Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #11 
Tikibirds

Rule No. 1..NEVER listen to petsmart or Petco employees. 99.9% of the time they have no idea what they are talking about. Even if they have fish themselves, they seem to know nothing about bettas.

I think corys would be nice to have. Never had any myself though.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #12 
animallover

Thanks Everyone,
I thank you all for writing me back! I agree with the employees not knowing everything! Well, I only was thinking of adding them because my boy is calm when it comes to being near other fish. If it didn't work, I would add the catfish to the 29 gallon community. Well, having not enough space in the 10, I can not add the Albinos, and I am too nervous about adding any other types of fish. I do not want snails and although the frogs are cute, I am worried about the bacterial issues that come with them!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #13 
hellofishy

I started off with a mystery snail as my first tankmate with my male betta, kato. It worked out as a "test" because the could not harm the snail because it had a shell to protect him. Aside from a couple inital curious nips, i didn't have any problem. Since i felt he would not be really agressive towards tanksmates i bought neon tetras and they did great. So yes, it does depend on personality
hellofishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #14 
Myates

One of the things you have to look at is where in the tanks do the fish swim at the most.. bettas tend to be more surface dwellers, so gouramis tend to be out of the question- them and bettas can be territorial and both breathe out of a labyrinth organ. The gourami tends to be more aggressive out of the two.

Some bettas have problems with small, fast schooling fish. So if your betta is shy or nervous, then I would avoid them. Danios may not be as small, but they are quick and are notorious fin nippers.

Catfish in general need large tanks, and will eat anything that can fit into their mouths.. those aren't ideal for any fish that are a betta's size.

Cichlids tend to be too territorial and aggressive as well.

But there are still a lot of good fish such as guppies, platy, mollies (especially the balloon ones), sword tails and cory doras- are what I would personally stick with- with more females then males for the live bearers (1 male per 3 female is the basic general rule of thumb for them), as the females tend to be a little more passive and more gentle with the bettas. The cories you can't tell.. but they are very peaceful fish to be with the betta.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #15 
Kytkattin

I personally have ghost shrimp and a mystery snail. I was actually surprised the ghost shrimp lived so far. One even shed last night and is still alive! I personally like those best as tankmates for bettas just because they are easy to set up on their own if there is a problem. Always have a back-up plan!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #16 
animallover

To hellofishy, that's a good idea how to test them! I like snails but do not like how big they get or reproduce! My kids insisted on Hermit Crabs which were not that easy to take care of so, I guess I'm nervous on that! I'm glad your fish got along with it. To Myates, your right, that's why I wanted more of a bottom dwelling fish with him. The Albinos get to about 2.5-3 cm and the dwarf corries get to about 2 inches.( are they catfish?) I love all the fish you mentioned and had them over the years except guppy's. In the very far, far future I would like a Guppy, Platty and Otto tank. I have more then enough tanks now, along with Gerbils and Outside Turtles! To Kytkattin, how long have you had your ghost shrimp? I thought about it but I really think even my calm Betta would eat them,especially after a molt!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #17 
Pitluvs

I've sucessfully had a male betta with a silver dollars, but I'd never try that again lol

Each set up depends on a few things... having the right fish for the right place in your tank (top, mid, bottom dwellers), having personalities that match, aggression, tank size.... if you have the time and supplies you can easily find tank mates for male Bettas. I would never suggest Tetras usually, but there are a few slower more shy Tetras out there that would work great. Glowlights are mid dwellers that are pretty shy. I like Rasboras with Bettas too. But you have to know the personality of the types of fish you wish to put in with Bettas.

And pet stores, oh my. I was told I could never work at mine because I am over qualified. I know too much about each fish, therefore I would overwhelm new customers with proper information and I would also make sure they have solid tanks and never come back for more fish. Pet store are run by companies that want you to buy product and fish. They want you buying 12 different types of medicine, and they want you to replace your fish. They want you to try everything until you find what works. My store hates that I know what I'm doing when I walk in, and I always turn down their suggestions because I know better. I mean my store told me that Bettas like cold water and Goldfish are best tank mates in a 2.65g tank. Like, whoah!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #18 
Arashi Takamine

Everyone's right when they say Petsmart is code for moron. The idiot working at my local one just grabbed Lelouch's cup and SHOOK HIM to see if he was alive. Lulu was flaring at me and building a bubble nest in his cup before that.

Needless to say my mom and I were horrified and that poor baby got a new home with us.

Tankmates depend. I don't think mollies will work as they are brackish water fish and I read somewhere that they flare too so it's just an invited for a betta to go hunting so to speak.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #19 
animallover

Pitluvs,
Silver Dollars and a Betta? That is different! I think my Serpe Tetras are nippy fish so I see what you are saying,those are good suggestions. Earlier I said my tank was cycled, but the Ammonia jumped up, so I have to wait a little longer to add any fish." Mint" is still enjoying looking at the others tho.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #20 
animallover

Arashi Takamine,
Oh no, that's horrible! Im glad you and your mom took him home! Yea, after I bought my mollies back in the 1990's and this year,already mixed them with the other non brackish fish, I found out they were brackish (oops) but have been alive now for about 6 months? Well, they rule the community tank for sure!