Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #21 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
I love mealworms as a feeder. They don't smell, they aren't messy, they don't carry parasites or disease easily. They will pupate (turn into beetles) if you leave them long enough, but I'm currently trying to get a few to pupate so I can hatch my own, and its taking weeks to get them to turn. So I wouldn't be worried about them turning into beetles too much.
Warm them up! They will pupate right away with a little more heat. We have a colony in a room that's about 83-85 degrees. They just go crazy for it. And I can tell you--the more moisture (aka fruits and veggies) you give them, the FASTER the babies grow. We were lazy with our first few batches..they took MONTHS..now we feed them more veggies and you just blink and more feeder sized mealies have appeared! :)

I'm on a couple forums. herpcenter.com is the one that deals with a lot of medical stuff, and I appreciate their slightly stricter views on certain issues that other forums tend to look over(like putting sand in leopard gecko tanks, or worse, calcium sand), ball-pythons.net is another one, and though sometimes I think they are a bit lazy in certain areas of care and are a bit leaning more towards just focusing on breeders, there are some incredible ball python pictures during breeding season! Cool to see the new morphs. I also lurk on faunaclassifieds in order to see the BOI, a place to check out the good guys and bad guys selling animals, so I don't end up getting scammed by a crook or buying a sick animal! There are a few others, but those are really the main ones.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #22 
ChelseaK

AHH! I love your Crestie pictures! Mine are all still babies yet... Here are a few pictures.

Meet Frog! She is bigger than this now. Actually I don't even know if shes a girl or not yet, still too young, but for now she's a girl. Her sister, Not-Frog (Nottie for short) is a bit darker than her. Theya re the two oldest ones, born in August I believe.

One of the babies fired up. She can go from almost white to this color. I bought these babies just a month back or so.

This is what I call my "Crestie Keeper" Made it myself, obviously haha. It houses my three babies right now. They are probably just about 2 months old. So I have 5 Cresites right now. I love them, definitely my favorite herp!

I also have two Leos, both girls, Opossum and Houdini. I realized just now that I don't have any recent pictures of them, but I will post when I do!

I also have a colony of Dubia roaches for feeding, but I don't consider them pets, all though my friend that I bought them from LOVES her roaches! Haha

Last edited by ChelseaK; 12-12-2011 at 04:03 PM.
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #23 
nel3

just how expensive can reptile keeping be? i myself dont mind getting a snake or a lizard. id love a blue tounged skink but they're hard to find or a bit pricy. snakes and geckos are a posibility if they're priced right. atm im looking more at small lizard species.

i havent the largest betta collection but 4 betta to take up most of the real estate to put any reptile habitat/cage where i live.

Last edited by nel3; 12-17-2011 at 10:05 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #24 
kathstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
just how expensive can reptile keeping be? i myself dont mind getting a snake or a lizard. id love a blue tounged skink but they're hard to find or a bit pricy. snakes and geckos are a posibility if they're priced right. atm im looking more at small lizard species.

i havent the largest betta collection but 4 betta to take up most of the real estate to put any reptile habitat/cage where i live.
It depends on the species really, and there are ways you can cut costs on some species.

For example, leopard geckos I've been cutting costs, by starting my own feeder farm. This way I don't have to purchase food, I breed it all myself. I also use heat wire to heat multiple tanks instead of heat pads (Heat pad= $30.00 to heat ONE tank. heat wire= $20.00 to heat multiple tanks).
Crested geckos you can't really cut cost food wise because you NEED to feed them a special crested gecko meal replacement diet.
Snakes are fairly cheap as you generally feed them once a week.
Blue tongue skinks are more expensive as you need to feed fresh food (like veggies), along with insects/meat.
You can make hides instead of buying them. I make hides out of tupperware containers with holes cut in them, instead of buying a bunch of $12.00 each hides.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #25 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
It depends on the species really, and there are ways you can cut costs on some species.

