Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #1 
thejapanesezombie

important question

I dont know where I heard but I want to make sure this is safe.

I have a snail shell I found on the teach of the dominican republic. Can I put this in my fresh water tank? If not, why?
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #2 
Myates

Some shells will cause the pH to raise, as the salt water in them will release.

As long as it's completely clean (I would boil some water, then soak the shell in the hot water for a while to kill off anything that might be living on it) it should be fine.. as it's usually the clam shells - silver dollar types people try to use- snail shells I would be more worried about anything on/in it then the shell itself.

How big is it, and how big is your tank?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #3 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Some shells will cause the pH to raise, as the salt water in them will release.

As long as it's completely clean (I would boil some water, then soak the shell in the hot water for a while to kill off anything that might be living on it) it should be fine.. as it's usually the clam shells - silver dollar types people try to use- snail shells I would be more worried about anything on/in it then the shell itself.

How big is it, and how big is your tank?
even if I boil it, it will still raise the pH? I'm worried about that because my water is hard as it is and the pH is around 7.4

EDIT: it's an inch big all aroud, tank is 5.5 gal

Last edited by thejapanesezombie; 12-11-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #4 
Myates

I can't even be a 100% sure it will raise the pH, as snail shells are a little different then the other shells you find on the beach.
If you have a test kit, you could always check to see- place it in a bucket with water conditioner, test the water prior, then add in shell and test again 24 hrs later. That is the only way you can be sure how it will affect your tank.

7.4 is actually really good for pH- ideally 7.0 is what people want for their bettas.. so yours is actually a good number. I would say to keep an eye on it, if it raises it, it will do so slowly and your betta will adjust on his own. Bettas can go pretty high in the pH chart with no ill side effects.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #5 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
I can't even be a 100% sure it will raise the pH, as snail shells are a little different then the other shells you find on the beach.
If you have a test kit, you could always check to see- place it in a bucket with water conditioner, test the water prior, then add in shell and test again 24 hrs later. That is the only way you can be sure how it will affect your tank.

7.4 is actually really good for pH- ideally 7.0 is what people want for their bettas.. so yours is actually a good number. I would say to keep an eye on it, if it raises it, it will do so slowly and your betta will adjust on his own. Bettas can go pretty high in the pH chart with no ill side effects.
Thank you! If it does raise my pH I will just remove it. But I will soak it in boiling water first. The shell is REALLY old. I've had it for 8 years or so
Old 12-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #6 
Myates

Ah.. well make sure the water isn't boiling anymore when you place it in.. don't want it to break as being so old and out of the natural enviroment, it may be a bit brittle.

I hope it works out for you! And if it only raises the pH by a small amount, then I would still use it- as I mentioned, your boy will adjust to it just fine.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #7 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Ah.. well make sure the water isn't boiling anymore when you place it in.. don't want it to break as being so old and out of the natural enviroment, it may be a bit brittle.

I hope it works out for you! And if it only raises the pH by a small amount, then I would still use it- as I mentioned, your boy will adjust to it just fine.

Thanks Myates :) you're always such a great help!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #8 
Myates

D'awww gee shucks, thanks!

I read your edit, inch around in a 5 gal, I doubt you will see any raise- but go ahead and use the hot water to clean it.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #9 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
D'awww gee shucks, thanks!

I read your edit, inch around in a 5 gal, I doubt you will see any raise- but go ahead and use the hot water to clean it.
:) <3 all the people here are so friendly. I think I found the perfect community for keeping betta fish!

Just did set it in hot water :) should be ready to go seeing as I have to do daily changes until my tank cycles anyways! (Gosh I can't wait until it does @ . @) I wasn't sure if it would do anything to a 5 gallon, but it's better safe than sorry and I'd rather ask people who know since I'm very new to having an aquarium bigger than 2 gallons!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #10 
Myates

lol only tanks I have larger then 2 gallons are not for bettas :P My bettas don't have mansions like a 5 gallon, just condos lol. And it is always better off safe then sorry- no question is too silly for us. I think we all have either heard it before, or done it ourselves at one time or another (ssh! hehe)