Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #1 
NoahG

Two Little Females: Couple of Questions

All right, so yesterday, after keeping an eye on them for a good while, I picked up a couple of female crowntails who are currently each in their own large Critter Keeper. I couldn't resist: I fell for them. They're so little though that their mouths are too tiny for the pellets I had on hand -- Bebette couldn't even get them in her mouth -- so I had to drive to Petco and pick them up some NLS Small Fish Formula. They're fed and eating well now (they ate these pellets no problem), but I have a question...

Is there an easier way to feed these?

It's like trying to feed them grains of sand. What's the trick? Tweezers? Something else?

Also, I'm curious as to whether there's any real benefit to using a filter in a tank this size...I've heard it eliminates the need for 100% water changes but is that right? I know it's difficult to get a steady cycle on anything less than 5-gallons. Is it only with filters that use carbon that there's no need for 100% water changes (if that is true)? Or would a sponge filter accomplish the same thing?

I'm a bit confused on this as I hadn't really thought about or looked into this before, but now it's been on my mind and I can't quite get things sorted.

ETA: I realize the food question should have gone in the Care section of the forum -- my apologies, I thought that was where I was posting (apparently wasn't paying attention to which section I was looking in).

Last edited by NoahG; 12-10-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: my bad.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

First, I never got to say Welcome to the Forum yet, so Welcome!!

Usually female Bettas do better in a 10g tank, with larger numbers. Reason we say this is because your two girls could end up picking on each other. One will be the alpha and the other won't be. Your alpha will end up picking on your other girl, may even be to the point of death. Your other girl will have no means to escape the picking. Usually we recommend 5-6 females in a group to space out the aggression, so everyone gets a break while another female is being picked on. And well, the 10g is to give them enough room to swim and hide lol I hope you take this in to consideration (and who doesn't like a reason to have more Bettas!)

Second, a filter doesn't mean you don't do 100% changes unless your tank is cycled. If your tank isn't cycled, you still need to do 100% changes. The filter does help remove icky stuff from your tank, but it won't pull food or poops from the bottom of the gravel. The 100% change is best for that. With a 10g tank and a filter, you won't have to do 100% changes when it's cycled. 100% will remove the good bacteria (once dried, bacteria dies).

So while you don't need a filter in your tank, you could have one if you choose to. You would still need to do 100% changes though, to remove the food, poop and ammonia :) Hope this helps! And congrats! CT females are my favorite, I just lost my only CT female :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i had a female who was like that. so tiny, i had to crush her pellets, then got some NLS Grow. just give them each a teeny pinch. that's what i give all my bettas, is a small pinch of mixed pellets(it's mostly NLS Grow, though.).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i had a female who was like that. so tiny, i had to crush her pellets, then got some NLS Grow. just give them each a teeny pinch. that's what i give all my bettas, is a small pinch of mixed pellets(it's mostly NLS Grow, though.).

+1. Eventually you'll be wondering where your little female went haha My girls were small when I bought them at the pet store, and it's like one day, BOOM I had these big girls in my tank. They do grow quite quickly.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #5 
NoahG

First, thank you Pitluvs for the welcome.

Now, to the answers (and thank you both for answering).

No, no, sorry for the confusion -- each female has her own Critter Keeper, so they're completely separated. In fact, my male's tank is between the two of them and the three of them seem to like this set up (and I'm curious to see how his bubble nest building might be affected in all honesty). No worries, I know the minimum of 10-gallons and 5-6 girls. I would actually like a sorority at some point once I have more experience and the space for such a project (especially as I've developed a major soft spot for the female bettas), but that's a ways off yet. I'd like to set it up in a 20-gallon long, or even a 40-gallon if given the chance.

But yea, both girls are safe.

Thank you for clearing up my filter confusion -- it didn't make sense to me that a 100% water change wouldn't be necessary, so I'm glad to have that confirmed. I am thinking of upgrading my girls at some point, I just have to decide on a set up is all. I know what I'd like for my male (have it all planned out, just need to get the time to really sit down and order plants -- finals week this coming week, so soon enough), just need to figure something out for my two girls.

Now, as for the food, I tried crushing what I had and...yea, it's easier feeding the tiny pellets. I just wasn't sure if there were a trick to it...they stick to my fingers and they're so tiny I can't do what I do with the other pellets (put them on the lid and pick them up individually with the tip of my finger). Maybe I'll experiment a little.

I kind of don't want them to grow (I think they're freakin' adorable the size they are now), but I have no doubt they'll do so quickly -- I'm pretty sure Ezra's grown a bit since I've had him, and it's only been a little more than two weeks since I bought him. At least Bebette will be easier to find when she's grown a little bit.

Finally, thank you for the congratulations, Pitluvs! I really am completely smitten with my girls (and I think Ezra is as well).
Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

Oh! I thought you meant you had both in a large critter keeper. Ah durr lol Well what spoiled little girls. Sounds like you got that covered :)
Old 12-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #7 
NoahG

Haha, no worries, especially with the help that you've been.

They have a pretty decent set up now (though I'd like to get them at least one more plant each -- they each have two tall plants and good-sized hiding spots, it just seems a bit sparse to me), but I would still like to upgrading them at some point. I'll even be honest and admit that the 100% water changes are a factor in wanting a tank I can cycle -- I much prefer partial changes to full water changes.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 
Luimeril

i always gotta dig teeny pellets out from under my nails. if you have one of those teeny tiny scoopers, like what comes with a packet of Sea Monkeys, you could use that to scoop the pellets...
Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #9 
NoahG

Believe it or not, I've never had Sea Monkeys...I did consider tracking some down and getting some for the bettas, though I'm not sure how that might work.

I'll keep a look out though, thanks for the idea! I was going to try tweezers but couldn't find any so used my fingers again.

But I had a thought...at this size will they need more than two feedings a day? Or is that just for actual fry?

Their appetites are certainly good -- Bebette especially seemed enthusiastic, and they both went right to the middle to be fed (taking the lids off to feed them for now until the routine's more established). I'm not even sure if Bebette's fully colored up, she only really has a faint blue "tint" for lack of a better word; Haifisch is fully colored without a doubt though, though I'm not sure that her color won't change either.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #10 
Luimeril

i only feed my fish once a day, and Freya, the girl i spoke of, grew quickly! since i feed a pinch, and don't count out the pellets, i figure one feeding a day is enough.