Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #131 
willow

bert is in brumation right now,and i've made a couple of changes
whiles he's asleep,the other dragon in the last picture was re-homed,
and bert lives by himself in a 4x2x2 viv.
the first picture is my leopard gecko(spotty,named by my grandson)
this next picture is of both dragons when they were little,before the
seperation.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #132 
NoahG

Willow, I've heard that Beardies get "lazy" once they reach adulthood: is that true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Yeah I was watching a lot of videos how to breed crickets and the people would use cat food or dog food, just saying cat food is better because there is way more protein, but yeah I use to keep crickets for a bearded dragon.
Typically, yea, cat food has a lot more protein than the average dog food. My dog does best on a high protein diet though and the food she's on at the moment has more protein than a lot of cat foods; the food she does best on has has even more protein (a higher percentage than all but one, maybe two, types of cat food, including kitten food, that I'm aware of). Better yet: high quality ingredients and no fillers.

Not sure how much my dog's going to appreciate having to share her food with crickets though.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #133 
willow

i think so,Bert doesn't really get excited about anything,
only one time when i took him out into the garden,and a bird flew over us
high in the sky,but still frightened him enough that he ran off
into the undergrowth. apart from that he;s happy to sit in his bath
or watch TV with me.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #134 
NoahG

Haha, thanks, I actually used to want a Beardie until I heard they got lazy -- I kind of like my reptiles more active is the thing.

The herp itch is still going strong for me. We got new Chinese Water Dragons in at work and these three are bolder/more sociable than we usually get in: they were hanging out in the open, watching people, and not running to hide when you looked in on them. What's more, there's a guy on my local Craigslist selling a couple of corn snakes and their 30-gallon and everything (I believe) for $150 or best offer.

*Sighs* If only...not sure I can get a reptile though.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #135 
nel3

ive managed to get a final terrarium for my gecko on kijiji. $60 for a used 1yr old 18 18 18 (25g) exoterra with plastic frame and metal mesh top. it came with a 1ft and change (in 3 directions) wood stump and heat lamp. ive done the primary cleaning and leak testing now. still some work to do prep it for the gecko (9grams). theres probably some resealing to do for the bottom seal (just in case). its in 90% new condition given you consider some minor heat melt on the top screen support in a 1.5inch length.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #136 
NoahG

Wow...nice find!

Last I knew there wasn't a Kijiji for my area, but I've been seeing a lot of nice finds on there lately...I may just have to look again.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #137 
nel3

theres a bit of prep work to be done on it but it should turn out just fine when he gets heavy enough to fit the tank.
atm its leak testing and bleach washing. got to wash the wood stump also. dont mind the patches on the bottom of the tank,
its old duct tape from previous owner's use on the exterior bottom.
im surprised i also got a good peice of wood to come with the tank.

Last edited by nel3; 01-16-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #138 
NoahG

Wow, I'm loving that wood piece you got there.

I've been spending the last hour or so looking up information for Corn Snakes...I had looked into them before, and they're a snake I've considered. Which is why I get an itch every time I see the ad from Craigslist (doesn't help I like to torture myself and test my willpower by keep ads that catch my attention open). Doesn't help that I know, if they do come with their habitat and stuff, that $150 is a steal even if I do buy additional things and/or replace some things.

Oi...my itch had been more for something with claws, but I love snakes, too.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #139 
nel3

my issue with the wood stump is how to dress it up with leaves. might just plop some fake leaves on top of it to create hiding spots below and above the fake plants. i'll probably put it off to the corner of the tank and use the long branch and the 1 1/2 PVC tube as branches. not sure on the foliage arrangement atm.

i wouldnt mind a snake either but the larger setup would have a hard time finding some real estate in my unit.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #140 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Woo! A herp thread :D Might be of use.
First: A funny photo of my snake, named Snake (yes, creative). It`s old, but how often do you see a snake do that? (well I've only seen it once)

:D

Second, I was looking into getting a few firebelly toads, and read that they need a a filter. So I thought an undergravel filter? Like, would this suffice? :s
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3B+Circulation
From keeping leopard frogs I caught in the past I get how messy amphibians can be, loll. This and some weird screen is the only thing petsmart has listed as an undergravel. Anyone have any clue?

Last edited by Olympia; 01-16-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Edit: Sorry did not realize how big the photo was :(
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote