Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Microsword vs. Green Algae

Has anyone on here had any experience with getting green algae off of microsword? There's some trying to grow on it and I'm having difficult getting it off -.- I'm kinda worried the algae will eventually suffocate it ;__;
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Just a bit of added info: I've been having my light run for 12 hours, so I'm toning it down to 11 for now and eventually to 10 so that the algae will (hopefully) not run so rampant. I have wisteria, an anubias, two marimos and of course, microsword. I don't have a filter running in there anymore as my plants seemed to be having growth spurts so I figured they'll do fine without it now. I was adding a few drops of fertilizer (Seachem Flourish) but now I think I won't, as I know the plants aren't really in need of the extra nutrients and I'm assuming it will help cut back on the algae problem/keep them from sucking in the extra nutrients. I do have aquarium potting soil in there that's capped with a bit of sand. Also, I just cleaned my tank and, while I pretty much got all the algae everywhere else, the main problem places I'm worried about are all over the swords -.-

Edit: Also, I do have an apple snail, but he doesn't seem to want to eat the algae... I tried not feeding him for a day, but maybe that isn't enough for him to want to eat the algae or...? Not really sure there -.-

Last edited by Draug Isilme; 12-09-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #3 
BasilBetta87

Try Seachem Excel. It is a carbon substitute that plants can use but algae cannot. This will give the plants more to work with and can start to out compete the algae. If you do get some be sure to not overdose it, it can kill fish.
BasilBetta87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #4 
MoePaac

i would decrease the photoperiod as you suggested. Takes a little bit of playing with it, but you just have to adjust until you find that sweet-spot for your setup. Other than that, use your fingers to gently wipe off some of the algae.

Also if you are using the flourish, do a water change before you add another dosing. This way it can get out some of the excess nutrients that weren't used and that the algae is probably feeding off of.

Apple snails aren't big algae eaters. Nerites are known for eating algae... but I've noticed mine only eat certain types and I still have to manually clear some algae out from time to time.

Unless you have that golden sweet-spot in your aquarium, or you are using high amounts of CO2, algae to some degree is inevitable. That being said, I wouldn't let it cover your plants too much, and just brushing it off with your hand should do the trick until you make adjustments.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

BasilBetta: I've never really liked the idea of using excel since it has a tendency to melt certain plants, especially since I want to add more plants when I get the chance and I'm not sure what kind of plants just yet. Plus if I do accidentally OD with it, that's an even worse outcome.. Nor do I like the idea of buying the product to get rid fo the algae if that's the main reason and I'm kind of on a budget... I do appreciate the suggestion, though.
MoePaac: I adjusted my timer to run 11 hours at a time last night- I've had the timer for about a week and looking at it closely today it seems like the algae is beginning to die(?) Some of it is still green, but there's some brown and greyish looking algae on the blades of grass. I'm not going to add anymore ferts until the algae goes away so that way there's a bit less food for the plants and (hopefully) it will help the other plants out compete the algae, but I was adding it only during a water change (which is once a week). I was hoping to be able to rely on my snail a bit more for the job, but it's alright- I've grown to like him quite a bit ^.^ I'm somewhat thinking he's eating the algae, though, 'cause I've been keeping to a regular schedule when feeding him, but it seems like his shell growth has quickened- which from what I researched can cause a weak shell... He's never had any problems up until recently and that's about when the algae appeared. I'll probably cut back his food, though, to see if that will help. The pH and such are at a good level, so I'm sure it's not because of bad water and I add a piece of calcium tab for him to munch on when needed. Hopefully I'll be able to find that 'sweet-spot'. I haven't read much about CO2 injections and such, so as far as that goes, it's kind of alien to me at the moment -.-; but so long as the algae isn't running rampant/trying to take over any of my plants, then it's fine to have a bit of it. I'll try to get some of the algae off using my hands/fingers, but I'm not sure how well that will work just yet- I was having difficulty cleaning the microsword because they wanted to uproot, so yeah... pretty much why I was asking ^.^; We'll see how it goes..
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #6 
BasilBetta87

I hear ya about not wanting to melt your plants or kill your fish. Just do what you're doing, less light and less food. Do you run the light for 11 hours straight or do you break it up into a 5 hour block, dark for an hour or two then 6 more hours of light then night? That might help the plants and slow the algae.
BasilBetta87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Yeah, since I've finally got a timer to keep my light on a schedule, I've been having it for 11 hours straight. It's funny, earlier I came across a forum talking about breaking the lighting time into two groups, but since it had been the only time I had seen it mentioned I wasn't sure.... but since you brought it up, I think I will try the 5h/1h break/6h deal ^.^ It's already pretty late, so I'm gonna go ahead and take off an hour in the middle and move that to the hour I had previously taken off/when the light first turns in the early part of the day. After a few days, I'll take off an hour so that it'll be from 11h to 10h if it seems like it's not helping much or if it seems like the algae isn't going away fast enough.