Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #1 
Gizmothefreaky

The curious case of Benten and the Sorority

So for a couple months i have been keeping Benten, a blind CT, in a breeder box attached inside the sorority, because he had been having some issues eating (not able to find the food before it sank).

Well two days ago, i went to feed him, and he was nowhwhere to be seen... o.o I found him a minute later, schooling with the girls under their feeding ring! He had jumped out of the breeder box, and into the main tank! D: I freaked out for a minute before i realized they were actually HELPING him find the ring, and when i put food there, they all ate happily...

I dont understand why this is working, or hope that it will CONTINUE to work, but for now it is all good. :3 he has been doing very well with the girls, and they dont show any sign of aggression with him at all. In fact i believe they think he is a girl with long fins. lol!

Now, to make this perfectly clear, I DO NOT SUGGEST THAT EVERYONE GO OUT AND DO THIS!!! It can, and often does, end in death! I am only allowing this to continue until i see the very slightest hint of aggression, and then they are being separated again.

What do you all think about this?

(also, he has only built one bubble nest in his life, and even if there was a spawn (never gunna happen as he wouldnt be able to see the eggs, or the girl for that matter), all of the fry/eggs would be eaten by the other girls. there are no places for the fry to hide in the sorority. )
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

16 views and not a single comment? o.o;; I thought i would at least get a panicked plea to separate them... lmao! j/k

Just poking at you guys. X3
Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #3 
xXbrokencrownXx

wow!
thats amazing! I hope it works out! It sounds so cute, I love when there are stories of animals helping other helpless animals out :P
xXbrokencrownXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

It has been working quite well so far! :D I am very pleased, the sweet girls are so gentle with him! Not a single nipped fin anywhere.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #5 
bettafish15

That sounds amazing! I hope no one comes in here and bashes you for it. Hey, the fellow is blind, and I see no harm in it as long as there is no aggression. :) Can we have pictures :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #6 
Badjer

That's just awesome! I'd love to see some pictures of him schooling with the girls. It constantly amazes me how these fish have such unique behaviors.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #7 
LittleBettas

I'd love to see pictures!
It always amazes me of how AWARE animals, even fish, are of each other, I know in most cases, it is survival of the fitest, but I have seen a few cases, in petstores and such, where rather than pick on "odd man" (either blind, missing and eye or a fin) the other fish would school with him/her and during feeding, would give the odd guy room (rather than cramming to feed)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #8 
Gizmothefreaky

I wasnt able to get super clear shots... But i did get these three. X3 He freaks out when the flash goes off. (i think he can see lights and shadows a bit)
Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #9 
Gizmothefreaky

The third shot is actually the first one i took, and then realized that the glass was streaked and cleaned it for the other two. XD
Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #10 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Hey, hope that works out well. If he's having problems eating and the girls had helped him... and hey, he's blind... what's the real harm?

Seriously a pretty cool story to hear, tho'.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote