Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #1 
thekoimaiden

*Waves*

I enjoyed reading the bios on other members I have seen around the forum, so I thought I should properly introduce myself to this forum. I joined the site via TFK. At first I just thought this was a huge subform of TFK. I never knew this was a whole different site. Only recently did I discover that in order for my signature to show up I need to be signed into Bettafish.com. So, sorry if it doesn't always show up.

Now about my hobby. I got into it with a high school senior project that involved goldfish in a 55 gal; I tried to teach them tricks using some guide I found (didn't really work). It has evolved into a 4k gal koi pond, 55 gal goldfish tank, 29 gal Pangio loach tank, and 2 10g divided betta setups (seeing all the pictures of beautiful bettas here enticed me to buy 2 more). I like huge fish or small fish. Almost nothing in between. My goldfish are pushing 6 inches and the koi are over a foot each; my loaches are as long as a finger. I have low-tec plants in all my setups. When I get the room I'd like to add a tank of livebearers.

I'm recent college graduate with a degree in fisheries science which covers fish biology, management, and conservation. Really the only classes that are applicable at all to my hobby were ichthyology and fish ecology. Most of what I studied pertained to management of wild fish. Right now I'm looking for a job in the aquaculture industry although my heart truly lies in fish conservation. I am very knowledgeable when it comes to the topics of overfishing and foodfish. I thoroughly enjoy science as a whole and find reading scientific journals to be very interesting. I would love to ultimately end up with a doctorate and do research for a university.

My other pets include 2 dogs and 3 cats. (Does a boyfriend count, too?) All of our animals are rescues. Some on purpose. Some not. The motto for my house seems to be: "You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it sure helps." I've always been an animal lover. I wanted to be a vet when I was younger, but I can't deal with euthanizing animals. I know it needs to be done sometimes, but it's too heartbreaking for me.

My other hobbies include writing, photography (still haven't been able to get fish tank photography down tho, grrr), hiking, and canoeing.

Hmmm. I think that's about it.

Oh ya. I'm also fond of amphibians and reptiles and insects. Not really a fan of arachnids or birds. I don't have anything against them; they're just not things that I would ever care to collect/house/study.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #2 
diablo13

Pleased to meet you, koimaiden :) I've always liked koi, do youts have names? The loach tank sounds very interesting. How many species do you have?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #3 
Myates

Hello! And yes, a boyfriend can definitely count.. as sometimes they are hairy, they will eat anything in the house and if you pet them in the right spot they will either purr or roll over and twitch a foot
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #4 
vaygirl

I love koi! There's a lfs near me that has a huge pool the back of the store with koi in it. I'm always hanging over the side to watch them like a big kid. I'd love to have goldfish but I have no room for a proper setup. Your house sounds wonderful. :D. It's great to meet you!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

It's been great to meet all of you, too!

You sound like you have an interesting house, too, Jimmy. My koi are my pride and joy. They all have names. Byakko, Suzaku, Umi, Genbu, Halloween, and Kurama. The two in my sig are Byakko on the left and Kurama on the right. I've never been able to get a picture of all of them together, tho. I'll try again next spring. The pond is bundled down for the winter now. I just have Pangio oblonga in my loach tank right now. I used to have a P. doriae that were mistakenly labeled as P. oblonga, but that little guy died. :( Can you believe I bought these loaches from WalMart? They were being sold in the same cups as bettas! One day I would love to add P. kuhlii. With loaches the more the merrier, and I have room for a lot more. I <3 eely loaches.

Wow, Myates. You just described my boyfriend almost to a T. So make that 3 cats, 2 dogs, and 1 hairy Swede. :P
Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #6 
Myates

Teehee! Mine isn't hairy, but if you rub his tummy he'll whimper, and any food in the house will be gone in a flash :D Funny, when I cook I usually have him and our actual dog just outside the kitchen waiting for something to drop But we love them.. silly men..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Nice to meet you Izzy....we are all a pretty interesting and diverse group of people around here.....laffs.....

I would love to have a Koi pond...those are some pretty awesome fish...I have seen some real beauties.....and some can really be expensive.....I was looking at some Koi forums and... wow.....the pride these keepers take in their Koi is impressive.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Mine will purr when you scratch his head. Silly boys. They're full of foolishness but we love 'em anyways. I don't have enough hands to scratch all the backs, heads, and tummies of everything in the house. Thank goodness the fish don't want a head scratch.

OFL, I have seen some koi sell for so much that you would have to mortgage the house in order to pay for them! They were beautiful fish, but so far out of my price range. Luckily I got all of mine for under $50 a piece. I'm proud of my pond, too. It take a lot of work (different from normal fish tanks) and a lot of energy. And the fish live so long. 20-30 years for a decently cared for koi. That's like a member of the family.

If anyone wants to see it, I know I have some pictures of it under my aquariums. I also have some older pictures under my albums.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #9 
vaygirl

Oh WOW. That is a gorgeous pond. You did a wonderful job. Really! That looks so peaceful.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nice to meet you, Izzy. We're pretty fun loving around here, too. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote