Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 
Aquatail

New Rescue, Need Advice

So today I went to Petco to get some cuttlebones and long story short, I came out with a new rescue. I haven't gotten a new rescue in quite a while so I was hoping you guys can give me some quick advice. Sorry that this is so long but please give advice if you can.

First, I know how to acclimate after a water change but for a new rescue I know you have to do it a lot longer. Can someone give me more specific instructions?

Second, should I try and feed him so soon? And how much should I try to feed him if he'll eat? Last December when I got my last rescue I called my Petco to ask how much they feed their bettas because I didn't want to stuff him and I was told they fed them "a pinch and a half every other day". I normally feed my bettas 8 Hikari pellets everyday. How much should I feed him now and how do I adjust him to eating more long term?

Lastly, except for warm water, what else should I do for him? Since he's been in the ammonia filled cup should I change him water more often for a while? Should I cover his tank with a towel?

Here are some pictures of him. He's kinda active but he does lay there some. He has perked up a bit since I've gotten home. I wasn't planning to get a new betta so I need to clean his new tank. Should I try to float him in one of my other tanks? I've heard of doing that but my other boys flare a lot so I'm worried they would freak him out. Thanks for any help!
Attached Images

Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #2 
PetMania

I wouldn't feed him for at least a day, unless he is emaciated. I would recommend feeding him either NLS, Omege One, or Atison's Betta Food. 4 pellets max.

For acclimation:
-Let cup/bag sit for 5 minutes
-Pour about a spoonful of water into cup/bag *WARNING: DO NOT USE A METAL OR USED SPOON
-Repeat steps 1-2 for 30 minutes
-Net him and place into tank

You can let him acclimate for longer if he seems in a bad condition. For the next few weeks, slowly do bigger water changes. Stress is not fatal, but harmful for him at this point. Covering the tank with a towel is an excellent idea.

I hope I helped. Please tell me if I need to be more specific or answer any other questions ;)
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #3 
Aquatail

Thanks for replying! :) Can you specify slowly? He's going to be in a 3 gallon. Normally for my 3 gallons I do 1 gallon on Tuesday and all 3 gallons on Friday. I can't get any other betta food right now so I'll have to use Hikari. Is that still four pellets max for now? I might try to see if he'll nibble on one tonight or in the morning.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #4 
PetMania

Hikari is fine for now. By slowly I mean do a 25% on Tuesday, a 40% on Friday, and get bigger until you hit 100%, and then you can stick to 1 gallon Tues, and all on Fri.
That's what I do for my rescues. Stress is not a good thing by any means, so going slowly would be best. I hope I am making sense :)
Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #5 
Aquatail

Ok, got it. :) Thank you!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #6 
PetMania

You're welcome! Let us know how everything goes :)
Old 10-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #7 
Aquatail

He seems to be doing well. :) I'm wondering how long I should keep him covered up with a towel?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #8 
PetMania

Probably until his stress calms down.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #9 
Aquatail

How can I tell? He doesn't look clamped and he's exploring some. Last night he ate the couple pellets I gave him.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #10 
PetMania

If he's exploring, eating, and not clamped, I'd say it's okay to take the towel off, but if he get's stressed or runs hides.....you may want to put the towel back on.