For example, leopard geckos I've been cutting costs, by starting my own feeder farm. This way I don't have to purchase food, I breed it all myself. I also use heat wire to heat multiple tanks instead of heat pads (Heat pad= $30.00 to heat ONE tank. heat wire= $20.00 to heat multiple tanks).
Crested geckos you can't really cut cost food wise because you NEED to feed them a special crested gecko meal replacement diet.
Snakes are fairly cheap as you generally feed them once a week.
Blue tongue skinks are more expensive as you need to feed fresh food (like veggies), along with insects/meat.
You can make hides instead of buying them. I make hides out of tupperware containers with holes cut in them, instead of buying a bunch of $12.00 each hides.
thank you very much what are the pros and cons of leopard geckoes and some smaller snakes regarding food stock/breeders, cage sizes/unkeep and general care?

i dont mind snakes. they do have advantages for food requirements but cage sizes as they grow is a concern depending on species. small lizards/geckoes are nice because they dont grow too big but are more active and need more food. both animals are nice but lizards are damn cute at times. lol, if my brother didnt get that VT and my betta sickness id probably have little issue for reptile enclosures.

the place i live in is 750 cubic ft. so far any potential spaces are the top of a dresser, room for a 10g tank on a desk that already has a 2.7KK. maybe a kitchen table, that doesnt leave me much space. i can see a snake go on the dresser but not much space for a breeder cage if i chose lizards or a snake. electric outlets are a bit limited/occupied in those 2 areas. are there ways to make it possible with such limited space?
Old 12-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #26 
ChelseaK

I feel that the cresties are the way to go when you're in a money pinch and want something small. They don't have any special heating or lighting requirements. They don't eat a whole lot ( 2 of mine eat a quarter sized drop of their food every 36 hours), and the do like crickets every once in awhile as well as fresh fruit. You can make their habitats fairly simply and the just need to be kept a bit moist.
All in all if youre looking for a starter reptile, go for the crested gecko. And dont buy from a pet store, try to find a private breeder. They WAY over charge at pet stores and they aren't as well handled. The key to keeping them friendly is to handle them almost everyday for at least 15 minutes and they hat doesn't realistically happen at chain pet stores.
I have 5 cresties, 2 of them I got for $30 each and 3 for $20 each. I bought my bag of food in August and it's not even half gone, one of the cages I bought for $30 and the other container cost $5. The decorations I bought from walmart, each fake plant was $1 and I bought 3. I bought natural moss and eco earth each costing about $5 bucks. Thats just an idea of the kinds of initial costs you could have.

I'm don't rambling, haha, obviously I'm and advocate for the cresties :)
Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #27 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaK View Post
I feel that the cresties are the way to go when you're in a money pinch and want something small. They don't have any special heating or lighting requirements. They don't eat a whole lot ( 2 of mine eat a quarter sized drop of their food every 36 hours), and the do like crickets every once in awhile as well as fresh fruit. You can make their habitats fairly simply and the just need to be kept a bit moist.
All in all if youre looking for a starter reptile, go for the crested gecko. And dont buy from a pet store, try to find a private breeder. They WAY over charge at pet stores and they aren't as well handled. The key to keeping them friendly is to handle them almost everyday for at least 15 minutes and they hat doesn't realistically happen at chain pet stores.
I have 5 cresties, 2 of them I got for $30 each and 3 for $20 each. I bought my bag of food in August and it's not even half gone, one of the cages I bought for $30 and the other container cost $5. The decorations I bought from walmart, each fake plant was $1 and I bought 3. I bought natural moss and eco earth each costing about $5 bucks. Thats just an idea of the kinds of initial costs you could have.

I'm don't rambling, haha, obviously I'm and advocate for the cresties :)
thank you CheseaK. the shop i saw most of the geckoes had them from $90-$150. leopards were going $50 at the time. money is one of my issues but its mostly the space to house the lizard/snake. i have no idea on cage sizes. i saw large tarantual cages with 2 swing doors minimum $80 at the same shop. i wouldnt know a crestie or reptile breeder nearby atm. im a total stranger to reptile keeping and wouldnt know the specific requirements. i had 2 turtles 15 years ago when i was young but that lasted 4 years and my parents one the ones that did the work for it. i know a shallow water bowl, a heating lamp with a rock, some decor and wood shavings are necessary. would a 2.7g KK be too little for any lizard? its 73-77 in my unit depending on the time of day. just how big can they get?

i dont really mind you rambling on about cresties, they're so darn cute that i cant blame anyone for doing so. it'll be a bit higher starting price for a possible lizard for me here, Canada has higher prices than USA for the same items.

Last edited by nel3; 12-18-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #28 
ChelseaK

Those prices seem pretty high for a pet store, but then again, I don't know canda prices too well. I would try just a search for some local breeders. I was surprised at how many there are in my area, you may be surprised as well! If you decide on cresties, let me know I can definitely help you find the cheapest solutions possible! Just send me a PM
Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #29 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaK View Post
Those prices seem pretty high for a pet store, but then again, I don't know canda prices too well. I would try just a search for some local breeders. I was surprised at how many there are in my area, you may be surprised as well! If you decide on cresties, let me know I can definitely help you find the cheapest solutions possible! Just send me a PM
thank you very much Chelseak, ive seen some youtube vids for cresties and an local breeder but not sure on prices. the prices are on par or slightly lower. the pet store prices did include prices for leopards, blizzards and crested.
http://www.bogecko.ca/available.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jXv18p9TGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgRuyOWs2SQ
the youtube vid has the gecko in the KK, not sure of the size. the second vid is a gargoyle but the habitat is pretty much DIY which i wouldnt mind much if i given a choice. is a heat lamp needed? whats the situation for lighting setup? cheapest gecko on that site is $60-70. whats a good starter habitat size for the size of a specimen? that'll give me a good idea on what/where i can fit in my unit for a gecko.

i'll have to look around at shops for geckoes and habitat ideas before deciding on getting one first to see if i can fit in anywhere in my unit. gargoyles seem possible for avoiding live food but i cant guarantee an higher room temp if they need to stay 78-80 F. ive done that for my betta .5g unheated in the summer, didnt mind it for the short run but dont fancy it for the long run.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #30 
purplemuffin

Cresteds won't need a heat lamp unless your house gets FREEZING. They like fairly comfortable room temperatures. :) I saw cresties at a convention today for 20 dollars, and some high end ones for over 100! All depends on color, pattern, age, and what most breeders are looking for.

If you go to a convention you'll find the cheapest prices as well as NO shipping--and getting to meet your guy in person.

I know people who keep their crested geckos in a 20 gallon tank turned on it's side. Other people even keep them in a tall sterilite tub. The size just needs to be appropriate to the gecko. They like to climb, but don't need a ridiculous amount of space. Those front opening cages are great, because it's easy to get to them without reaching over, but they are insanely expensive in pet stores. Sometimes people resell them for cheap(the 80 dollar front opening one in petsmart was 20 dollars at this show!)

Starter habitat size can be fairly small, they start out itty bitty as babies. You can also just buy their regular adult habitat from the start if you want. I might start mine out in a small tub on it's side with some fun decor and hides. Tubs are good for holding in humidity, which is your primary concern.

In general an adult needs the space of a 20 gallon tall(picture two ten gallons stacked on top of one another), but as babies you can start them out in a tub or ten gallon tank or something like that. They seem to thrive between the temps of 68-78, meaning many homes need no additional heat, other than the gecko maybe being in a warmer area of the house. Don't let them get above 85!

Crested gecko diet is CHEAP..I saw a huge bag of it for about 12 dollars. For a single gecko, that can last forever. Repashy is the best stuff. Best thing is they never NEED crickets, unless you want to give them to them as a treat!

They are cuuuute geckos. Almost bought one today. So close.

I'm actually interested in their much larger cousin, the "Leachie" gecko. EXPENSIVE...we're looking at 300 minimum for one of these guys(but a reptile breeder owes us money and can probably work out a trade with someone!)

What can we say...We like big, lol!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote