Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

When I had a fish present with dropsy, I used Avitrol Plus in addition with epsom salt. He passed this mass of worms about 24 hours later and went from looking acutely sick to making bubble nests and flaring at the betta over.

I believe it is not recommended to use a pea, as bettas are insectivores and it is not good for their digestive system. I do believe however, daphnia and brine shrimp are both good alternatives (daphnia in particular).
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #12 
Sakura8

Epsom salt and frozen daphnia or brine shrimp make good laxatives, as LittleBettaFish said. Pea is controversial here. If you do use pea, try to find frozen no-salt-added pea. Blanch it and take out a tiny bit from the middle, no bigger than a pellet.

I got levamisole online and now am just figuring out dosage. I could not find any bird dewormers anywhere near me. These worms are . . . ugggh.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #13 
TheKingsFish

I know what you mean. This is my second bout with it. In the last 24 hours I've lost 3 of my 6 cories and 1 is not looking very well. I hope shallow water might help him a little (at least I think it's a boy), but I'm not really sure. *sigh*
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Good luck, KingsFish. The levamisole seems promising. I did see two worms drop off one of my guys, which I've never seen before with the fenbendazole-medicated food. Here's hoping.

And I'm so sorry about your cories. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote