Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Maracyn 1 and 2 dosage question

Alright someone helped me diagnose my fish Kai with an infection and gave me a list of antibiotics to buy. The easiest to obtain was maracyn one and two so I bought it but it says to add entire contents of one package on each one to ten gallons every 24 hours for 5 days.

Kai is in a 3 gallon. Do I add just a teaspoon like if I was treating him for finrot with AQ salt? I'm treating him with maracyn formula's and epsom salt so please...How much would be a proper dosage? I need to treat him TODAY.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

Sorry he's not feeling well... please answer the following so we can help you out better... and it would help us greatly to know what kind of infection Kai has been diagnosed with, how they came to that conclusion, and what their qualifications for diagnosing are. (nothing personal to whoever it was, but we don't know)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
Sorry he's not feeling well... please answer the following so we can help you out better... and it would help us greatly to know what kind of infection Kai has been diagnosed with, how they came to that conclusion, and what their qualifications for diagnosing are. (nothing personal to whoever it was, but we don't know)

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Nope.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Marimo ball.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day or every other day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% to 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nothing it's Reverse Osmosis (RO) water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I haven't.

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lost color in face, lost weight has his mouth open all the time.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Listless, hard breathing, clamped fins his gils look a little swollen
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A month ago I've been asking for weeks and had resorted to treating him myself with no advice on what to do. He's had his good weeks and his bad weeks. One week he's totally and utterly normal acting the next listless but still builds bubblenests.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes he had Popeye in October.

How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year. I got him on Mother's Day of this year.
There and the exact symptoms I described as well as how he's had some spazz attacks was how we came to the conclusion it's an infection and reading the box instructions of what diseases it works on it sounds like he has a gill infection. Sakura8 helped me after no one else was this is probably the fastest reply I've gotten regarding my baby's illness.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

SERIOUSLY I HAVE TO DOSE HIM RIGHT NOW! NO TIME FOR GAMES SERIOUSLY! This is why I haven't posted anything about him for this entire time caus as soon as someone get's their answer they take WEEKS to even start to get back to me! COME ON! Please just tell me how much to dose for a betta and we'll do it from there!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

I'm not good at the math portion of this, but you can get some separate containers and dose each with the medications (Or just one and dose it with both).

I find it easier to put the entire packet in and mix up a super concentrated formula before measuring out a bit of it into a measuring cup.

I use 1 gallon jugs, and just go from there.

Perhaps try PMing Darkmoon or Sakura for a more accurate measurement?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

I wound up calling the actual company and my dad who's a chef wound up making some measurements too for his tank size and we think we got the right dosage. They say use half for five gallons so for three we used a third.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #7 
EvilVOG

sorry i hadn't gotten back i got caught up in some things.

I don't really know alot about Reverse Osmosis water. But there's things that make water ok for people, that might not be good for your fish, as well as it may remove things that your fish needs. Hopefully someone who knows more about RO water will come along.

But water conditioners are important and should probably be used none the less as they often contain ingredients for the health of your fish.

Water changes recommended for that size tank is usually one 50 and one 100% a week, or one 100% every 4-5 days

other questions
Is he having trouble swimming?
Is your heater one of those "preset" heaters?

Hope the medication works.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

He is having some issues swimming he can't keep a float too good.

It's pre-set heater and it's gonna be replaced soon trust me. It's a Marina 10 watt.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #9 
EvilVOG

yeah those pre-sets are not real good about holding that "78" they say they do. I own one and have seen it drop as low as 74 at night and as high as 89 during the day when the lights are also on. That could be why he's okay some times and not okay and back again.

I would go ahead and lower the level in his tank so he can more easily get to the surface to breathe. Beyond that I don't really know. If Sakura8 turned you on to those meds than that's probably the way to go. I hope it works.

I used to have a friend named Kai.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

Thing is his he's comfyiest on his statue since that's his favorite spot normally. That tank has to be nearly full for him to be able to be comfortable...I'm releasing him onto the dragon's head because recently as in a half hour ago he had a bit of a spiral he had slipped and was hiding from us. We found him he was not moving and my mom netted him believing him to be dead.

He swam out alive and struggling so we did a small waterchange and he's acclimating but so stressed...