Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #1 
thejapanesezombie

Exclamation Help :( !!! betta stressed out!

I just transfered my betta into a 5.5 gallon tank but he's suddenly super stressed out!!!! :( I think my filter might be too strong for him. I'm using an AquaClear 20! How can I fix this? I dont want Aldo to stress out so much that he gets sick or dies. And I cant go out tonight because the roads are icy where I live. pH is at 7.3. Temp is at 80F. This is a fish in cycle using a cycling bacteria I'm on day 2.
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #2 
Betta Rookie

I've found that the best way to quiet a filter on the fly is to pull apart a (clean) shower puff and tie that around the output leaving the ends hanging in the water to soften the current further. You could try a clean cloth or sponge if you don't have a shower puff.
Maybe it will work?
Betta Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #3 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Rookie View Post
I've found that the best way to quiet a filter on the fly is to pull apart a (clean) shower puff and tie that around the output leaving the ends hanging in the water to soften the current further. You could try a clean cloth or sponge if you don't have a shower puff.
Maybe it will work?
Thank you so much I'm going to do that now. I'll update you in an hour or so. THANK YOU.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #4 
flowerslegacy

Hi Japanesezombie - There are a couple of methods for baffling your filter in the "sticky" section under Habitats. One method is the "plastic water bottle" method and the other is the "sponge" method. Both work well, but some folks have had problems with the water bottle method. I'll let you research those threads and come up with the answer that is best for you. The method I use is the sponge method, however, I use bonded filter pads. You can buy a bag of it for about $6 at either Petsmart or Petco (or any other Local Fish Store) and it comes in a handy single sheet. I cut off strips of it, a little wider than the filter outflow and then stuff some of it inside the filter while I allow the excess to hang down a little into the water. It completely stops the current flow while still allowing the filter to flow properly and also allows a great place for beneficial bacteria to grow. Just another suggestion as you research the best option for you.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #5 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerslegacy View Post
Hi Japanesezombie - There are a couple of methods for baffling your filter in the "sticky" section under Habitats. One method is the "plastic water bottle" method and the other is the "sponge" method. Both work well, but some folks have had problems with the water bottle method. I'll let you research those threads and come up with the answer that is best for you. The method I use is the sponge method, however, I use bonded filter pads. You can buy a bag of it for about $6 at either Petsmart or Petco (or any other Local Fish Store) and it comes in a handy single sheet. I cut off strips of it, a little wider than the filter outflow and then stuff some of it inside the filter while I allow the excess to hang down a little into the water. It completely stops the current flow while still allowing the filter to flow properly and also allows a great place for beneficial bacteria to grow. Just another suggestion as you research the best option for you.
Thank you so much =w= I have a spare filter pad from my REALLY bad filter (topfin filters suck) that I never used before. I should just cut apart and do just that and use the rest to clean the tank with when I'm doing maintenance.

I appreciate it and I'll go hunt for the sticky! You guys have been so super helpful I seriously cant thank you enough <3
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #6 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejapanesezombie View Post
Thank you so much =w= I have a spare filter pad from my REALLY bad filter (topfin filters suck) that I never used before. I should just cut apart and do just that and use the rest to clean the tank with when I'm doing maintenance.

I appreciate it and I'll go hunt for the sticky! You guys have been so super helpful I seriously cant thank you enough <3

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2-09at2004.jpg

.... thank you. The pad isn't even tied. It's inside the filter slightly under the top layer's bag. I think it flows through the pad, not over it and into the water. and suddenly Aldo has some more freedom to move properly. Does this look safe? it's cut from a new filter pad I had lying around.

it wont affect the filter quality will it?

Last edited by thejapanesezombie; 12-09-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added a question hehe
Old 12-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 
flowerslegacy

Perfect. It looks identical to mine. I have an Aquaclear Filter in one of my tanks as well and I secure it under the biorock bag too. I used to use a rubber band to hold my filter pad in place until I discovered that I could just secure it inside my filter. I've never had any of mine come loose either. I even use one in my Community Tank and my Flower Shrimp hang on it and climb all over it! My bettas really like this set up because they can swim behind the pad and kind of use it like a cave. You can play around with the length of the pad too. I found myself cutting them longer and longer just because the bettas like to play around it. :)
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #8 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Perfect. It looks identical to mine. I have an Aquaclear Filter in one of my tanks as well and I secure it under the biorock bag too. I used to use a rubber band to hold my filter in place until I discovered that I could just secure it inside my filter. I've never had any of mine come loose either. I even use one in my Community Tank and my Flower Shrimp hang on it and climb all over it! My bettas really like this set up because they can swim behind the pad and kind of use it like a cave. You can play around with the length of the pad too. I found myself cutting them longer and longer just because the bettas like to play around it. :)
Fantastic! I can't thank you enough for helping me out. Aldo started gaining the colour back in his face now and is swimming all over the place (never realized how fast he was...!!)

Now I just need some more decor to keep him stimulated). He's currently looking at me through the tank hehe (and playing with my master test kit since I have a submersible one)

Still, thanks so much, it's even made my filter a bit more quiet!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #9 
flowerslegacy

You're very welcome! Remember, when you do your water changes, be sure you rinse out the filter pad in old tank water to remove any particulate matter, gross gunk, etc. Never rinse it in tap water, because that will kill all the beneficial bacteria that will be growing in it. Just swish it and squeeze it really good in the old tank water that you're going to discard. It should last a really long time. You can keep it until it basically falls apart.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #10 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
You're very welcome! Remember, when you do your water changes, be sure you rinse out the filter pad in old tank water to remove any particulate matter, gross gunk, etc. Never rinse it in tap water, because that will kill all the beneficial bacteria that will be growing in it. Just swish it and squeeze it really good in the old tank water that you're going to discard. It should last a really long time. You can keep it until it basically falls apart.
thats fantastic :3 I'll make sure I swish it when I'm cleaning my tank/ doing water changes. I know not to clean it too thoroughly so I dont kill the good bacteria trying to establish itself in my tank! I got a question though, for the filter (you can tell I'm new to this hobby) how often should I clean it? and in the same way? swish in old tank water? I'm nto sure how otem I should change the stuff inside the filter either. I'm still reading up