Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #21 
Mikkisaur

His popeye is gone, but his tummy looks a little big. He's been, ahem, pooping as usual, so I might just be going crazy. His tumor/lymph thing got a lot bigger o.o" I'm not sure what to do about that. On the other hand, I kinda want to switch him to aquarium salt because it looks like he has some kind of fungus on his mouth and his lips are all swollen like he got punched in the face. Lately he's been missing when he eats, and sleeping a lot when it's time for food, even though they're on a schedule. Poor boy, I think I might post an updated picture of the lump, it's kind of worrisome how much it's changed.
Mikkisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #22 
BettaRepublic

A picture of the lump would really help. Oh, yea. Zoom in and let me SEE the LUMP, not the fish!
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #23 
Mikkisaur

There really isn't more I can do. It's either focus or zoom. The silly camera gets confused when I zoom. So. That's all I've got.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #24 
DarkMoon17

If his lips are swelling then Epsom is what you need... Unless you see fuzz or white stuff on there too. Does your camera have a macro option? It should be a button with a flower icon or something similar.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #25 
Mikkisaur

Sadly, that is the macro option -____-" silly thing. I came home from a weekend away the other night and my mum had gone ahead and fed them while I was gone, without any idea how. The poor things are both bloated and refuse to even look at food, and even just now they're laying about, completely ignoring me and the food. I need to clean both out again tomorrow, so maybe I'll try the pea thing. Even if they aren't eating right now. On another note, Gramps' color is paled up. It's all silvery on the bottom, and the rest is just... blah. Comet chewed EVERYTHING while I was gone, so it seems. More water changes, yay.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #26 
Mikkisaur

*update*

An update on what's been happening, since I'm confused again.
His lump popped, and the water was all cloudy. It took a few days to notice, because he just sat in a top corner, and hid in his plant. He's pale, and one of his gills is swollen. On top of that, it looks like he has fin rot, because his fins are all tattered and there was what looks like black fin bits in between his glass pebbles. He's on epsom salts right now, but I'm pretty sure I should switch him to aquarium salt. Is there any specific way to make the transition? At the moment, his tank has no plant and the water level is low because he still has that issue where his tail sinks and it's hard for him to swim. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #27 
callistra

He's needing some antibiotics. I would try very hard to find Kanamyacin (most easy to find form is Kanaplex by Seachem). Try yellowpages.com. Search for 'aquariums' and call down the list. What does his poop look like? Is all of the bloat gone? I would not put in aquarium salts if there is any sign of bloat to his body.

It said you took a few days to notice he pooped.. if he is in .5 gallon I thought you were doing water changes every other day? This needs to continue.

Last edited by callistra; 01-10-2012 at 04:27 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #28 
Mikkisaur

I've been doing water changes everyday because of what's been going on, but sometimes I have no choice but to rush through it because of school etc. He's been pooping normally for quite a while now, that is definitely not the problem. The problem now is the hole that the mystery lump decided to leave in his dorsal, and the fact that he's scales are raised now. I'm starting to really worry that I'm just going to lose him.
ETA: his poop is normal, kinda like curly brown strings.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #29 
Mikkisaur

Oh God... I just came in to check on him and he's passed away as far as I can see. His color is all dark, and he's just laying on his side at the bottom of the bowl. His gills aren't moving... I feel horrible.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #30 
callistra

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Once you start noticing pine coining it normally goes very quickly and you have be ready to treat immediately for it be successful, and even then there isn't any promise of success. Once it gets to that point it becomes difficult to cure as what you are really seeing is symptoms of organ failure because the infection has hurt his insides. His infection definetly went internal and only a few meds are really effective on this. If you can't find a variety of good meds locally, good idea to keep some staples on hand in case of emergencies. I would make sure you always have Kanaplex, Metronidazole, Focus, and Epsom Salt (pure 100% no additives) at least as these are harder to find and also are some of the more effective on the really tough stuff that needs immediate treatment.

Last edited by callistra; 01-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, dropsy, emergency, mystery, sick