last week I had 2 albinos and 1 spotted. Whenever I try to have more than two, for some reason the others act left out and get sick. A buddy of mine has been schooling me on cories and said having one spotted was fine, that he would school with the albinos. So far it's true, they snuggle when they sleep and play together constantly.
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #28 
hedgehog

It's because they're all different species and they feel more comfortable with their own species. A panda cory is not the same as a bronze cory. If you wanted spotted or peppered cories you would have to buy 4 of that species in addition to the 3 you need for Kia.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #29 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misakitty View Post
I currently have 1 albino and 1 spotted. Until last week I had 2 albinos and 1 spotted. Whenever I try to have more than two, for some reason the others act left out and get sick. A buddy of mine has been schooling me on cories and said having one spotted was fine, that he would school with the albinos. So far it's true, they snuggle when they sleep and play together constantly.
Generally in these cases it's because they are schooling out of necessity. If you had four albinos and four spotted cories the two buddies would likely stop interacting except at feeding time. Cories feel most comfortable with members of the same species but also with groups of four. When there's only 2 they school together to get the benefits of social interaction but they would prefer to be with members of their own species. I have seen large tanks filled with many 3 different species of cories and the three species stayed completely separate. Among the big schools little groups of same species cories broke off and played with each other.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #30 
BettaMiah

Ah, I see. Like all bettas are bettas but there are wild types and the ones we can get at Petsmart. Lol.

Okay. Kia will be getting some friends! <3