Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #1 
charlotte

Heavy breathing, curled pectoral (?) fins

Saturday night I got a betta from Walmart in bad condition. He was laying on his side at the bottom of the cup breathing heavily and the fins next to his gills are curled forward. I have him in a gallon tank about halfway full at ~77 degrees. I added stress cost and aquarium salt and have it partially covered with a towel. The breathing gets better but when I bother him/ move the towel it starts again. The fins stay curled forward. He eats and swims around fine. Does anyone know what that is and how should I treat him?

Here's a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbuKu...e_gdata_player
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #2 
EvilVOG

AQ. Salt is usually used for stopping bacterial infections, ect. But until we know he has some illness that calls for it, i would not salt him. Particularly since he's really skinny. How is he eating, and what are you feeding him?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #3 
charlotte

Alright I'll change the water and not add anymore. I thought it might help because it says helps improve gill function haha... He eats what I give him but I havent fed him a lot, maybe 6 pellets since I got him. I feed him Top Fin Color enhancing pellets. Should I feed him frozen bloodworms?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #4 
EvilVOG

you could try some frozen bloodworms in place of a meal but mostly stick to the pellets. 2-3 twice a day or 3-4 once a day.

Salt is a treatment for gill infection but right now we don't know he has one. Mostly he needs to put some weight on.

and maybe put a coffee cup in there or a flower pot to hide in, maybe it will make him more comfortable with a place to hide since he's so stressed out.

have you seen him poo? was it white and stringy?
Can we get a pic or vid from the side, with close ups on the gills?
What are you using to condition his water?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 
charlotte

I see one poop and its light and one string. I put a coffee cup in there right now. I'll get a better picture soon but my camera just died, I'm charging it now. I used stress coat to condition but we don't have any chlorine in our water.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #6 
EvilVOG

Stress coat should be good, but there's more than chlorine in tap/well/softened/RO water that needs conditioner to remove.

You say there's no chlorine in your water. How is it removed? Water softeners use salt to alter the water, which when you're not treating a condition that requires salt can be harmful, And RO filters remove stuff from the water that fish need.

He could have internal parasites, which would account for his skinniness, but i don't have enough experience to diagnose it as that. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and help us with that. The pictures will also help them diagnose.

Last edited by EvilVOG; 12-12-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #7 
Myates

Aww poor little guy. It looks as if he has ammonia poisoning- is his mouth open at the surface of the water there in the video? I couldn't be too sure.. but I zoomed in and it does seem so. Are his gills red, or are there red streaks on/around his gills, as well as anywhere on the body?

Unfortunately for ammonia poisoning there isn't much you can do.. every other day 50% water changes for the next week or so would help as to not cause more burning/damage.

I wouldn't worry about the fins at this point, as that is most likely due to water quality- including ammonia damage. I wish I can say one way or the other that he will come through this, but if he does, the clean water may help reverse some of the cosmetic damage. Otherwise, it shouldn't affect him in every day life.

Stress coat is fine to use as a conditioner..

I would also recommend placing him in his home tank now since there is no medication needed, or one that could help- as mentioned above, having a bare tank can be stressful for them when they first arrive home. You mention he starts to breathe heavily when you move the towel.. so placing him in his home tank, or adding in silk plants to the tank will help him feel a little more secure and hopefully having less stress will help him heal a little easier/quicker. Keeping the tank dim, but not fully dark so there is still a day/night schedule is also recommended.

Keep us updated on how he is doing, and if possible, a picture or two from the side will help.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #8 
Myates

Charlotte! I was JUST thinking of you yesterday! Sorry I didn't realize who it was.. awww another little guy needing help? How are big red and blue doing? I'll have to grab Sakura to come say hi too! Teehee
Old 12-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #9 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
Stress coat should be good, but there's more than chlorine in tap/well/softened/RO water that needs conditioner to remove.

You say there's no chlorine in your water. How is it removed? Water softeners use salt to alter the water, which when you're not treating a condition that requires salt can be harmful, And RO filters remove stuff from the water that fish need.
Stress coat is also a water conditioner. Per the label:
Also works instantly to remove chlorine, chloramines and ammonia from tap water. Neutralizes heavy metals. Use when starting a new aquarium, adding or changing water and adding fish.
Just FYI :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #10 
Myates

Yup! I recently ran out of my regular conditioner and is now using my Stress Coat I use as an addition to my conditioner as the conditioner until I order more.