Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #41 
4mb3rNich0l3

I currently have one Cockatiel and my bettas :). (not to mention my GROWING addiction to bettas by the way! Im getting 2 more boys and 2 more females haha) BUT I use to have Crested geckos and leopard geckos. Also a few pacman frogs too. But not anymore. Id love to get another crested gecko but my apartments only allow fish and birds :p(hence the reason I had to rehome my reptiles and frogs :(....)
4mb3rNich0l3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #42 
nel3

i only have to wait a few days to get my cresty. ive given up on finding lower priced geckoes, the prices are higher in general for Montreal (breeders included outside of expo dates). i cant do anything habitat-wise atm as i was visiting friends these past 2 days and the rest is store hours closed and boxing day. it'll be sometime around wednesday or thursday. just what do i need to transport a gecko 45 minutes by public transport? i have an empty .5g tank thats 8 3/4 inches long. can i use that with a cardboard tube for transportation?

i know where to get the supplies for the gecko. atm its between a large KK or a 10 gal. the breeder said a large KK will suit it for the next 3-4 months (its 7mth old and maybe 16 ounces??). not sure if i can jump to a 20gal after 3-4 mths. my place isnt very big so i dont have too much space for keeping spare tanks. not sure if i even have space to keep a 10gal in storage in the unit itself when i go up to 20g. i dont even know if the following KK link -> 20g tank ju,p would stress him out when the time comes. i'll get fine ground cocoa husk.

link to current tank for betta and possible gecko temp home for 3-4 months
http://www.amazon.fr/Terra-Standard-.../dp/B00025YVUI
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #43 
LittleBettas

I LOVE TURTLES!

Lmao, I actually got my girl Monty on an accident.... went by a friends house to find out her youngest daughter.... 15 sadly..... had a fully grown female (they thought male) box turtle in a 10 gallon tank tucked in the back of a bookcase.... the tank was lined with newspaper, had two empty dishes, crusted up poop, and a slightly molding cardboard box... poor thing was SO skinny, dehydrated, and of course,... STARVING
I would not have even known about her... except the "owner" came down and told me she had a turtle she hadn't fed for like 4 months... when I asked her why not... she said "he's boring"

So now, Monty is mine, she lives in a 20 long tank (for now) but I have dreams of upgrading her to either a turtle table... or if I ever have my own yard, a special area JUST for her <3
She's gained weight, she now is on a balanced diet with all organic food, she has top of the line substrate (coconut shavings and dried moss), top of the line bulbs (30 for a light that lasts about 4-5 months), and she has a little pool of water she can actually get into (which is mandatory for box turtles as it helps them go to the bathroom AND prevent their skin from getting dry)

Sweet potatoes (boiled and mashed) mixed with a bit of yogurt and meds (calcium)... from when I first got her, she had a slight calcium deficiency, she so no longer on meds :)

Monty eating broccoli (boiled) mixed with turtle food (smells AWEFUL, but she LOVES it)

In the bathtub with a worm (soaking in a bath of warm water)

Another worm pic.... taking it into her hiding place :)

Monty :)

LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #44 
LionCalie

Monty is adorable.

My Crested Gecko gets a low watt heat bulb in the winter, otherwise the temp in his tank drops below 70 F and he becomes unhappy. I use a deep dome reptile lamp so there is no risk of him being burnt when he walks upside down on the screen.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #45 
nel3

i picked up all the supplies for the gecko and a bit more. i paid $80 for him but it beat any +$90 without tax at any LRS/LPS. there were some that were $20 cheaper but the travel time itself didnt merit the cost. heres the tank setup. its a 14.5' x 8.5' x 10' large KK its only until the KK gets too small then its a 10 or 20g. i havent been abble to walk him onto my hand yet so i just left his 1/4g kk inside the large kk. he's 7-8 months old, weight unsure, could be 16 ounces. i'll wait for himto be more comfy in there before pulling out the scale. i have 2 such KK, one has the CT and the other has the gecko. funny thing is that when i got the kk for the CT 5 weeks ago the sliding access panel was 7.5' x 6' on the cove. i got the same kk but the access window had shrunk to 4' x 3.5'. think i got an old model cover. i swapped the covers for the ct and gecko. the gecko needs the humitidty more than the ct. he's phasing dark atm but im not surprised. i got home a bit late before when i need to go to sleep. i wrapped the broken ends of the branches with masking tape, later on i'll cut them properly or use AQ sealant to fill in sharp points.

Last edited by nel3; 12-27-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #46 
4mb3rNich0l3

What are you using for substrate? I personally would use just paper towels just to avoid impaction as best as possible :p that's all I uses for my leopard geckos and crested geckos when I owned them

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
i picked up all the supplies for the gecko and a bit more. i paid $80 for him but it beat any +$90 without tax at any LRS/LPS. there were some that were $20 cheaper but the travel time itself didnt merit the cost. heres the tank setup. its a 14.5' x 8.5' x 10' large KK its only until the KK gets too small then its a 10 or 20g. i havent been abble to walk him onto my hand yet so i just left his 1/4g kk inside the large kk. he's 7-8 months old, weight unsure, could be 16 ounces. i'll wait for himto be more comfy in there before pulling out the scale. i have 2 such KK, one has the CT and the other has the gecko. funny thing is that when i got the kk for the CT 5 weeks ago the sliding access panel was 7.5' x 6' on the cove. i got the same kk but the access window had shrunk to 4' x 3.5'. think i got an old model cover. i swapped the covers for the ct and gecko. the gecko needs the humitidty more than the ct. he's phasing dark atm but im not surprised.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #47 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mb3rNich0l3 View Post
What are you using for substrate? I personally would use just paper towels just to avoid impaction as best as possible :p that's all I uses for my leopard geckos and crested geckos when I owned them
im using exo terra plantation soil, coconut hsuk fiber. does impaction made the ground harder over time enough to harm a gecko?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #48 
4mb3rNich0l3

lol I meant the gecko can get impacted :p. If it consumes too much loose substrate then it can die because of the buildup in the stomaches. Have you joined the crested gecko forum? Pangea is a good forum if you wanna join. They help allot with any info or problems you may run into
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #49 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mb3rNich0l3 View Post
lol I meant the gecko can get impacted :p. If it consumes too much loose substrate then it can die because of the buildup in the stomaches. Have you joined the crested gecko forum? Pangea is a good forum if you wanna join. They help allot with any info or problems you may run into
DOH! would keeping the feeding plate clean help? i plan to put it on a small plastic cover.

i have yet to join a Gecko forum. the breeder did suggest rhacscanada
Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #50 
4mb3rNich0l3

I personally would keep all loose substrate out(I'm paranoid about stuff like that though lol). But some would says its OK as long as you keep any food items away from the substrate so it cant be accidentally ingested while trying to eat

I dont know about canadian forums :) but it looks legit haha.
http://www.forums.repashy.com/
http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/
These 2 are the ones I always used when I was allowed to keep geckos :)