Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #1 
pieleld

Heater Problems :/

I'm using a Hydor Theo 25W heater in my filtered 5 gallon tank. I live in a dorm room where ambient room temperatures are constantly fluctuating, especially during the winter nights. I have the heater set at 83 degrees and it barely manages to get it up to 79 during the day and at night the temperature drops to 76. I don't really like all this fluctuation. I was wondering what I should do, either buy a different 25W heater or try the Hydor Theo 50W. Any suggestions?

Cliffs-
-25W heater can't keep up with cold room temps
-Buy different 25W heater, or try same heater in 50W?
-Want consistent water temperature at 80 degrees.
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #2 
LionCalie

I have a 100W Hydor Theo and it is total junk. Currently the thermostat is set to 70 F when the water temperature is actually 77 F. I've seen a lot of reviews that also state they have problems with the thermostat not working properly on that brand of heater. 25W should be perfect for a 5 gallon, so I would buy a different heater. I recommend the Hagen Elite Submersible Heater. It's 25 watts with an adjustable dial. I have it in my 5 gallon and it keeps the temp at a steady 80 F.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #3 
pieleld

The problem is that my room hits around 67 degrees at night. I'm starting to think that 25W isn't enough power to keep the water 13 degrees higher than the room temperature. How many G tank is the 100 W in?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

The heater should be able to adjust to the change in ambient temp. A good heater will turn on and off as it senses the temperature meeting or falling below the desired temp.

I would email the customer service reps at Hydor and tell them about your problem and ask if you can get a replacement heater. My 50w hydor never has an issue heating my 12 gallon tank and right now I'm not even running my heat so my apartment temps are fluctuating between 60 and 75 as Savannah can't decide whether it's winter or summer outside.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #5 
LionCalie

Our house gets around 67 F at night as well. The 25w Elite has no problems keeping up. I also agree with 1fish2fish with exchanging it for a new one and seeing if that solves the problem if you don't want to buy a different brand.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #6 
pieleld

This is my second Hydor 25 W. I just had it exchanged for free. Was doing the same thing before, and the new one isn't any different. The heater turns on about ever minute for 30 seconds and turns off. There are three possible conclusions I can draw from this: 1.) 25 W is not enough power to heat my tank in low room temps. 2.) I received 2 broken heaters. 3.) Hydor Theo is a garbage heater.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #7 
pieleld

Any other suggestions anyone? I don't want to waste any more time buying a bunch of heaters.....would a 50W do a better job?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

It might. With a 5 gallon I'd use a 50 watt myself.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I have a 25W theo in my 2.5 gal. Keeps it within 1 degree of 80.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #10 
acadialover

hearters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieleld View Post
Any other suggestions anyone? I don't want to waste any more time buying a bunch of heaters.....would a 50W do a better job?
I have been through exactly what you have with heaters. I had to run to Petco, because mine was just not doing the job and I was worried. Two weeks ago I bought an Aqueon 5o watt for my 5 gallon. It keeps it at exactly where I set it, 80 degrees, no matter what my room temp si which fluctuates between 65 and 70 during the day. Wonderful. I think I am going to buy another as backup...
I believe it was 19.99. I have gone through STEALTH PRO, VISI -THERM, HYDOR. The others were 25 w.
Keep us posted
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote