Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #371 
NoahG

Yea, given proper care they can live to about half of the lifespan of a Crestie -- I'm seeing 7-8 years compared to 15 or more. I may try some day to get some more Anoles and give them the proper care, I guess for the experience.

Yea, I like the faster, or at least more active, lizards myself; the Cresties at work are fast and they also jump a lot, but they're pretty young so I imagine that has a good deal to do with that. Anoles pretty much do that their entire lives (though I believe they slow down when they start getting old). Anoles can be hand-tamed (I did it with mine as a kid), but, as said, it seems it's not recommended to handle them very much.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #372 
LionCalie

I decided to name the boy I adopted off Craigslist Frodo.

He is doing very good! His eyes are no longer sunken from dehydration and he is steadily putting on weight. He spends a lot of time sleeping on the ground and doesn't jump around a lot because he has very little muscle. My guess is from poor nutrition and a very small tank.

Frodo on day 1

Frodo today - a few days later

Here is his enclosure

LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #373 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahG View Post
Yea, given proper care they can live to about half of the lifespan of a Crestie -- I'm seeing 7-8 years compared to 15 or more. I may try some day to get some more Anoles and give them the proper care, I guess for the experience.

Yea, I like the faster, or at least more active, lizards myself; the Cresties at work are fast and they also jump a lot, but they're pretty young so I imagine that has a good deal to do with that. Anoles pretty much do that their entire lives (though I believe they slow down when they start getting old). Anoles can be hand-tamed (I did it with mine as a kid), but, as said, it seems it's not recommended to handle them very much.
that makes sense, my brother's GF had Anoles many years ago. they lived 3-5 yrs old. i dont mind small lizards but the slightly larger or atleast medium sized are better. i wouldnt want any large lizard due to space requirements. i also prefer something which doesnt tend to have escaping from larger creatures 80% of the time. i did have a thing for blue tongued but that was when i was living with my parents. since ive been living alone ive had the chance to get the 2 CTs and gecko. id love another crestie but no space to put a proper tank, not even a 20g.

i got some crickets for my gecko 2 days ago, i bought 23, fed 6 right away and another 2 tonight. i got most of the adults fed but one noisy bugger remained. 1 day of full volume scrieching was enough as it was only 1 suspect for the time being. i got 10 left alive atm.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #374 
bettalover2000

Can Cresties live in a 10 gallon alone with a heat lamp? With decor & stuff of course.
The 10 gal. measurements are 20"L,x10"W,x12"H and has a screen lid. Thanks!

Last edited by bettalover2000; 05-23-2012 at 01:37 PM.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #375 
LionCalie

Crested Geckos are mostly arboreal, so they like tall enclosures rather than long ones. A 12 x 12 x 18 Exo Terra tank would be the minimum for 1 adult, but a 18 x 18 x 24 is preferred. Or a 20 gallon tall tank would be good.

Also, they fine at room temperatures 68 - 80 F, so for most people a heat lamp is not necessary.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #376 
bettalover2000

Well the tank is pretty tall, and there would be lots of climbing spots, I could lean it on it's side IF I got a gecko, but I would prefer not to have to. I may or may not get a reptile, I'm just curious.

Last edited by bettalover2000; 05-23-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #377 
copperarabian

fyi Petmsart is having their reptile sale right now, there ball pythons who are normally $70ish are like $35 now. other reptiles are on sale too but there tags were still being posted when I got off work. Lots of items are 30% off.

I really want my pastel lol, I decided to have her shipped to me instead of getting her on Sunday since I was busy XD it kinda sucks paying for express shipping for something that's only 103 miles away lol I would of spend almost as much money on gas anyway though.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #378 
Ethan

Lol I'm a little late to pick up on this...but anyhow

I have 2 anery het cornsnakes & 4 Veiled chameleons :D

Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #379 
LionCalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2000 View Post
Well the tank is pretty tall, and there would be lots of climbing spots, I could lean it on it's side IF I got a gecko, but I would prefer not to have to. I may or may not get a reptile, I'm just curious.
A 10 gallon is only 12 inches tall. I have little Frodo in one, but he will soon be upgraded to 12 x 12 x 18 Exo Terra at the smallest. My big adult crestie has an enclosure that is 28 inches tall and he spends most of his time at the top. If you do get a crestie, turning the 10 gallon on it's side would be good. They really do appreciate having height in their enclosure being mostly arboreal.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #380 
bettalover2000

Well if I got one I would keep the tank set up normal, then when the Crestie gets bigger, then maybe turn it on it's side OR maybe get a bigger tank. What tall tank do you (anyone) use? My tank has a screen top so it might be hard to keep substrate at the bottom because when I would open the screen to feed or handle the pet, I'd have the risk of substrate falling or the CG escaping. And I have cats so if it escaped it would most likely be eaten by a cat.
Does anyone's cat scare their CG? lol.