Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #31 
nel3

thank you Purplemuffin, i'll definetely look up some conventions and possible habitats. how would a 20g tank be oriented? i dont think i can find one that cheap here. i can definetely divide the tank in half with crafting mesh for the young stages of life and remove it when the gecko needs the full capacity. i'll certainly look at tubs i can use for a gecko.

ny unit does gets pretty warm in summer and im sure it breaks the 85F limit by a few degrees without AC on. i dont even have full control of my room temp. ive set the heat at 21c and the place stays 23-25C (winter) regardless of my setting. thats probably the biggest logistic problem, the general temp of the building is higher than i chose it. easy on electricity bills butnot so much on a reptile.

Last edited by nel3; 12-19-2011 at 09:13 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #32 
kathstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
thank you very much what are the pros and cons of leopard geckoes and some smaller snakes regarding food stock/breeders, cage sizes/unkeep and general care?

i dont mind snakes. they do have advantages for food requirements but cage sizes as they grow is a concern depending on species. small lizards/geckoes are nice because they dont grow too big but are more active and need more food. both animals are nice but lizards are damn cute at times. lol, if my brother didnt get that VT and my betta sickness id probably have little issue for reptile enclosures.

the place i live in is 750 cubic ft. so far any potential spaces are the top of a dresser, room for a 10g tank on a desk that already has a 2.7KK. maybe a kitchen table, that doesnt leave me much space. i can see a snake go on the dresser but not much space for a breeder cage if i chose lizards or a snake. electric outlets are a bit limited/occupied in those 2 areas. are there ways to make it possible with such limited space?
I personally LOVE leopard geckos. I have 5 and am going to be breeding them after New Years. I adore them all. They all have unique personalities, and quirks.

Leopard geckos are crepuscular, so they are most active at dawn and dusk. If you are home a lot during those times, then they are great, cause thats when you can play with them :P
Leopard geckos are pretty friendly. It does depend on the leo, but most I've met are pretty friendly. Mine come to the front of the glass when I go in my room, and climb up my arm as soon as I stick my hand in the tank. I think they learn to recognize people as well. Like my leos like me and my mom the best. :3
Cons, are they need live foods. They won't eat dead food. So you gotta keep live food constantly. You have to supplement their food with vitamins, so they get the proper nutrients as well. I can't really think of a lot of cons for leos lol. I guess them needing heat is a con as well. They need under tank heating, not above heating (they get their heat from their bellies).

I don't know a lot about snakes, but I've read corn snakes can live comfortably in a 10 gallon + size tank. I also THINK western hognoses can be kept in smaller tanks. And Kenyan Sand Boas. Not sure about other snakes. My mom won't let me have a snake lol

I definitely love the lizards! So friendly and fun! And people are more open to them, so if I ever needed a babysitter for them, I'd find one more readily for my lizards than I would for a snake. Just something to keep in mind if you go on vacation or anything. xD

Leos can live in a 10 gallon tank, but you would really need to utilize the space, by using two floors. 10 gallons may seem small for 1 leo once it gets older. But I've seen some people do pretty awesome stuff with a 10 gallon by creating multiple floors.

For your situation I would probably recommend the cresties, as they need taller tanks rather than long tanks, so a crestie tank would fit well on your dresser.

As said, a lot of people (including me) use storage bins for their cresties. Just make air holes. :) Works well, and holds humidity well for them, which is one of the main reasons I use a storage bin.

You live in Canada too, eh? :P
I got a lot of my reptiles at expos. I got Chester, my crestie, for $25.00 at the Ajax expo. And he wasn't even the cheapest one there. :P Expos are definitely the place to go for your reptiles. I find canadian pet stores seriously overcharge for their reptiles, and most aren't in good condition. Also check kijiji.ca, I got my two baby cresties off a breeder there for 2 for $30. I love buying stuff off kijiji :P
Here is the site to find out about the expos: http://www.reptileexpo.ca/
It will be updated after new years I think. I've been to 3 expos this year. I went to the CRBE, the Ajax expo and the kitchener expo. The CRBE is the biggest expo of the year, its HUGE. And the kitchener expo was pretty awesome as well. The ajax one was eh. LOL.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #33 
nel3

unfortunately my work schedule has me working from 4am-2pm 4 days a week. i do have days off but the schedule is a 2 week rotation of works days that repeats over again. i dont fancy keeping live food when possible so cresties or maybe a gargoyle work. as long as they can have live food once in a while i dont mind. i dont have much space for a 2nd cage or feeder habitat. had i not purchased a 4th betta that migtve been possible.

so far ive seen stuff in the $60-80+ range for both crestie and gargoyle. ive missed the expos as i didnt think of a pet lizard. there were 2 this october and november, next is april 2012. pinstripe, tiger, flame and chevron back are the ones i like better than the others i dont mind but as long as the price is right for any given pattern. i do like the oranges, reds and black pinstripes.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #34 
purplemuffin

The reason you are finding the higher priced geckos is partially because you are looking online. Generally people sell their 'high end' geckos online. Not many people want to pay 50 dollars in shipping for a 20 dollar animal, but are much more likely to for an 80 dollar animal! They sell the cheaper ones in person like expos or just from contacting them personally. :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #35 
nel3

count me hooked onto cresties. i dropped by an LPS to look at options. found a $150 15g glass terrarium and 1 $90 baby gecko 5 inches long. the employee was a previously a crestie breeder but stopped it. i did handle him a bit and now im just looking for a good deal for one + setup. i did decide against a black pin stripe, they are white at times. think i'll go for red/orange, i do prefer a bit more colour for a lizard.

how much would a good baby gecko cost when sold in person? i think i'll chose chevron back, fire, harlequin or a tiger back.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #36 
purplemuffin

Like I said, I've seen 20 dollar ones in person as well as 90 dollar ones! They all lighten at times, some get brighter than others--you can talk to the breeder about which ones stay the most colorful. :D they are pretty awesome! We already had a 20 gallon tall (same floorspace as a ten, but twice as tall) so that's what we plan to use for ours. We're going to get some driftwood and fake plants and use eco earth as the substrate when it gets older(just damp paper towels while it's a baby, easier to clean and check for parasites and all that!)

For our Leachie we plan on an almost all repashy diet, and will hopefully have a few snacks for variety--but these guys seem to be less likely to even try to hunt crickets, so we'll see. :D They are funnn~
Old 12-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #37 
nel3

i just need to find a breeder that has some decent priced lizard. found a 24x 15x18 terrarium for $75 on CG that isnt too far to inquire upon.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #38 
purplemuffin

Good luck!

Hmmm, check out all the local breeders, not just their websites--if you see one that is near you, like within driving distance, try sending them an email and see if they have anything a little more affordable that they just didn't post online, or if they know anyone near you who does have something. Most breeders don't post their cheaper animals online because they aren't as stunning as the others(hence why they are cheaper)

Faunaclassifieds sometimes has people from canada posting, though it mostly is american. You can post wanted ads though and people will sometimes get in touch with you. Posting around asking for people near by will usually get a few responses.

It can be a little difficult if you don't know people, but once you at least get to know one person near you who 'does' the reptile thing, that person can help you out and help you figure out who all lives near you! :D
Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #39 
nel3

i'll be contact one today or tommorow given the hours they may answer the phone. i was at work and one of my bosses (i work in a garage) mentioned giving some fish to afellow worker to replace the cocker spaniel he has as a joke. long story shor, a person that also repairs the trucks from time to time for certain problems owned fish. if it turns out in my favor i can get a aquarium thats atleast 15g. from the estimated size its probably a 20gal, didnt get exact dimensions but looks very promising. if he gets back the tank he wants ans his son doesnt plan to use the tank i'll get a chance to get it. its a traditional one with a fish tank hood, no mesh screen but if it goes well its not a problem for me. didnt give me a price, but $30-50 seems a reasonable price that may pop up. thats my best guess, as for proper second hand tank price, not too sure.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #40 
betta lover1507

i miss my baby girl "Hunter"

she was a ball python, not sure what morph
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote