Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #1 
TheKingsFish

Camallanus Treatment

Hello All.

I am sorry to say that a member of my sorority is experiencing a resurgence of the Camallanus infestation that killed about half of my stock in June, despite my having quarantined everyone for months after treatment and bleaching every inhabited vessel, heater, filter, siphon, and net in my possession. I have enough Panacur left over to begin a treatment cycle for one tank, but do not have enough to treat everyone still in isolation.

I live in a very isolated area and friends of mine are going into town in January--Coeur d'Alene, Idaho--and would like to try to bring some levamisole based medicine back with them. What I am wondering is: which pet shops carry levamisol based de-wormers, which among these pet stores are in the area above, and what dosage to use. I want these little buggers to die once and for all.

If they cannot get it, I can also try to go into the Bellingham WA area and look there (2 weeks after my friends get back).

In the meantime, I am going to try to get one of our local vets to try to order in more Panacur to stave off the infection as best I can. In either visit there is going to be a very tight limit for time, so more information is better.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate this.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #2 
TheKingsFish

Further research suggests that farm supply shops are more likely to carry it, if that helps.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I use a levamisole-based bird wormer for my fish. It is called Avitrol plus, but I'm not sure if it is available over there or not. I use 2 drops per litre, and have never seen any ill-effects done to my bettas, not even to sensitive fry. I have heard people have had success with pig wormers in the past and these are probably more practical for treating larger volumes of water.

I did read somewhere that levamisole only paralyses the camallanus worms and doesn't actually kill them. Therefore, you have to clean the bottom of the tank very fastidiously to avoid your betta from ingesting any worms that have been passed.

Hope you can get this problem sorted. I have seen how much of a nightmare camallanus infestations can be.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Oh please don't tell me all this. Two of my boys have these worms and I've been treating for a week now with no improvement at all.

What I have read is that the levamisole is effective on the adult worms, as LittleBettaFish said. To get rid of the young worms, you have to use fenbendazole like you're doing (the Panacur). Are you using the Panacur to medicate food? I heard fenbendazole isn't effective in solution, only if ingested via medicated food.

I don't know if you can find it but occasionally Petsmart carries Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated pellets. These contain levamisole.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #5 
TheKingsFish

Is it safe to use both, or just one at a time?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #6 
Sakura8

I don't know. I was advised by a veterinary student to only use one med at a time. I'm getting mixed signals, though. The disease books that I have consulted all say fenbendazole is the only effective treatment but an internet source (self-proclaimed expert on camallanus worms) says levamisole is the only thing that kills them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #7 
TheKingsFish

Other aquarist forums also recommend mebendazole (such as Seargent's Worm-away IV), which is readily available near me. However, I am uncertain as to dosage, and what affect it would have on my Cories...or for that matter, if it would harm the bettas.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #8 
TheKingsFish

Details: There are many

0.5g isolation containers X 10
-contains 3 adult female bettas, 1 juvenile female betta, 1 adult male betta, and 5 juvenile male bettas

1.5g vases X 2
-both contain 1 adult male betta, with plants

2.25g Jars with heater and lid X 2
-both contain 1 adult male betta with heaters and plants

5g tank X 1
-divided in halves, contains 2 adult male bettas, with heater and plants

4g tank X 1
-contains 1 adult male betta, with heater and plants
-was previously divided between 2 adult males, but 1 died suddenly and adding a second, possibly infected male did not seem prudent, so divider was removed
-current occupant being treated for fin rot with Kanaplex

25g tank X 1
-6 Corydoras
- 4 free-range adult female bettas, 4 floating in isolation (see above)
-filter, heater, plants

10g tank X 2
-only half full, and primarily uninhabited
-was originally intended for spawning, but now in use for floating isolation containers (for warmth)
-heated with plants, and 1 apple snail

Works out to 46.5g +/- 10g (the half-full 10's)

Currently only 1 of the females (in isolation) has a visible worm that went from approx 2-3mm showing to 10 mm showing after a single dose of Panacur. 1 other female seems
extremely bloated and egg mass cannot account for all of it, but no other visible signs. Males seem otherwise unaffected, but preventative treatment seems necessary, as appearances can be deceiving and I know labyrinth fish can make excellent hosts for these little *****************
Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #9 
TheKingsFish

And please don't judge...the 0.5 g containers are easier to coat in saran wrap, and actually float so I can keep all my bettas warm in the winter. The house I live in is over 100 years old and my landlord does not seem keen on fixing the drafts properly, so the smaller boys have to float for now.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #10 
TheKingsFish

And advice on potential laxatives to help any dead worms that don't just release would also be helpful. To pea, or not to pea?