Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #21 
Sena Hansler

exactly lol everyone has their methods :) find what works for you...
Unfortunately for me I know people who make a dog a human, and as human the dog takes over, and refuses to listen to a simple command (leave it, sit, lay down, quiet) My beagle basset only listens to me off leash (yup, offleash beagle/basset) but I worked sooo hard with her on it x.x I don't even "dominate" the dogs I've dealt with... my friend's dog tried numerous times biting me on the face (grrr) and I just grabbed his collar, pulled him to me and stared him down I think the look he gave me was
"oh my gosh. oh my gosh. someone took charge O_O"

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #22 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
exactly lol everyone has their methods :) find what works for you...
Unfortunately for me I know people who make a dog a human, and as human the dog takes over, and refuses to listen to a simple command (leave it, sit, lay down, quiet) My beagle basset only listens to me off leash (yup, offleash beagle/basset) but I worked sooo hard with her on it x.x I don't even "dominate" the dogs I've dealt with... my friend's dog tried numerous times biting me on the face (grrr) and I just grabbed his collar, pulled him to me and stared him down I think the look he gave me was
"oh my gosh. oh my gosh. someone took charge O_O"
Lol, I choose the method that takes longer, its worked for me great and I dont have to force my dogs... or the hundreds of dogs I have fostered or trained, to do anything.... not even look at me.
All three of my dogs CAN be off lead... they listen, but they are NEVER off lead. To much can go wrong, stray dogs, cars, people, etc and I have learned hat just because MY dogs behave off lead, does not mean other peoples do, I've had more than one occasion where my dogs and myself were attacked... besides... there are leash laws ;) lol

I love my way just because of the fact... I dont have to take charge, my dogs have gone through enough training, are still being trained, that they can make their own decisions based off of what they know... they know if during a walk they pick up a piece of chicken or something else someone thew from a car... I will have them drop it immediately or if I see it first, tell them to leave it.... so instead during a walk we can step over a box of chicken nuggets and they wont even look at it, I can take my dogs to a random strangers house and show them an invisible barrier (IE my kitchen has a invisible line, when I am cooking, all dogs must be behind the line) I simply go to the off limits place and tell them no and make a cut off sign with my hand.... such as at my BFs parents house... they free feed their dogs so food is down 24-7 in one of the bedrooms... I showed my dogs the barrier and they wont cross it... even though there is a bowl of dog food less then a foot away
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

lol very nice :) I have different methods for different dogs. An unknown dog, I would never ever do Ceasar's way x.x too many things could go wrong. or how about that abused Rottweiler, who slipped out of his collar (people their necks are actually SMALL >< ), and since he was a guard dog, and actually rather vicious no one did anything. 'Cept of course, I kneeled and let him come to me, and he put his chin in my hand after belly crawling to me ;( he was co-owned. and had a nasty slice across his nose. It's all in the owners :) just because a breed is stronger... doesn't mean someone's "sweet lil' pomeranian" cannot be a mean little engine
Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #24 
LittleBettas

Lol, exactly... every dog IS different, but I've been around dogs my whole life, both family pets, neighbors, everyday strays, and of course volunteering and fostering.... IMO positive training works for ALL dogs, it may take longer with some dogs, but honestly, if you dont have the time and patience for that, you really shouldnt have a dog, I know "Dominant training" CAN work, and once upon a time my family used that method, but sometimes you gotta modernize, positive training focus on communication, all dogs, regardless of breed or temperament, CAN communicate with people, even HA dogs or feral dogs... they WANT to communicate with people, its more or less what they are bred for (Border Collies are bred for herding yes... but they are bred for communicating with people to get a job done) Im good enough at reading dogs that I can walk in a dog pen with a dog I have never met before and have the dog evaluated in less than 5 minutes.... I've been criticized for this... because I have walked into the pens of a feral dog and said "don't euthanize him, he will come around" or with a HA or DA dog and said the same thing... and in BOTH cases, once I had the dog out of the shelter, compete turn around, I dont do dominance training because I work with dogs that 9 times out of 10 NO ONE knows anything about them, I firgure it out, I evaluate and begin working with them, I own a "feral" dog, an aggressive dog, and a bully breed.... no such thing as a dog who can be trained, I trained ALL with positive training, I rarely use treats once a dog is over a year old unless its a special case (ie feral dogs... fast way to get a feraly dog to trust you, spread diced hot dogs around you and lay down and read a book out loud ;) )

Lol "ust because a breed is stronger... doesn't mean someone's "sweet lil' pomeranian" cannot be a mean little engine"

Are you talking about my Pom ;) she is DA and HA... and people don't realize that, they are greeted by a almost 70 pound pitbull.... but they want to pet the little dog... I have signs around my apartment
"Pitbull LOOKS mean but little one will bite" and "WARNING: Pomeranian is temperamental, do not touch, look at or feed, please pet the pitbull"
People have an image of dogs, big dogs, especially bully breeds are deemed "mean" while little dogs... especially ones with lots of fur, are thought of as cute... I've actually had people who, after being bitten by my pom or a small dog I was working with go "its no big deal he/she is to tiny and so CUTE"... they would be singing a different tune if my pitbull or a large dog bit them, a dog bite is a dog bite, a lot of the statistics LOOK bad... because no one reports little dog bites.... I know Im guilty, I have never reported a dog bite and I never will (dogs that have bitten me) but I DO take responsibility when my pom bites someone.... not that I need to, the signs are up to warn people, and legally, as long as there is a warning, Im good

Sorry for the rant... Im tired and annoyed, had a nice conversation with someone about BSL and why its wrong, to many people jump to the conclusion that bully breeds are aggressive by nature...
Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #25 
Sena Hansler

haha rant on I wanted so bad to report the owner(s) of that rottie. Not only did they lack proper restraints for the dog, but he was running loose, and after instead of getting a better colar they put the chain with a lock around his neck. -.- poor doggie. But, if I reported them, and say they took the dog away.. he'd never find a home and would be put down. Why? he was abused. and is scared. and will hurt someone. cannot be with kids, other dogs, yadah yadah. And many a-time have I been told, rottweilers after the age of 2-3 CANNOT BE TRAINED.

I want to now go out, find a pound rottweiler, who is over 3, and train him/her. because I disbelieve it. any dog, has their ways set. but "just cuz rotties are stubborn" isn't a real reason to me.

And I have never been bitten by a bigger dog. One attempt by an escapee american eskimo guard dog. But I was 9, happened to be carrying a stick and swatted his nose in instinctual reaction x.x all been little dogs who bit me D:

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-20-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #26 
LittleBettas

Psht, lol, one of my favorite dogs I have worked with was a 5 year old rottie (papered) named Sampson.... I LOVE rotties, they are the lugs of the dog world (and I mean that in the most LOVING way) lol

Volunteering in a shelter, I have been bitten my almost every dog breed known to man.... except a pitbull... was bitten by a rottie while putting him in a pen (didn't know he had hip displasia.... he didnt break the skin, it was a warning bite) but even then..,.. I've picked up a pitbull that had been stabbed and shot and was licked in the face... but your right, I've been bitten by more small dogs then large dogs.... big dogs are my preference, they are SO much easier to work with and people take training them more seriously
Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #27 
Sena Hansler

that's what I have noticed. watching my mom train "train" her dogs.... beagle basset, she is firm. her little lahasa apso who is like one of those rebellious teenagers you see in movies, she is all baby talk. GAAAHHH lol
Old 12-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #28 
LittleBettas

Lol, my roommate has a pitbull, a rescue I pulled to prevent from being euthanized who he fell in love with.... first dog for him, but he has him pretty well trained (helps that the dog is COMPLETELY mellow in in LOVE with my roommate, lol)
he babysat a little shihtzu for a friend last night... OH MY... AWFUL dog, lmao, 5 pounds of destruction, the thing pees on everything ate 3 DVDs (including a brand new one that was a holiday gift waiting to be wrapped) and tore my roses up and one of my dog beds... the owner comes to pick him up and is like AW my poor baby was sad

WTF, lmao
Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #29 
Sena Hansler

sad my butt LOL I know... people think it is the dog that is at fault.

nah. it's the owner. like a child (as people treat the dogs like children) they learn from who? who they are around. they are around their owners, they learn what they can get away with
Old 12-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #30 
LittleBettas

Exactly, lol, people ask me if I treat my dogs like they my children... yes... but not in the way your thinking.... they have rules and they must listen to me... I feed them clean up after them... and love them unconditionally... just like you would do with a child :)
LMAO
but yeah, dogs are smarter than people realize, they know what you expect of you... and they will test you to see how much those boundaries can be stretched