Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #1 
FuulieQ

Fish eating too little?

Robert has never been a big eater. Weirdly, he always refuses bloodworms. Usually he will only eat one or two pellets per day, and only if I cut them in half first - if the piece is too big, he chomps it and then gives up and spits it out.

He has always been like this. I can't get him to eat any more than two pellets per day, I've had him for MONTHS. He doesn't look skinny, he seems fine. I just think it's weird that he doesn't eat hungrily like Friedrich did.

This most recent time that I moved him, he didn't eat for two or three days afterward. He's since started eating again, but like I said, never eats too much. The pellets I give him are soft - they're technically made for my dwarf frogs, but he likes them and I don't have to worry about soaking them (he won't eat pellets if they don't float - and soaked hard pellets don't usually float long enough for him to be interested in). Ugh, I wish someone would make a soft food formulated for bettas. :c

What do you guys think? Should I try different foods to see if there are any he likes better? Could there be something wrong with him that makes him not want to eat?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Hehe...for once about a Betta aka piglet not wanting to eat (assuming healthy). If your avatar Robert? He looks pretty darn buff and healthy to me. Hmmm....how interesting he doesn't like Bloodworms. All the other bettas are probably thinking "you don't know what you are missing!" or "Yay...none for you, more for me!" If I were you, I would probably try different type of pellets. I think he is just a pickier eater than most.

On the contrary, my bettas do NOT like soft pellets (soaked hard pellet), they turn their little noses at them. They only like it if they can crunch it. If it's wet and they didn't know it, they will spit it back out and stuck their "tongues" at me and rolled their eyes!

I don't really think anything is wrong with him. He is just a really really picky eater. So go ahead and try different type to see how he fares and it's always nice to have alternatives.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #3 
kfryman

i would definitely just try another type, some are picky some don't care as long as it floats. I am lucky that Faron will eat any food. (Even tropical flakes, just saying I don't feed him tropical flakes, I wanted to see if he could eat them if I didn't have any more food.)
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

Yeah, I guess you guys are probably right. I'll try and see if he likes any of the smaller hard pellets. Weirdo. :/

He does look pretty buff in my avatar. He might have lost a little mass but he's still not a skinny dude. :P
Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #5 
EvilVOG

are they freeze-dried or frozen or live bloodworms? most of my bettas wouldn't touch the freeze-dried stuff, but go absolutely crazy for the frozen.

Frog pellets are bloodworms usually...

do you have a set time, and spot in the tank, when you feed? It took me a couple weeks to train my fish as to when and where food would be, and now they're ready to eat like clockwork.

And a couple pellets a day isn't bad, as long as he doesn't rapidly lose size, but definitely try and get him on a more specific betta formulated pellet. I use Aqueon right now but they don't float real good, so you might want to avoid them.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #6 
FuulieQ

The frog pellets actually aren't made of bloodworms, I checked the ingredients and it seemed to be mostly protein. I'm concerned that he doesn't get enough vitamins maybe, that's the only difference that I've been able to think of since they really are mostly made of the same stuff as betta pellets that I've had before. I'll try him on Hikari if I can find any left over tonight.

I don't buy freeze dried bloodworms, I heard they can cause intestinal blocks so the only ones I have are frozen. He was fed bloodworms at the store so I don't know why he won't eat them when I give them to him.

I do usually feed at a specific corner of the tank. He'll usually go there if he's hungry when I walk up to him.

He might be a little brain damaged. ._. A couple months ago he nearly suffocated when his container submerged itself while I was moving. I had to manually lift him to the surface for air. He came through it perfectly fine, recovered in about 15 minutes and colored right back up, but I give him a little slack in the brains department anyway. :P If you get my drift.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #7 
EvilVOG

ok, the frog pellets i see are bloodworms.

If he's eating and not showing any sickness then he's probably fine.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #8 
mardi

I went through something similar with my Bowie.

I recommend looking at the ingredients of the pellets you're currently feeding him; Take note of the first ingredient, and see if you're able to find any Betta specific pellets that have the same base and size of the ones you're currently using

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=87544

^ The above is a link to a thread I started while, at my most frustrated, trying to introduce pellets to my picky eater.

I hope this helps! And do let me know how things work out.

Last edited by mardi; 12-10-2011 at 01:23 AM.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #9 
Myates

Not only the fish/meat meal that should be the first ingredient, there are lots of other things the betta needs that they get from betta-specific foods. Check the fiber, the fat, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #10 
FuulieQ

I tried to give him the Hikari pellets, as soon as he realized it wasn't his normal food (as soon as it crunched) he spat it out and would have nothing to do with it. :/

First ingredient on the frog pellets is fish meal. First ingredient on Hikari Betta Bio-Gold is wheat flour. I find that weird, a lot of forum members recommended that to me and that's why I got it... Maybe that's why he won't eat it? He's used to more meat-ish taste and less grain-y taste?