Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #121 
nel3

thank you, i think crickets will survive this misting. there are some water spots but they have high ground ie egg carton to sit on. i'll certainly go look for cricket feed. i have 2 cricket containers, one tiny KK and a 1L container. not sure how many i can keep in both of them.

its no big loss for me if they all die off. i only paid for 6 of them and he just put a pinch of crickets in there ie 17.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #122 
NoahG

Yea, I suppose I just don't have much faith in their intelligence, haha. I've seen a good deal of crickets that...weren't too bright.

I'm not sure how many you could keep either -- I have one of those Keepers designed specifically for crickets (a small one, about the size of a regular small Keeper I believe, but it could be mini-sized) and it says it holds up to 30 medium crickets. If that helps at all.

I forgot you had only paid for six, haha, I had only paid for three when I last bought crickets -- the four I mentioned were the extras. Sounds like he was more generous than my co-worker was to me.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #123 
nel3

i dont doubt their intelligence. that shop is pretty accurate with their info. putting the usual merchandise pitch for reptiles. those sneaky (censored) wanted me to get a UVB light for my gecko. didnt fall for it. im not too surprised, every business still wants to maximise profit. im glad i got 17 crickets for that price though im unsure of how many will survive to feeding day. i hope the 6 left will survive. atm the crickets are the only thing i'll purchase there, maybe a 10-20g tank, their prices are good for bare tanks and metal screen mesh tank covers.

not sure if i'll got to the shop again for crickets (bit off the beaten path), theres another with 10g tank of crickets and its closer. i wonder how generous they'll be.
i think the small KK + crickets seem to be more like bettas in wine glasses. i dont think i can put more than 10 in there. they still climb on top of others. usually theyre kept in 10g tanks at the store.

Last edited by nel3; 01-14-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #124 
kfryman

For food if you have cats or dogs, crushed up dog food or cat food is very good for food. Also give them fruit and veggies. You need them to have water, they need access to water 24/7, a sponge works very good, just make sure it is always wet, put it in a bowl or something too so water doesn't get everywhere.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #125 
nel3

thank you very much. i think we still have some dry cat food from last winter when we took care of a kitten from an abandoned domestic blk cat (*curses the bad owner*). the cat moved on to other pastures ie more generous neighbors. i'll look for some container lid that may fit for the water. i could try a gatorade cap.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #126 
NoahG

nel3: Haha, I meant the intelligence of the crickets. As for space, I honestly don't know for crickets except that they need to be able to stand on something that's not another cricket (hence the cardboard).

kfryman: I honestly hadn't known before your post that they could be fed dry dog food -- I always have that, and high protein, no-filler dog food at that. I'll have to remember that the next time I buy a few crickets.

Man, I'm really getting an itch for a lizard or a snake lately...
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #127 
PaintingPintos

VERY nice animals here :D I'm hoping to get a reptile, amphibian, or more fish for my birthday. Woohoo! It'll be one of these if I will adopt one, but maybe I'll fall in love with something else...
Fire-bellied newt
Pacman frog
Fire-bellied toad
Paddle-tail newt
Guppies (♥w♥)
White's tree frog
Eastern red-spotted newt
Axolotl (not happening, but I still want one)
Fire Salamnder
Spotted Salamander
American Toad
Another Bettta to split a 2.5 gallon tank :)
The list could go on...lol My parents at least don't mind having frogs in the house. They seem to like them (thank God). I caught a teeny tiny spring peeper one year and I kept it overnight, and I woke up at midnight to the little guy screeching and calling through the hallway... what a rude awakening. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep him because a.) he was wild (he was relaxed enough to call, but parasites could kill him) and b.) I couldn't find anything tiny enough for him to eat without ordering it!
I've had American Toads I caught from my cousin's house, too. There was a random population explosion a few years back so I caught one and took it home. She was about 1 1/2 inches long and I kept her in a kritter keeper for a few days, feeding her on these little inchworms I found, until they disappeared rfom the yard and I let her go by the anthills by our pool (she feasted). Now I'm done with my pointless stories. You may go back to your life.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #128 
kfryman

Paintingpintos I wouldn't suggest splitting a 2.5th tank, there isn't very much room in a divided 2.5g. Maybe you could divide a 5g.

Yeah I was watching a lot of videos how to breed crickets and the people would use cat food or dog food, just saying cat food is better because there is way more protein, but yeah I use to keep crickets for a bearded dragon.

Anyone know where to get dubia roaches?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #129 
diablo13

You guys are really making want a reptile.....I saw the cutest Albino Checkered Garter Snake today. Are they easy to care for?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #130 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo13 View Post
You guys are really making want a reptile.....I saw the cutest Albino Checkered Garter Snake today. Are they easy to care for?
lol, join the club. i never had a reptile pet on the list until i saw some crested geckoes in this thread.