Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #1 
Silverfang

Parasites? Eggs? or something else?

I have a new girl who I'm treating for possibly parasites, if not definitely eggy. I just need opinion on what this is. I changed her water maybe 2 hours ago, adding 1/4 of a jungle parasite fizzy tab (correct dossage for her tank) and I've found this on the bottom. I'm wondering if it is a parasite, or perhaps part of the tab that didn't dissolve.

I'm fairly certain the smaller white dots are eggs, but would love a second opinion. Never treated for parasites before, so I'm hoping I'm just being overly paranoid.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1323730124
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #2 
Myates

Internal parasites you will see when they go to the bathroom, stringy white poo and if you look closely you can see little tiny worm like parasite. I honestly can't see which white speck you believe is the parasite :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #3 
GreenTea

They just look like eggs to me. Parasites show up as white dots on the fish, a gold sort of covering on the fish, in the white poop (although white poop doesn't always mean parasites) or as flukes which look like tiny t shaped things hanging off of your betta.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #4 
Silverfang

the little bit she has pood is stringy and white, however I'm not sure if it's eggy poo or parasite poo. Considering how she looks, and the fact she may have spent days sitting between half a dozen males, she could be either eggy or infected with parasites. The unidentified stuff I was talking about was in the bottom of the picture, but it's not a very good shot.

The more I look at her the more I think just super eggy, her eggspot is quite noticeable, and just above that is where she is rather large.

My biggest concern is when it's time to put her into the sorority. Eggy I can deal with, she can just have mood swings, parasites, will infect the 8 other ladies.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #5 
GreenTea

It doesn't sound like she has parasites. Is she rubbing against things, twitching, lethargic? I'm a little concerned you treated her with an intense medicine, hopefully that won't stress her out since she just got home.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Not the best picture but this is her.
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1323740330

I was advised by someone that I'd be safer to go ahead and treat her now. Of course she said this only after she asked if there were anymore CT females.

I don't think she's darting, she is trying to fight the evil thermometer, and likes to take the hard way to get over the tops of the leaves. But I don't think she's rubbing, she's quite content to sorta hover, I know she's chanting food now!

Edit she was a bit lethargic the first night, of course she went from a cup to 10L (2.65 gal) with three giant plants. She just sorta conked out between the leaves.

Plan on doing a partial change in two days and a full change Friday.

Last edited by Silverfang; 12-12-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Was her poo the same color as the little white dots? Then you could be right, they're eggs.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #8 
Silverfang

The first time I saw her poo it was the same as the super tiny dots, the next two times it was more of an off white, like the larger ones. But I'm leaning towards undissolved tablet for that.

Tell you this Sakura, your niece isn't the brightest... here's hoping you can educate her.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Told you she had my brains.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote