Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #211 
nel3

very nice corn snake. a few weeks back id have said i didnt have the equipement for it ie heat lamp, 20g long tank. now id say i just dont have the space to put it on any sort of table. i only have room for a floor level tank and i dont think my parent would appreciate that much. i live by myself now but the usual snake paranoia exists. my gecko has taken up residence in the last spot on the desk. as i said before id love a yellow blotched pit viper but thats a bit too advance for me to seriously entertain.

do you know if garter snakes are venomous? wikipedia says they are mildly poisonous but the strength and delivery system (chewing) are far from idea.

Last edited by nel3; 02-04-2012 at 02:04 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #212 
purplemuffin

Garter snakes are rear fanged, but at most your finger will swell if they bite you. And thats if they can even get those rear fangs into you, they are in the BACK of their mouths, and they are small.

Garters are pretty good snakes, but imo a bit of a pain to start out with them as babies. They are too small for even pinky mice when they are born. So when feeding invertebrates and earth worms you have to be sure to add vitamins and calcium and such and provide a lot of variety. Others will argue that it is still pretty simple to feed them, I just never felt like dealing with slicing up food for them, lol! But they are very easy snakes compared to many, and quite a few fun colors to choose from.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #213 
kfryman

Hey purplemuffin I have a question, what is wrong when a ball python always has bad sheds? My sister has one, just saying she shouldn't have pets, but she has two dogs and a ball python from her ex. The problem with her, she doesn't know squat and doesn't like to research how to care for her pets.

I was thinking humidity but I am not very educated on ball pythons.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #214 
purplemuffin

Ball pythons need a fair bit of humidity. Screen lids in aquarium allow almost all the humidity to go out of the tank. Good ways to improve humidity is to color most of the lid and to move the water bowl to the warm end of the tank. The evaporation will help improve humidity. :)
Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #215 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Garter snakes are rear fanged, but at most your finger will swell if they bite you. And thats if they can even get those rear fangs into you, they are in the BACK of their mouths, and they are small.

Garters are pretty good snakes, but imo a bit of a pain to start out with them as babies. They are too small for even pinky mice when they are born. So when feeding invertebrates and earth worms you have to be sure to add vitamins and calcium and such and provide a lot of variety. Others will argue that it is still pretty simple to feed them, I just never felt like dealing with slicing up food for them, lol! But they are very easy snakes compared to many, and quite a few fun colors to choose from.
snakes are always amazing me as to what they have adapted to. until yesterday i believed they were venomless. ive held garter once in the park, smelled pretty bad from living in a municipal park. i was always interested in snakes when i was young. theres a stone construction bbq at our campsite which the garters love basking on. i always checked and looked for garters there.

Last edited by nel3; 02-04-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #216 
purplemuffin

Probably was actually the garter 'musking'.. They will release a foul odor to get you to put them down! Also sometimes makes them poop on you, it's gross. All snakes can musk, but wild ones and certain species(colubrids) are more prone!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #217 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Probably was actually the garter 'musking'.. They will release a foul odor to get you to put them down! Also sometimes makes them poop on you, it's gross. All snakes can musk, but wild ones and certain species(colubrids) are more prone!
that dirty little snake, he was rather calm either way. i actually liked holding him had he not decided to musk. im not good at catching them but i did catch him like one would for a cobra ie pin the head with a stick them grab behind the head.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #218 
purplemuffin

:) Heehee, they are little tricksters. He may have seemed calm, but he was probably very scared, imagine you were as small as he and a giant pinned you down! Woah! I'd probably pee myself too! Hahaha! But the amazing thing is with taming and being in captivity they learn a lot of trust and are much calmer. I've never been musked on by any of my pet snakes. But boy those wild ones! Heheheh!

We have more smooth brown snakes here than garters. We always see tiny babies. They look like earth worms! These are sort of bigger ones.

SO tiny! And cute.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #219 
nel3

i saw a nice young corn snake at an LPS its an albino but its $100. its was about 1.5 times longer than that baby brown snake.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #220 
purplemuffin

That's a ridiculous price. Albino corn snakes should be like, 30 dollars. Pet stores way over charge for reptiles!