Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #1 
scrap

My little Petsmart refugee

I got this little guy from a local petsmart when my mom forced an old 1 gallon tank on me (I've learned a fair bit of betta care and he is moving to a 5gal soon), not knowing how bad shape he was in. I picked him because he was silver....and he turned red in a clean, heated tank. though petsmart told me he was a HM (the first I had heard of such a thing..I also saw dragons that day), but despite his health being noticeably better I'm a bit worried about his fins.

Name:  2011-12-12_07-04-23_153[1].jpg
Views: 106
Size:  51.4 KB

His tail is short and ragged..and the top (dorsal right?) fin is a bit narrow, limp, and paler than the rest of him...and his color is still pretty far off from anything I've seen anywhere else...a light red that seems to have a whitish shimmer to it....can someone tell me if there's something wrong? or do I just have a strange little fellow?
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Butterfly coloring looks like either serious finrot (maracyn one or two and AQ salt for ten days with every day water changes) Or serious tailbiting. (In that case AQ salt to close the wounds) Betta's dorsals tend to hang limp.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #3 
Myates

Hi and welcome!

He is a cute little guy, will be real handsome once he is feeling better!

As mentioned above, could be rot or tail biting.. I zoomed in and I didn't see any black edges, but a couple possible spots.

To be honest, from experiences of many betta owners all he needs is clean water and a good diet, and if anything to add in- Stress Coat can help in fin regrowth.

Maracyn 1&2 are harsh chemicals and neither of those will be good to use on him right now since his fins look clean- even the missing parts...

While he is in the 1 gal, and for the next couple of weeks I would go ahead and change his water 50% every 2-3 days. Normally that is too much, but wanting to make sure there is no rot going on and that is the safest way to treat it, if he has any.

If you can get an up close picture of his tail, that will be helpful in verifying whether or not he has rot.

AQ salt is good to have on hand, but honestly, as I mentioned before that I did zoom in and saw only a couple possible spots that may be rot.. but other then that I saw none, just clean edges from tail biting.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #4 
scrap

The thing is, the edges, though jagged, appear pretty clean and natural..and I sort of dismissed fin rot because after about 2 weeks now they have still shown no deterioration, though I could be very wrong. I have been using stress coat as my dechlorinator by the way. anything about the limp fin? just more rehab time needed you suppose?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #5 
Myates

He may always have a limp fin- either genetics or poor water quality prior to you bringing him home. But good nutrition full of protein and clean water will do wonders in healing the fins- along with the stress coat.

Good to hear you see no signs of fin rot- means once you are able to, he can go into his home with no worries or added water changes :)

Clear-white (white coloring, not cottony growths) on the edges of the fins means new fin growth, always a good sign.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #6 
scrap

I thought that was just his coloring...ah well, better to hear he's growing. I can't wait to see how he progresses. I've heard AQ salt is good for helping heal after tailbiting too, do you think I should get any or just wait to see how he fares?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #7 
Silverfang

AQ salt is a good thing to have on hand, along with epsom salt. Right now just clean water, and a good diet should be fine. Stress coat is also quite nice.

My guess is he might have chewed on his tail a bit at some point, and it does look like he might have new growth coming in.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote