Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #21 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover View Post
Arashi Takamine,
Oh no, that's horrible! Im glad you and your mom took him home! Yea, after I bought my mollies back in the 1990's and this year,already mixed them with the other non brackish fish, I found out they were brackish (oops) but have been alive now for about 6 months? Well, they rule the community tank for sure!
Yeah I actually told him to be careful and he handed him to me with so much force it left ripples and a scared sunk to the bottom fish and my mom said: "I don't know (insert real name here) He's not moving much." I pointed out the moron and that was that. His name was decided after his flared up reaction moments later.

Lelouch of the Petsmart Rebellion.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #22 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover View Post
To Kytkattin, how long have you had your ghost shrimp? I thought about it but I really think even my calm Betta would eat them,especially after a molt!
About a week now. They are with my female which probably makes all the difference. They have shed, and she didn't eat them. She might nip at them if they swim up out of the plants and towards her, but she doesn't chase them at all.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #23 
EvilVOG

my male CT never accepted his GS tankmate. Ripped him to shreds after a couple days. One of my PK males must have eaten his, as there's not trace of him... My PK girl in my 20 gallon at first would get right up in there faces... she was fascinated by them, and eventually came to accept them. They now swim freely like they were fish, and even come to the surface at feeding time.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #24 
Kytkattin

I think that is how my shrimp are going to be. I actually thought there was something wrong with them because they were swimming around so much... I thought they were too active. I hope they are just happy.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #25 
Silverfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
They now swim freely like they were fish, and even come to the surface at feeding time.
I had that happen at feeding time the other night, one was upside down trying to "Walk" upside down on the water. I dropped brine shrimp on him, and he just sorta floated down and nommed.

My ghosties are in the sorority, 5/6 alive (that I can tell, lots of live plants). The girls will nip and chase occasionally but mostly ignore them.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #26 
Super Sly

I don't know too much about ghosties we had them when i lived with my aunt but...they would always jump out onto the frame of the tank and kill themselves...Cories are my favorite tankmates atm my male betta loves to play with them and hasn't really showed signs of aggresion towards them. Sometimes he will chase them around but has never nipped at them since I've got them. Then again it all still comes down to the personality of your betta. Another thing is that my tank has a ton of hiding places and sometimes my cories even try to school with the betta which I think is really funny.
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #27 
SmokeNLark

Yeah, most of the time the pet store workers don't know anything. They either have fish and have been misinformed as well. Or they get their information from the store. I now work at a Petsmart, and 3/4 of the people who work in the fish department (including me) actually know about fish. I was quite surprised. But yeah, always take their information with a grain of salt. Do your own research. And make your own conclusions. The tags about each fish at the store have tank requirements and such. Very few are alright. We have pacus (which get 2 feet long!) that say they only need 20 gallons! I don't go by those requirements and neither does anyone else at my store. And wow Pitluvs! That's crazy. My manager wants to be an ichthyologist, and knows a lot. I have made so many recommendations for people to NOT buy stuff (especially fish). And my manager agrees. He cares about the quality of life of the animal, not the sale which is great and I don't have to worry about giving correct information.

But about tankmates, I have a betta in my 29 community with platys and peppered and albino cories. He's completely fine. He actually likes hanging around the cories when they eat. I had a different betta in there before, but he got too aggressive with them. It depends on the individual fish and the species you want to house them with. Bottom dwellers are usually ok (assuming they won't outgrow the tank). Smaller rasboras and platys can work. Any semi aggressive is a no. Gouramis are related to bettas and will fight. Certain tetras and mollies tend to be nippers. I have heard of them being with guppies, but I would be extremely careful about that because of their long colorful fins might be mistaken for a betta. And of course snails and shrimp (at the risk of possibly becoming a snack) are fine.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #28 
Rosso1011

Personally SmokeNLark, I would love to try a betta/cory community but, I think my guy is a little on the aggressive side and I definitely don't have room to set up anymore aquariums. My bf has two aquariums, I have 2. I honestly didn't even want as many aquariums as we have now.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #29 
animallover

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all your suggestions!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #30 
doggyhog

First, Welcome to the forum!!! Glad to have you here. :)

Most pet store employees really don't know what they are talking about. The occasional ones do know what they are talking about but I generally get an opinion from somewhere else before taking their advice.

Snails and shrimp work well with some bettas. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote