Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #1 
Alienchick017

Best to breed?

I have been preparing to breed Bettas for around a year. I was going to do a "test run" with 2 pet shop Bettas that i love but changed my mind because if Im going to do this i want to do it right and would rather breed quality Bettas that people will really want to give good homes to. So now I am trying to decide on what type and color i should buy to breed. Which type and color are people mostly wanting now? And could you give me ideas of good breeders to buy from? I'm really wanting to buy from someone in the US but i want the best pair i can get :)
Alienchick017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #2 
Alienchick017

Anyone? :/
Alienchick017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

KUDOS to you for wanting to start off with a quality pair!!!! You're off to such a much better start that way! I wish more new members approached breeding this way.

As for color and type really you'll find someone who likes almost anything. Marbles and dragons seem to be the most popular right now. Personally I'd go with marbles but that's because I'm not much of a fan of dragons. However really anything goes. My multicolor HM spawn sold in like two weeks. Everyone falls in love with something different.

As for type.. I would either go with HM or HMPK. I prefer longfins but a nice looking HMPK is just as catchy as a nice looking HM.

As for sellers it might be hard to find a lot in the US right now, a lot of sellers are holding off for the winter due to the dangers of shipping this time of year.

I recently purchased an HM from the seller "Hynguyen" on AB and he has decent looking stock (not super show quality but not full of faults either). He is a great seller but you will have to make sure you request a heat pack (I didn't because most other sellers I've dealt with put one in automatically this time of year.. and my fish was VERY cold when he got to me).

Basementbettas has nice fish but watch out for some of her more extreme RT she has available. I would not go down the rosetail path if I were you, you're only opening yourself up to more deformity. She does have excellent females however.

The seller Hopdiggidy has some decent female imports right now but no males.

My favorite American sellers are Martinismommy or Dragonlady. Martinismommy doesn't have any auctions posted right now but it can never hurt to send her an email and see if she possibly has anything she'd be willing to sell right now. For her and most sellers its the cold weather that deters them from posting auctions because even with express shipping it can be dangerous. Dragonlady bred the gorgeous girl in my avatar but I'm not sure if she has anything available right now or not.

A final option would be to join the IBC. It's only $20 for a year long membership and once you join you have access to the forum and yahoo group where you can post an add looking for fish and see if anyone has something they could sell you.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #4 
tpocicat

Just a word of warning: I learned the hard way, it's better to wait until the weather warms up if you want a better chance of your fish arriving alive. As far as the bettas to buy, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #5 
Curlyfatbottom

i agree with 1fish2fish on the marble.
you just can't go wrong with it.
sq line and pet shop betta is not that different.
if you have an eye on what your doing.
you will produce the same fish on the long run.
if your planning to look for a hm or hmpk
look for 9+ ray/8+end ray
clean edge
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #6 
EvilVOG

If you want to know what's "hot" right now check out aquabid, you can see from there what people are selling the most of, and for the most money.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #7 
Myates

Chard56 has some excellent bettas.. he is on the forums here as well.
But as mentioned above, it may be harder to find ones to be shipped.. you will also need to time yours right so that you will be able to ship when it is warmer as well.

I personally think you can't go wrong with marbles- whites, yellows, coppers, oranges, true greens and blacks seem to go quicker.. also the most purple looking go quickly as well. Dragons you tend to not be able to go wrong with, always have a demand for them.

PK, HM, D(bl)T, SDT are also very popular.. Breeding CT x HM has also given rise to the development of what is commonly called a HALF SUN -- Combtail Halfmoon. This is a very beautiful type. Too bad heart and triple tails aren't so common now :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #8 
monroe0704

I personally wouldn't use Chard56... There are too many faults in his bettas (and some w obvious deformity) for my taste. I got all my stock from martinismommy and select Thai breeders. I've never had any issue breeding martinismommy's bettas and their form is very strong!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #9 
Myates

First I ever heard of anyone unhappy with his fish.. not that I am disregarding your experience. I was just mentioning it as he does have good fish overall- may not all be show quality, but the fish and colors are still real good, and good for a beginner who is starting to breed.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #10 
monroe0704

They are definitely a step up from petco/Petsmart, but just not top of the line as far as shows go. If the OP wants fish a little more sturdy than the pet store, and isn't concerned about entering them in shows, then his bettas are ok for breeding. It's all in the eye of the beholder :)
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote