Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #91 
purplemuffin

I'd say the same. The only thing is, if you wanted to use UVB bulbs, you couldn't. It's honestly sort of argued both ways--some people only use UVB on sick frogs anyway, some don't think it's required at all (since they spend 99% of the time underground)

I just felt I'd mention the UVB debate because it's part of the care and all. An albino is perfect and wonderful. :) and cute!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #92 
LyzzaRyzz

My new clawed frog...

Tank said Dwarf, but what a surprise, it was labeled wrong!

Told her apart by her toes, and My tank plans have changed, seeing how big shell get! Her future tank is pictures, though shes in a QT bowl right now, then moving to a 2.5 while i get the 39gal ready!

Im going to get 2 more froggies and a bristlenose pleco..
Attached Images

LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #93 
NoahG

I just read straight through this thread from the first post to last -- came across it, actually, when seeing if Chinese Water Dragons had ever been mentioned/discussed on this site.

Currently I have neither reptiles nor amphibians, but when younger my brother and I would catch and keep frogs and toads. Usually the toads would end up being let go after a bit because they were harder to get to eat than frogs; sometimes we'd take them in the yard for them to eat and then bring them back and would let them go if that either didn't work or in time for them to prepare for winter. I think we saw one of them again a year later or something (he had a distinct head). We used to have a Green Frog, however, who was the coolest frog ever, and such an easier keeper: he'd eat anything. Had him for a while, but unfortunately while we were on vacation he escaped on the pet sitter...he was later found downstairs, dried out.

I plan to someday have another Green Frog.

We've had a number of reptiles as well. A family Ball Python who sadly escaped when our older brother didn't secure the lid, hid in the attic entrance, and died from hypothermia. I've had Anoles and a Schneider's Skink, and we had Iguanas at one point.

I'm planning to try some African Dwarf Frogs with my fish, but that's the only immediate plans for any herps.

Eventually, however, I would like some lizards and perhaps a snake again. I'd like a Black and White Tegu someday, and after working in pet care this past Friday I've become interested in CWDs as well. The two we got in were really neat. I ended up just carrying them from the quarantine room to their habitat and that made me really miss having lizards...

What I've wanted for years, however, and I guess you could say is my dream reptile is a Savannah Monitor.

I also think I'd like to have another Schneider's Skink. I'll probably just build my own habitats for them all, but given their size and whatnot I'll probably wait until I own my own house. Definitely for the Savannah Monitor, I think. In the meantime I'll research and prepare.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #94 
kfryman

Would I need a UVB bulb for the fire bellies?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #95 
willow

interesting talk about UV lighting for frogs,as i have
just placed a UV on top of the frog tank,and they seem to
be quite at home with it on,they have plenty of places to get away
from it,should they want to......i have one particular frog that used to
sit on top of the thermometer,not the probe but the other bit,which gets
loads of natural light through the window,however since putting the
Uv on,it's moved and sits between two leaves,
do you think i should not put it on,they would get UV naturally in the wild
and i thought i was giving them a beneficial extra.. ?
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #96 
purplemuffin

UVB doesn't hurt--as long as you don't get too strong of a bulb or the animal isn't albino or sensitive. Pay attention to how they react--if they hide more, blink more, etc. No UVB gets through windows, so the frogs wouldn't be recieving any from that anyway.

Most animals that are nocturnal do not get UVB anyway and do not get any benefits from it (their body just wasn't made to absorb it as much that way) though often vets will suggest 2-4 hours a day of small UVB doses if an animal is sick. My vet suggested that for our leopard gecko to help her heal faster. Whether or not it helped, we don't really know. As long as it wasn't over board(like a huge UVB bulb or on for too long) than it's fine and no different than the wild.

Firebelly frogs don't appear to get any benefits from UVB lighting from what I've read! I think they just are even less likely to experience a lot of strong sunlight where they are and due to their nocturnal behaviors.

Some animals look extremely nice under a UVB bulb. For instance, brazilian rainbow boas and pacman frogs show their BEST colors under these lights. Just like a betta with natural light, they just look their best. But if I were to use UVB with a BRB or some other animal like that it wouldn't be an all day thing, nor would it be an extremely powerful bulb--being nocturnal these animals enjoy darkness more anyway, so the bright lights can frighten them.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #97 
kfryman

Oh okay so just a heat lamp, that is good lless money I will have to spend. I think before I get them I will get a roach colony going. My mom actually will allow me to have the roaches. I told her all the benefits and how they can't survive out of their habitat. I really can't wait, I just have to get my sister moved out.

The tank is 20g so how many can I have again? I will just get how many I think I can supply with the roaches and not have to worry about not enough food. Is it better to just have a plexiglass piece sloped or straight down going into the water?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #98 
nel3

i dont ever think my brother would make a good pet owner if the animal isnt a cat or a dog. he's a "its just a (insert animal)" person. he thinks im crzy for having 4 betta and he thinks im even crazier for getting a scale to weight my crestie. lol he said that a physical/visual inspection is sufficient to determine a lizard's weight ie gain or loss. he thinks just getting a scale is overboard even when the crested doesnt even need the full 9 yards for traditional reptile equipement others need.

i dont think i'll talk animals with him (aside from dogs and cats), he's too dense/ignorant to basic equipement for any sort of animal.

im also setting up a DIY cricket box. the tiny KK with cricket channels is priced at $19 at a LPS/LRS. i just got a plastic container, clear plastic tube, electric tape and crafting mesh to build it. i'll drill holes for ventilation and a large one to put the tube in. im also looking for PVC tubing to make a reusable hiding spot for the gecko. got one thats 1' interior but its nearly the width of the crestie's head atm.

Last edited by nel3; 01-08-2012 at 08:39 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #99 
kfryman

I would love to see it when it is done. I know that feeling too. Thats what my sister and most of my family thinks. They only really have feelings for things that they can play with and interact, like dogs and cats.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #100 
nel3

ive made progess on my gecko today. its been atleast 2 weeks since i got him and i finally handled him for a good amount of time. got 15 minutes in before deciding to put him back in the KK. i dropped by home depot and got 1 1/2 PVC pipe for a hiding hole. cost me $5 for a 3-5ft length but i dont have to worry about tossing it when it gets too dirty. im running out of paper towel rolls too fast. they only last a week before unglueing, even the current one is done for. sven was surprisingly calm but not hyperactive. he walked a good amount when i was walking but could stay still at times, he only jumped twice. did manage to weight him, not 100% sure it accurate but he may be 9g or 7g. the scale i got is touchy, its slightly smaller than an IPAD and about the same thickness.

the DIY criket box isnt complet yet but 80% is done. the container i got for 69c at canadian tire (general store/hardware store). the tubing i got for free, had that tubing already, it'll be a tight fit if the cricket fits in. i have yet to cricket test it. if it needs to be bigger then its no issue. electric tape is wrapped on the tube to create a dark space. the larger lid is drilled out and sections cut out for better ventilation. the same will be done to the smaller lid (AQ sealant and crafting mesh). i'll seal the hole in the box with 2 layers of crafting mesh. one layer directly on the surface to cover the hole and the second will be doubled out to make a 2nd seal. i cant seal the tube so it'll be removed when the cricket enters. the plastic container was surprisingly brittle, doesnt look 100% esthetic but it should work well.

Last edited by nel3; 01-10-2012 at 12:10 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote