Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Mysterious Vanishing Dorsal

my brother's Wheatly's starting to worry me. He's a cute li'l pinky-lavender Veil, but his dorsal's always been strange. started normal, then it got white all around the edges, and seemed to shrink. checked on him today, and he's got a sliver of dorsal left! where the rest was, is this raised white scaling. not raised, like pineconed, raised like someone stuck sticky-tack on his back. o.0 he's VERY active, very healthy, wonderful appetite.... what the HECK could be eating his dorsal?! and, it's JUST his dorsal!

hhmm... why's my font like that?

anyways!

Wheatly lives in a 2.5 gallon tank, unheated, but his room stays constantly hot. his water's changed every week, and he's fed every other day, unless i spoil him with more nomz. he's active and healthy, other than the strange mass where his dorsal was. i'd snap a photo, but he things the camera's evil and flares and darts about when i try to snap photos.

btw, if you don't know what it is, this is sticky tack: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/263...ticky_tack.jpg they use it alot at schools to put things on the wall. it's a putty.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #2 
Myates

A trick I would try: have your brother feed him and as he is eating and looking for the food, take a pic- it may work.

It sounds like it could be a couple of different things though-

Is the white area and the sliver of dorsal fin have any white cottony puffs around it? The fungal form of fin rot eats away at the fins in an even manner, not like the bacterial form that is commonly seen in fin rot- black and flaking off.
It could of been a bacterial infection as well. Or lymphocystis that turned into an infection.. but without pictures it will be hard to tell.

For now I would go ahead and to an AQ salt treatment as that will help kill off a lot of bacteria if it is what is happening to him right now- it may also help clean it out if there is an infection. But for now, AQ salt until you can get a picture up so we can diagnose it properly-

Start out with 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon, pre dissolve it, water conditioner, daily 100% water changes.. the normal drill.

But in all honesty it sounds as if either a bacteria infection or fungal fin rot... and when you said it started out white around the edges, makes me think fungal rot.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #3 
Luimeril

nothing puffy or cottony at all. it just... vanished. it can't be any kinda rot... :T i can usually pick out rot. it's white, not red or black. as i said, he's active and happy, healthy otherwise. i'll try to get pics after i change Spy's water. maybe get him to do a water change, put him in my half-gallon KK and snap photos(photo shoot time!). :T
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #4 
Myates

There are two types of rot- the black/red type which is bacterial, and a white one which is a fungal and it doesn't show up like a fungal invasion on the body, sometimes it's just a little bit white and puffy, and I've seen some not puffy.

To me that is the only thing that makes sense as the fungal fin rot will eat away the fin in an even, uniform fashion. But without pictures, can't be a 100%, and you're eyes are better then mine :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #5 
Luimeril

pfft... my eyes suck. :U

but, i always thought rot started at the tips and worked down, not started all around the edges, then started at the edge and rotted back. o.0 as i said, once i'm done with Spy's tank, i'll get my brother to let me change Wheatly's water.