Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #1 
animallover

Petsmart said "Betta Forums" are wrong about tankmates

Hi,
I just signed up here and I still need to fill out the rest of my profile! I have owned various types of fish and am now working on my 6 and 7 Betta! (the other 5 have passed) So I have always had them alone and was always told to do so. Now, I see on this forum as well as others that sometimes they can be mixed depending on the betta's aggression. Petsmart said "don't trust those forums, they cant be with other fish, their fighters". Well, my black Betta ( flareboy) is by himself-the name says it all. My other one "Mint" is in a temporary small container in front of my 29gallon community fish tank. I have a paper dividing the tanks but he will just lay on the gravel or plant and not move.When he gets to see the other fish, he swims "with them back and fourth" and has never flared! Even when I had the other Betta near him, he did not flare. So the other 10 gallon is now cycled for him,( took a month) do I try tank-mate for him? I am sorry this is so long,but I feel I would get proper information from you all instead of Petsmart! P.S. I have read the other questions/answers on the same topic, but really confused when petsmart said no. Also, he said to have one Albino Cory catfish with the Betta if I insisted in a 10 gallon.
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

Sadly....most petstores no NOTHING of bettas... or other fish for that matter

You CAN have males in community tanks...but only ONE
And it depends on the male
A lof of times boys will stop flring or wont flare... a lot of people guess this is from being kept in close quarters next to a lot of other males for long periods of time... they loose their "mojos" as my BF says... if you keep them away from other males for awhile (sometimes just getting them out of the itty bitty cup) they will get their "mojos back"

You can try your male in a community tank, if he gets to mean to the others, he will have to be removed.... but honestly the biggest problem is usually OTHER fish bothering the betta.... bettas are slow moving and their fins are often a great target for other fish
make sure your tank is not over stocked
and make sureto monitor everyone for a couple days
but really, no one seems to have any REAL trouble with community tanks in most cases

And Cories need to be kept in groups of at last 3... 5 is prefered... they are social fish and do better in groups
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #3 
Rosso1011

I have heard of different users trying different types of tank mates with their betta if they think temperament will allow for a successful community. I have heard of people using certain types of tetras and I have heard of people putting in cories with their bettas.

My personal opinion is that cories are the safer bet. Corydoras are peaceful fish that can get along with just about anything. I agree that cories should be kept in a small group, but my personal opinion is a minimum of 4. From what I've researched they like larger groups, but can be kept happy at about 4.

I personally will not give an opinion on housing bettas with tetras, some people are successful with making this community work. I do not know enough about housing tetras with bettas to help you out.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #4 
animallover

Hello,
Thank you both for replying so fast! I am still trying to learn my way around here! So to LittleBettas, Yes, I agree with only one male Betta. He never flared from day one,had him a month? ( I got him at petsmart and the other at Petsbarn) As far as his current setup, its a critter carrier but I do see your point about a bigger tank! Ok, so no Albino Cory's for him! I was hoping for the Dwarf cory but have not found any here, I heard I could have 4-6 and my Betta without overstocking. Thank You!
To Rosso 1011, I am nervous about tetras as well. In my 29, I have Long Fin Serpe Tetra,which I think are very nippy and heard most are.I agree with having only a type of catfish( my tank is not ready for Otos). They are gentle, I have another 29 gallon with two other types of cats and love them! Well,my Betta looks like he will have to be by himself when I move him tomorrow! :( Thank you both
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

I have heard problems with tetras being nippy.... but I have never kept them
There are people here who have albino Coried in their tanks with their male bettas (I have NO experiance with Cories) but I know they like having sandy botoms and being in groups... EVERYONE here LOVES them and I have always heard good things about them
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #6 
EvilVOG

Betta forums say PetSmart is wrong about tankmates...

Betta's are territorial fish, but every fish is different about how tolerant they will be of others.

One of my LFS have a couple display tanks that are 40 gallons or so and have a male betta with a few other fish, and that helped me pick out tank mates for my sorority tank. Harlquin Rasboas (not sure how to spell that) have been great for my girls. They school together and generally stay out of the betta's way. The rules for picking tankmates are that, they need to be non-aggressive, not brightly colored, and my personal addition smaller than the bettas.

Even with these rules your betta may just not be tolerant of sharing space, and you wind up finding shredded pieces of your betta's former tankmate littered all over the bottom of your tank. I just had my male rip his tankmate apart (a ghost shrimp).
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #7 
Sakura8

I agree wholeheartedly with what everyone has said. It all comes down to the individual betta's personality. I've tried several of my bettas in community tanks, one stocked with danios and another stocked with neon tetras. The danio tank situation didn't work out so well as the danios were just too darn hyper. But all of the bettas I put in with tetras worked out fine.

I think perhaps the key to keeping bettas with tetras is to have enough tetras. The bigger the school, the more likely they are to play with each other and not bully the betta. I have 10 tetras but I have a feeling if I'd had even 6, my results could have been different.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #8 
Luimeril

of course Pet stores don't want you finding this place, and other forums! xD they'll lose money if you do. ;3

i've heard neon tetras, cory catfish, and one other kind of Tetra... can't place it.

i've also heard that it depends on the betta. some do okay with guppies, my own tore my favorite guppy apart after slipping the divider(i had him in with them for a while, behind a divider).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I've heard platies do well too. But I've also heard of a betta mauling a platy and of platy mauling a betta.

Basically, whatever you try, make sure you have plenty of time to just observe and be ready to yank out someone in trouble.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Personally, I think bettas are better off living by themselves since they are solitary fish BUT some CAN live in a community tank if they have the right personality for it. It's just a matter of trying it and keeping a close eye on things and being prepared to pull the betta out and give him his own tank if you have to.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote