Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #1 
autumnang

Strange growth, what is this?

Hi, my office-betta, Scotty, has this strange little white bump that can be seen from both sides of him; right where his body meets his back fin. I do not think this has been here forever, but I'm not sure when it first appeared, I'm only noticing it today. He doesnt seem to be acting any differently (yet!) but if this is going to get worse I'd love to know what I can do now to 'nip it in the bud'!

Scotty lives in a little 2.5 gal heated tank, he gets 50% water changes (with treated tap water) twice a week, eats Hikari betta bio-gold pellets with the occasional dried bloodworm treat. He blows bubble nests, flares, and seems to be quite normal other than this recent development...please help!

Thanks.
Attached Images

autumnang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #2 
autumnang

I just found another pic of Scotty that was taken back in October. The growth doesnt appear to be as big, but there does seem to be a little mark where the growth has evolved... thoughts??
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

It looks to either be lymphocytisis or possibly a small tumor. the first being the more common of the two.

Just keep his water clean, and if you notice that it is drastically smaller or that it looks somewhat different, do a thorough cleaning of the gravel.

If signs of infection start to appear, then you could start him on aquarium salt, but otherwise good water quality is all you can do for now.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #4 
Myates

Have to agree, looks like a text book case of Lymph- keep an eye on it, keep him in real clean water. If you see it "burst" then do a large water change and as mentioned above, AQ salt to help keep the bacteria at bay (1 tsp per gallon, pre-dissolved, daily 100% water changes, 10 days max).
It can sometimes take a little while for it to go away, but eventually it will as long as you keep the water clean and it doesn't get infected.

Handsome fish he is!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #5 
autumnang

Thank you for the reply! how will I know if it's getting infected? And Myates, should I start AQ salt now, or only in the event it bursts? Thanks much you guys, my last betta (RIP, Stanley) fell ill of some unknown disease earlier this year that had him lethargic and lying on his side for three weeks of QT treatments before he lost his battle. I really don't want to lose another one to sickness!!

Last edited by autumnang; 12-12-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #6 
Myates

If it bursts.. think like a pimple, it won't have the uniform shape and it may look crusty and red.. and just.. gross.. for lack of a better word, sorry!
You will also see his behavior change, more lethargic, not eating, loss of coloration.
Lymph may grow some more, which can be normal, comes in all shapes and sizes. Think of our warts- this can be similar to that.

If it looks worse at any point, go ahead and post a picture of it here on the forums and someone will be able to tell you whether or not it is infected or needs AQ salt added.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #7 
autumnang

Great, thanks so much!!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #8 
Myates

You're welcome!