Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #301 
nel3

i have a question regarding both fish and reptiles. for my gecko terrarium im using the floating thermometers that i use for my fish. they work well though the problem is if dropped the glass breaks. ive dropped 2 so far, one a long time ago and just today. both times it was out of the tank/enclosure. i have a reptile hygrometer with felt pads to adhere but it was a problem when switching over to the 3.4kk -> 25g terrarium. the felt got ripped and needed aq silicon to adhere to the terrarium.

atm ive just put some aq silicon on the broken floating therm and im letting it dry. i wouldnt mind a normal therm for the gecko enclosure but id like something easy to remove. the felt pads are difficult to remove and id rather not get an electric therm as i prefer analogue. would aq silicon seal the floating therm properly and safely?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #302 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Considering aq silicon holds hundreds of pounds of water inside glass pretty well, I think it's a safe idea.
It might be difficult to remove the thermometer safely.
How did you break the thermometer? Did the liquid come out?
I broke one once... all the lead beads were everywhere.. luckily the tank wasn't yet filled.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #303 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Considering aq silicon holds hundreds of pounds of water inside glass pretty well, I think it's a safe idea.
It might be difficult to remove the thermometer safely.
How did you break the thermometer? Did the liquid come out?
I broke one once... all the lead beads were everywhere.. luckily the tank wasn't yet filled.
thank you Olympia. i know the exoterra therms work though i dont like the adhesion method for safely removing then quickly. i usually keep the flaoting therm 3 inches above the substrate so its minimal impact incase anything happens. both dropped onto the tiles of my bathroom losing the beads. i though i had adhered it properly to the sink (flat surface) but it wasnt enough. the red sealant held and lost its marbles/beads, neither of my broken floating therms lost the liquid. guess i'll keep the older one and reseal it.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #304 
purplemuffin

Aww, I'm glad this thread has survived while I've been gone!

I picked up a rescue the other day. A crested gecko. He was underfed, dehydrated, and has MBD. Poor guy. Hoping to bring him up to health soon.

You can see his messed up front right arm and how thin he is. Poor dear.

He's nearly two years old and only weighs 16 grams.

The first day I got him he was very unresponsive. If held he would just let his legs dangle to the side, he never lifted his body or head, just would lay there. Always looked dead, it was scary. I got him some repashy crested gecko diet and have been hand feeding him and he's starting to get his strength back. He lifts his head, he moves around the tank, and he responds to things around him now. He hasn't gained any weight yet, so we are taking him to the vet to get him all checked out.

In other news, I'm going into veterinary school soon, going to include a focus on exotics
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #305 
Cattitude

Poor little guy! He even *looks* sad! Hopefully his checkup at the vet's goes well and that he gets better fast under your care.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #306 
willow

well done you for taking him on.
hope he'll be ok.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #307 
betta lover1507

wow, i never liked gecko's but he looks so sad and cute X3
hopefully he gets well soon (or if it's she) even barely knowing about gecko's he does look out of shape. where did you find him?
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #308 
purplemuffin

He's definitely a boy, I can see that much.

My mom's friend wanted to get into reptiles, but she listened to the wrong people. Much like with betta fish, pet store employees generally give bad advice. This gecko was given pellet food(with no calcium in it) and was kept dry even though he needs 70-80% humidity.

Want to see sad? This is a sad picture.

Because of how dry he was kept his sticky pads have died(hopefully in a few sheds will come back) so he can't climb the glass or his enclosure decor like he should be able to. So he sits on his rear end at the bottom.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #309 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Omg he looks so sad and pathetic. :(
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #310 
willow

oh man that actually is really sad !
willow is offline   Reply With Quote